iPhone doesn't work in?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A VERY interesting piece I got from todays newpaper?

"Customers in several states WILL NOT be able to take advantage of Apple's new iPhone, because of lack of a network offered by the carrier -AT&T's Cingular Wireless?

This WILL start to ply out in the media, and WILL have an effect on their stock price, and following (for awhile)

Alaska

Colorado

North Dakaota

South Dakota

Idaho

Iowa

Kansas

Maine

Minnesota

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hamphire

upstate New York

Oregon

Utah

Vermont and

Wyoming among other states!

Now these may seem like small states, or not that big of a deal to some folks, but I don't see how this can possiblie be the best way to announcing a new product. Maybe this is why Steve Jobs has said they hope to sell only 10,000,000? the contract / service doesn't offer the service to the other 30 + million buyers out there?

If, (and he had to know the coverage that is available) Steve knew this, maybe he should have had an special announcement / SelectMacExpo / just for those folks who are going to be able to enjoy, purchase and use this new phone.

Sure seems short sighted of Apple / Mr. Jobs, and a great job (but a bad one as well) - by AT&T to be the only source for the iPhone at this time.

If (and I suspect it will) - this issue comes to the for-front, I can't see Apple not adding carrieers ASAP - they can't afford the bad press? they get enough of that already.

And what about that special ad for the SuperBowl? Let's hope it isn't for the iPhone (and is for the Beatles & iTunes) - as it WOULD be a hugh waste of money to tell so many folks about something, they can't use.

Skip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Maybe this is why Steve Jobs has said they hope to sell only 10,000,000?

Yes, gee, only taking 20% of the smartphone market?*Jobs sure isn't the ambitious type.

• Reply 2 of 7
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    ?and it turns out NOT to be 20% of the market place, as AT&T even in the states they are in DO NOT HAVE FULL coverage. Some estimates have the coverage at less then 10% in those areas.

Now I guess we could hope, that this is the start of AT&T going on a buying spree and purchasing other phone companys -

Yes I know (I think) that Steve Jobs / Apple has done some research, and knows what they are doing, but it just looks like, they are telling a lot of potential customers - Thanks but no thanks.

Selling the iPhone to anyone who would care to buy it, and letting them get service where they are currently getting it, seems like a great way - to sell MILLIONS more of the phones, and after all, aren't they doing this for the money?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Maybe this is why Steve Jobs has said they hope to sell only 10,000,000? the contract / service doesn't offer the service to the other 30 + million buyers out there?

As I said in another thread where this was posted: you're forgetting the rest of the world.

The 10,000,000 iPhones was in 2008 where iPhone has been released in Europe and Asia. Europe is more or less fully covered with GSM.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I wonder why the "reporter" who wrote the story you read was spreading FUD about Cingular's coverage...

Cingular GSM coverage map

• Reply 5 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncadave03 View Post

I wonder why the "reporter" who wrote the story you read was spreading FUD about Cingular's coverage...

Cingular GSM coverage map

It is FUD

The reporter leads you to believe that none of those states will have coverage, but in reality, Cingular has coverage in just about every state, but not every area in every state they have coverage in, or even 100% coverage in any of the states.

Cingular is the largest Service Provider in the States, Apple made the right choice.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I know I'm currently using an Edge network phone in Utah. I don't like Cingular, but they are here. My personal phone is Verizon, but my work uses Cingular SmartPhones.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

I know I'm currently using an Edge network phone in Utah. I don't like Cingular, but they are here. My personal phone is Verizon, but my work uses Cingular SmartPhones.

You're the exact opposite of my dad. He has a cingular razr, and a verizon smartphone

sorry, i just found that sorta interesting