Wife is pissed cause she can't get on MLS with our new mac...Help!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello out there, need a little help with a domestic issue...My wife is a realtor and cannot get on some websites and has trouble with some help software designed for pc's. I got home this evening and she had dug out the pc and attempted to re-connect it to the monitor, keyboard etc...Since I'm new to mac I do not have the wearwithall to solve these problems...Any inexpensive solutions are welcomed...

BQ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    unfortunately, the MLS system is Windows only, which is ludicrous in this day and age.

your best bet is to install http://www.parallels.com and windows and run it from within windows on your mac.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's if you have Windows.

If you don't, install CrossOver and then IE 6.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

IE won't even run "inside" Windows, it will just run.

That'll be probably less than a quarter of the price of parallels + Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Does it work in Firefox?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Does it work in Firefox?

Firefox is what we are using...Someone told us that Safari might work. I'm thinking of getting a desktop switch and let her use our old pc, but 50 bucks plus a wireless adapter and having to switch back every time I wanna use the mac......ugh!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

unfortunately, the MLS system is Windows only, which is ludicrous in this day and age.

your best bet is to install http://www.parallels.com and windows and run it from within windows on your mac.

the thought of having to buy windows for my mac is kinda funny to me. Perhaps I should have just bought a Dell. I can see the pc guy gloating and the cool guy too baked to help me AND laughing cause I'm not getting laid tonight...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    You have a PC with windows on it , right ? You intend to retire the PC and no longer use it ? You have a copy of windows that you are entitled to use on one machine , that machine just became your Mac. Install bootcamp (free) or parallls and away you go. No ?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

WTF is MLS?

Multi Listing Service. It's how realtors secretly control the world.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valmad View Post

You have a PC with windows on it , right ? You intend to retire the PC and no longer use it ? You have a copy of windows that you are entitled to use on one machine , that machine just became your Mac. Install bootcamp (free) or parallls and away you go. No ?

sounds easy enough? I'll give it a try when I get home...Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Multi Listing Service. It's how realtors secretly control the world.

Yea, thats exactly why she got her license. If you can't beat em join em...
  • Reply 10 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Which option are you going to go with, newmaq? Bootcamp is free, but it sounds like parallels would be a much more elegant solution for you (no rebooting, etc).
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Which option are you going to go with, newmaq? Bootcamp is free, but it sounds like parallels would be a much more elegant solution for you (no rebooting, etc).

Parallels sounds good, what is the investment? I need to see if I can find my copy of windows xp. The easier the better for me and most definately my wife.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    That's odd! www.mls.ca works with all browsers on the Mac, both in Panther and Tiger. This is the Canadian MLS I am talking about. Maybe the American MLS site behaves differeently?

Cheers
  • Reply 13 of 30
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Different areas use different MLS systems. Unfortunately in the DFW area they contracted out to a system that requires IE. You can use it on Mac but only through a citrix server, which is slow as molassis. Always pisses me off everytime I use it. Seem only lazy programmers would design an internet system that will only work with one browser.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylon View Post

You can use it on Mac but only through a citrix server, which is slow as molassis.

Well, I just tried to go to www.mls.com (assuming that's the US site) and I was able to, using both Firefox and Safari. I was able to view listings without any problem.

Is there something specific your wife is trying to do on that site? Maybe only parts of it are incompatible with a Mac browser?

Cheers
  • Reply 15 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newmaq View Post

Parallels sounds good, what is the investment? I need to see if I can find my copy of windows xp. The easier the better for me and most definately my wife.

It's $80

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
  • Reply 16 of 30
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    And if your copy of Windows isn't SP2, you'll need to slipstream it.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Crossover is a perfect solution (wwww.codeweavers.com). I've used it and installed Internet Explorer 6 and can access Wal-Mart's Retail Link site which is IE only without any problem, so the same should be with MLS. Best thing about it is that you don't need window's and don't have to worry about virus's, etc. For what you are looking for, Crossover is the answer. They have a FREE 60-day trial that you can check out.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pubguy View Post

Crossover is a perfect solution (wwww.codeweavers.com). I've used it and installed Internet Explorer 6 and can access Wal-Mart's Retail Link site which is IE only without any problem, so the same should be with MLS. Best thing about it is that you don't need window's and don't have to worry about virus's, etc. For what you are looking for, Crossover is the answer. They have a FREE 60-day trial that you can check out.

Sounds like a good solution, thanks for the reply. For now, I simply dug out the pc, old monitor, keyboard etc and set it up right next to the mac. spent $30 on a wireless usb and works fine. So - wife is happy, spent little money and have stand alone pc and mac side by side each serving a purpose.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newmaq View Post

Sounds like a good solution, thanks for the reply. For now, I simply dug out the pc, old monitor, keyboard etc and set it up right next to the mac. spent $30 on a wireless usb and works fine. So - wife is happy, spent little money and have stand alone pc and mac side by side each serving a purpose.

I have two Macs at home and, truth be told, I still use the one pc we have from time to time.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Which MLS service does your wife use? I'm able to get on http://matrix.mris.com/ with no problem using any of my browsers.