Mac OS X Leopard to sport next-gen DVD Player software

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A major upgrade to Apple's DVD Player software due to ship with the upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system release will pack oodles of new features wrapped in a sleekly overhauled user interface, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the latest pre-release builds of Leopard confirm it to include DVD Player 5.0, a significant upgrade to the version include with Mac OS X Tiger in regards to both functionality and aesthetic.

Most prominent of enhancements is a sprawling fullscreen chapter navigation interface, set -- like the remainder of the application's interface -- in a pitch-black motif with satin platinum highlights.

Users of the software will no longer have to exit fullscreen mode to jump between chapters, those familiar with the software say. Instead, DVD Player 5.0 captures a screenshot of each chapter that it then displays in the new fullscreen navigation interface, which runs horizontal across the top of running flicks, fading in and out on the user's cue.

Similarly, Apple has built in a chapter navigation interface for when viewing films in window mode, which floats vertically in its own separate window.

Whether in fullscreen or window mode, the new version of DVD Player reportedly delivers a long sought after feature -- a time bar for visual scrubbing and time jumping. It also features satin platinum highlights, as does a more refined and less cumbersome fullscreen bezel-interface controller.

Artist's rendition of DVD Player 5.0 fullscreen chapter interface

User interface characteristics aside, DVD Player 5.0 will include a plethora of other improvements sure to delight movie buffs. Those familiar with the software say a DVD audio equalizer is among the other new features aimed at enhancing the DVD experience on a Mac.

Meanwhile, new menu items that have cropped up in the application include "Viewer Above Other Apps," "Custom Jacket Picture," and sleep timer options.

Artist's rendition of DVD Player 5.0 window mode chapter interface

Thus far, no documented support for HD-DVD or BluRay discs is apparent in the new player, though old HD settings/limits from previous versions reportedly remain valid.

DVD Player 5.0 and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard are due to ship either this "spring" or "late first half of 2007," depending on which localized version of Apple's webpage you happen to be reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Nice to know Tiger will get these new features
  • Reply 2 of 92
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Title is wrong on the website, should be Leonard, not Tiger.

--- already fixed. I don't see a way to delete my post. is there?
  • Reply 3 of 92
    Leonard?
  • Reply 4 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

User interface characteristics aside, DVD Player 5.0 will include a plethora of other improvements sure to delight movie buffs. Those familiar with the software say built-in zoom, de-interlacing, a DVD audio equalizer, and color/brightness correction, are just some of the new features aimed at enhancing the DVD experience on a Mac.

the items in bold are all already implemented in DVD Player
  • Reply 5 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Can anyone say "Gestures'? This just maybe designed to be finger friendly for up coming Macs that support the same iPhone UI (as well as mouse and keyboard), something small, compact and portable ... like a Mac tablet that Steve says he will never make ...
  • Reply 6 of 92
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can anyone say "Gestures'? This just maybe designed to be finger friendly for up coming Macs that support the same iPhone UI (as well as mouse and keyboard), something small, compact and portable ... like a Mac tablet that Steve says he will never make ...

why not gestures using the iSight? Not the ones you send your friends however, UI control...
  • Reply 7 of 92
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by confirmed View Post

the items in bold are all already implemented in DVD Player

Looks like there were just moved around. Article has been update.

Thanks,

K
  • Reply 9 of 92
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    The interface screenshots look like space-holders. Like if the real color interface is yet to come.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jms698 View Post

The interface screenshots look like space-holders. Like if the real color interface is yet to come.

Considering they're subtitled "artist's rendition"?
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Considering they're subtitled "artist's rendition"?

And I thought Apple had taken the vector scalable graphics thing to new highs so it'd run on old Asteroids hardware. If you wait long enough, a UFO will fly in from the side....
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

And I thought Apple had taken the vector scalable graphics thing to new highs so it'd run on old Asteroids hardware. If you wait long enough, a UFO will fly in from the side....

OK, THAT was funny!
  • Reply 13 of 92
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Confirmed!!!11! Black is the new black in Leopard.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wait, I thought black was the new white?

Or is white the new black, making black the new white and the new black at the same time, in which case how can the new black and old black coexist, or are they really just the same black in two separate temporal states juxtaposed in our current continuum viewpoint?

I'm so confused.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Could some longtime Mac user tell me, why has apple decided to have DVD player on its own and not just use Quicktime player instead for all media?

Quicktime is another application i think that need some sort of update.

It would be much more useful if they could allow full screen mode in quicktime ( or simply scrap the pro version and give it all out for free )
  • Reply 16 of 92
    The full-screen mode of DVD Player looks a lot like the full-screen mode for editing in iPhoto.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I agree, quicktime really needs a rethink. The standard version just has a sea of "pro" stickers in it, kinda makes macs look bad when you compare it to what Windows Media Player offers (not that I like WMP, but it doesn't limit the user continually). Sure, limit media creation functionality, but not full screen mode!
  • Reply 18 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Hopefully playback quality has been improved as well...tho' the ui updates look nice.

Vinea
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Hopefully playback quality has been improved as well...tho' the ui updates look nice.

Vinea

I agree. I read a review of Apple DVD player's quality. It was not as good as a good stand alone player. They need to make a better de-interlacer and scaler. If more and more people are going to be using Mac Mini, etc with a big screen HDTV, the scaler better be top notch. Otherwise, I won't be able to give up my standalone DVD player.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

I agree, quicktime really needs a rethink. The standard version just has a sea of "pro" stickers in it, kinda makes macs look bad when you compare it to what Windows Media Player offers (not that I like WMP, but it doesn't limit the user continually). Sure, limit media creation functionality, but not full screen mode!

That's because Quicktime isn't WMP's competitor. iTunes is. Yes yes, I know iTunes uses the Quicktime codecs for play back. But I think Quicktime's day is over. At least, the Quicktime Player.

I think it's a case of Quicktime not being sure what it wants to be. All of it's player fuctionality is now done by iTunes, so what's left? Editing? That's iMovie's job. They need to get rid of the app altogether and have the other application take care of the codecs. Quicktime Player is a reminent of OS 9.