How much RAM do you have?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Of course. I was being funny.

Funny you need 2.5GB ram for FCE work when 2 GB does me fine with other programs running (MS Word, etc.).

Also, my windows computers do not do well with less than 1 GB ram but I don't do anything but ACAD and some large print jobs on them.

I do run AutoCAD + CorelDRAW + Firefox + a microcontroller development environment and I usually can get away with 1/2 gig, including system cache. A little more if I add Photoshop, a word processor and spreadsheet, still slides in under 3/4ths of a gig including system cache. As such, I've never had the need or desire to add more memory to them.

I can do FCE ( + Livetype) with just 2GB with other programs running but I find it works with less lag due to swapping if I kill a half dozen programs.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by __mø View Post

2gb on mbp, will push up to 3 if and when necessary

One Joe Drago posted this on slashdot.com. Any comments?

"I purchased a Mac Pro within the first week that they were available, and immediately upgraded to 3GB of RAM (knowing that OSX loves memory). When playing 3D games (World of Warcraft mainly), the game would Kernel Panic the machine if I had played it for a few hours, or if I swapped in and out of the game a few times, etc. I eventually found out (from an official Blizzard poster) that NVidia has a bug in their drivers that kernel panics a Mac Pro if any memory past the 2GB boundary is addressed in the driver. After waiting months for a resolution to this, I decided to post on Apple's support site. Here is an image of my post.. Within a few hours, they removed it from the site, placing it under 'Posts Removed by Administration.' What's going on here? Is Apple trying to hide this bug, or is there something more serious going on between Apple and NVidia?"

• Reply 63 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

If this is true, hopefully 10.4.9 fixes it. ATI wasn't discussed, but a Mac Pro /w ATI or the MBPs should be safe. Buying the 24" iMac with max memory might be a trouble spot.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If this is true, hopefully 10.4.9 fixes it. ATI wasn't discussed, but a Mac Pro /w ATI or the MBPs should be safe. Buying the 24" iMac with max memory might be a trouble spot.

Looks like I'll have to hold my build-to-order 3GB iMac24 until Apple themselves respond.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I have 1GB in my May 2005 Dual 2.0 G5, but that is starting to feel awfully cramped. Once the coffers regain themselves, I would like an upgrade. Should I go for 2 or 3GB?

4GB in my mac pro
  • Reply 66 of 72
    FYI regarding this bug and ATI, games on my macpro are perfect with the ATI1900XT and i have 4GB of RAM (4x1GB)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

"I purchased a Mac Pro within the first week that they were available, and immediately upgraded to 3GB of RAM (knowing that OSX loves memory). When playing 3D games (World of Warcraft mainly), the game would Kernel Panic the machine if I had played it for a few hours, or if I swapped in and out of the game a few times, etc. I eventually found out (from an official Blizzard poster) that NVidia has a bug in their drivers that kernel panics a Mac Pro if any memory past the 2GB boundary is addressed in the driver. After waiting months for a resolution to this, I decided to post on Apple's support site. Here is an image of my post.. Within a few hours, they removed it from the site, placing it under 'Posts Removed by Administration.' What's going on here? Is Apple trying to hide this bug, or is there something more serious going on between Apple and NVidia?"

• Reply 67 of 72
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I've 2 gbs of ram in my MBP. Today I opened all the apps I commonly use and left them open. (I've this bad habit left over from my windows days where I usually close Apps I'm not working with. Some old habits die hard.) I have open Excel, Pages, Safari, preview, iTunes, ical, and iPhoto. I still have 1.1 gb of memory free according to my trusty iStat nano. I glad I 've got it but I don't see how non-pros need more than 2 gbs of ram.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

256MB in my iBook G4. Need more...

Ouch! I have 640 MB and my Powerbook every day begs for more. As it is too old now I don't know if I will finally give it what it asks.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I've just ordered 8GB for my new Power Mac G5.

Oooh yeah!