Asus Laptop + Mac OS X

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with installing OS X on intel systems. The system I would want to install it on has the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz with 4MB L2 cache

1GB Ram

Gefore 7700 Go with 512MB Vram

120GB HD

Win XP Professional

Any feedback would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaddict74 View Post

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with installing OS X on intel systems. The system I would want to install it on has the following specs:

1GB Ram

120GB HD

Win XP Professional

It is clearly illegal to install OS X on any other computer than a Mac. And it would be against the forum's rules to give you any advice about what you intend to do. So beware!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    i don't think it works to put Mac OSX on a windows computer...

i think Apple makes sure it's a mac before it finishes installing
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

It is clearly illegal to install OS X on any other computer than a Mac. And it would be against the forum's rules to give you any advice about what you intend to do. So beware!

'Tis true

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

Quote:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

• Reply 4 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay View Post

'Tis true

Even if it wasn't for the license agreement, it would still be illegal since there is no retail copy. So unless you buy a Mac mini, take its copy, uninstall it from the Mac mini, then install it on your own third-party machine, there simply is no legal way to install Mac OS X on a non-Apple x86 machine.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

i don't think it works to put Mac OSX on a windows computer...

i think Apple makes sure it's a mac before it finishes installing

They don't, actually. There's no copy protection or anything.

There's a widespread misconception that Apple uses the Trusted Platform Module for this, but they don't; they don't even initialize it, let alone supply a driver for it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It is against the posting guidelines to ask for assistance with pirated software.

I will leave the thread up in case people want to discuss the TPM chip and so forth, but giving him support on installing it is going to bring forth a penalty.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Even if it wasn't for the license agreement, it would still be illegal since there is no retail copy. So unless you buy a Mac mini, take its copy, uninstall it from the Mac mini, then install it on your own third-party machine, there simply is no legal way to install Mac OS X on a non-Apple x86 machine.

What are you talking about?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA453Z%2FA

You can buy a retail version np. How do you think people upgrade to newer versions of OsX?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    That is PPC only. There is no need for Apple to sell Tiger in an Intel version, as all the Intel machines already have Tiger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paprochy View Post

What are you talking about?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA453Z%2FA

You can buy a retail version np. How do you think people upgrade to newer versions of OsX?

• Reply 9 of 17
    Alright but that wasn't the point, I meant that there is in fact a retail version of OSX. When leopard comes out there will be an intel retail version.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Alright but that wasn't the point, I meant that there is in fact a retail version of OSX. When leopard comes out there will be an intel retail version.

There will be, yes, but there isn't right now. This thread is specifically about installing Mac OS X on an Intel-based machine. That's not legally possible right now, due both to the lack of a retail version of Mac OS X on Intel as well as the license agreement. Neither Leopard nor PowerPC have any bearing on this.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Ok makes sense. But are you sure that the current version of Tiger is not Intel compatible? I mean, in the MacOS board someone just installed OSX on a dell.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay View Post

'Tis true

Quote:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

Conveniently each Mac and iPod come with Apple stickers for making any computer an Apple-labeled computer.

Granted it's just semantics and it probably has the same chances of holding up in court as something absurd like burning yourself with hot coffee... oh wait.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Nobody said that the "current version of Tiger" is not Intel compatible. What we said was that the retail product on the Apple Store website is PPC only. It says right on the page, in the rightmost column, "G5, G4, or G3 processor."

Quote:

Ok makes sense. But are you sure that the current version of Tiger is not Intel compatible? I mean, in the MacOS board someone just installed OSX on a dell.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Oh right, I was looking for something that says it's not intel compatible.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    When 10.5 come out you can buy it and the license agreement that only lets use it on apple hardware may not hold up in court.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macaddict74 View Post

1GB Ram

120GB HD

Win XP Professional

Check this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70845
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

There will be, yes, but there isn't right now. This thread is specifically about installing Mac OS X on an Intel-based machine. That's not legally possible right now, due both to the lack of a retail version of Mac OS X on Intel as well as the license agreement. Neither Leopard nor PowerPC have any bearing on this.

though if someone put an "Apple label" on their PC, then it would become, technically, "Apple Labeled" Unless they mean labeled by Apple. Don't think any court would buy it either way, but it would be amusing to see the bad attempt made.

*EDIT* oops, didn't finish reading the thread. too bad I can't delete a post