Finder Crashing...any advice!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hullo,

Lately my Finder has been crashing a lot. When I say crash what happens is the menu bar and icons/Finder windows all disappear and then the menu bar and desktop icons reappear a second later as if I had just logged in. The dock is unaffected by this. It happens a lot when I right click on icons to view/select from the contextual menu. I have recently installed a bunch of new software including Final Cut Pro and Photoshop CS2 and I didn't notice it doing this before I installed them. Is there anything I can do to improve stability?

Many thanks.

System: iMac G5 1.8/1Gb, 10.4.8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Try deleting the Finder preferences from /users/<username>/library/preferences. It's called com.Apple.Finder.plist.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Did you install Stuffit Deluxe 11.0.2? If so, then it's the contextual menu item that crashes the finder.

Here's a fix for that: http://support.smithmicro.com/techsu...cGFnZT0x&p_li=
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I certainly did! I am downloading the patch now. Thanks for such a quick response!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amarone View Post

Did you install Stuffit Deluxe 11.0.2? If so, then it's the contextual menu item that crashes the finder.

Here's a fix for that: http://support.smithmicro.com/techsu...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

• Reply 4 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    The patch didn't work to well for me and the finder crashes started again after several reboots. I have since downgraded back to 11.0.1 and haven't seen the issue once since.

Hopefully Allume will bring out a full update soon.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The patch solved the problem for me! Thanks SO much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I certainly did! I am downloading the patch now. Thanks for such a quick response!

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Finder Crashing...any advice!

Yeah, Get a Ma.... oh.. yeah. Never mind then...