Powerbook 15" Ti is just right...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just came back from the Apple store and I really think that the 15" Ti is just right.

The screen is not too smal land it's not too big. the Powerbook itself is ideal as a desktop replacement.

My whole thing is that I can take it anywhere in my house and work.

Imagine that? A totally powerful machine that's portable!! ha ha ha

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    That's what most of us have thought for the past 2 years...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    fireants22fireants22 Posts: 119member
    i couldn't have put it better words....long live my titanium
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Agree! 17" seens too big for me and the 12" is somewhat small to me... 15" is very nice. I used to own the 1st. Titanium and no complaint. I hope Apple will pump up the res. alittle bit more on the future 15" mid-range PowerBook.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by fireants22:

<strong>....long live my titanium </strong><hr></blockquote>

only if you don't scratch out the paint
  • Reply 5 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I find the 15" ugly compared to the 12" and 17". I've been saying for a while that the Ti's case is looking dated.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Ugly? I'm saddened...seeing a (my) TiBook in person for the first time was a remarkable thing. The most recent ones don't seem to have the paint problems either. It seems the AlBooks, even in all their beauty, have problems -- major (understandable) heat problems in the 17"-er.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think the TiBook looks better. My dad has one. I want one too, but I couldn't afford it so I got an iBook instead. But sometime, I'll have a 15" PowerBook, I swear!

The little AlBook is kinda cool, looks just like my iBook. The 17" doesn't have many good pictures of it, but it looks just too big. The speakers on the side with the tiny keyboard in the middle look strange. So does the iBook-style hinge... that little hinge looks out of place on that big computer.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    God I'm glad I got my 1ghz one its the best computer I've ever owned so far, and by a big margin!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I do love my TiBook - my favorite Mac ever. But I think it depends on your use. If you travel with it all the time, the 12" might be nice for the smaller size and weight despite the decreased screen resolution. But the 17" would be nice for a desktop replacement that travels only rarely.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I find the 15" ugly compared to the 12" and 17". I've been saying for a while that the Ti's case is looking dated.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dated perhaps yes.

Ugly?...hardly.

The basic form is classic...just a few touch ups to update and refresh it's look.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Dated perhaps yes.

Ugly?...hardly.

The basic form is classic...just a few touch ups to update and refresh it's look.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, maybe not ugly, but not good looking. I don't know what it is, I liked it when it first came out but for the past year or so I just don't like the look anymore. I like the iBook and the 12" PB's looks and I'm sure I'll like the 17" when I see it in person.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    Has anyone who's posted here actually seen the 17" in person??? It's awesome!!! You can't really judge its size until you actually see it .

As I've said in earlier posts: The screen is huge, but the actual computer isn't too big, and I can say this 'cause I have SEEN it. Futhermore, saying that it's only portable enough to be moved rarely is a total understatment. The machine is super powerul, totally portable and has an awesome screen... What else can you ask from a computer???!!!

I used to have a 15" and I loved it (but got stolen, don't ask . But I really think that the 17" will be a nice step up :cool:

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: RANSOMED ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 20
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    I really love the TiBook and, currently being in the market to buy one, it is nice to hear all these positive comments. However, I am sorely tempted to wait if an update is around the corner although new hardware is always a little touch and go until the bugs get worked out. So, can anyone give me any reason to wait or should I just dive in and pick up a Ti?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    [quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:

<strong>I really love the TiBook and, currently being in the market to buy one, it is nice to hear all these positive comments. However, I am sorely tempted to wait if an update is around the corner although new hardware is always a little touch and go until the bugs get worked out. So, can anyone give me any reason to wait or should I just dive in and pick up a Ti?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Whenever I find myself in that situation, I consider how much of an upgrade I would miss if I don't wait, and if it's worth to wait a longer time without an already faster machine. My thoughts are that they're probably coming out with an aluminum version of the 15" once they're freshou out of Ti's. Probably with a light-up keyboard.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Here's my two cents.

I have a 15" TiBook. I love it. I agree that the 17" is a awesome machine but I still think it is too big, at least for me. My 15" in my briefcase, with all the things I need is kinda heavy. I am talking about truely taking it anywhere. Just taking the 17" around isn't that big a deal, but with my powercord, my little Kensington mouse, iPod, notepad, pens, and other little things it can be a different story. Add the extra size and weight of the 17" and for some it might be an issue.

I think the Powerbook range is perfect. There is a machine for everyones needs. Get the one taht fits your needs.

One other thing...I still think the TiBook looks great. I like the look more then the new Powerbooks. All those ports on the side is crazy to me. Just my opinion though. Everyone has their own taste...it is pointless to convince someone that their taste is wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    i as well am a big fan of the 15 incher, but i have one problem with it...

i just really don't like the hinges. It really seems they should be the ibook style hinge so that no part extends from the rest of the computer. I think that the 15.4 rumored Albook will by far be the best computer in Apple's lineup, and I will be buying one round a bouts the end of the summer. (to supplement my desktop g4)

I just am so excited about the Powerbooks though, they are all amazing as is!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    [quote]Originally posted by RANSOMED:

<strong>

Whenever I find myself in that situation, I consider how much of an upgrade I would miss if I don't wait, and if it's worth to wait a longer time without an already faster machine. My thoughts are that they're probably coming out with an aluminum version of the 15" once they're freshou out of Ti's. Probably with a light-up keyboard.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I have to say I am mighty tempted to hold on for the new 15" (assuming one is planned for the near future--and what does "near future" mean anyway?) especially considering the faster drive, faster RAM, Airport Extreme, built-in Bluetooth, etc... but, and I guess this is a fairly big but (hey, there's nothing wrong with big buts), I don't want to get a first in line machine that has a million "issues" that require endless trips to Apple's technical psychotherapists. I want a powerbook that is happy with itself and won't pull any tantrums.

So, I guess I am asking whether you think it is best to stick with the tried and tested or are the new technological advancements so good that it is worth waiting and taking a risk?

Can someone try to convince me that the advancements of the new powerbooks are really going to make a real world difference?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I said it before and I'll say it again, the 15" PB is Apple's cash cow laptop. It caters to the largest group of potential buyers as it provides a balance of all the features at a mid range price.

The 12" and 17" will do well, but are really suited for niche markets/users.

You can bet the 15" upgrade will be bring most of the nicities of the new Aluminum PB's.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    I'm using my TiPB (500 MHz, 512 MB RAM, X.2.4) since about 2 yrs now and I have been very (no - I still am) happy with this machine. It's fast enough for the most applications, including Photoshop and Final Cut.

My boss bought a 12" recently and it's definitely too tiny for me, it feels good though (qualitywise) . Maybe I would go for the 17" but I have to see/feel it in person. Most of the time I use my PB on the couch at home, wireless of course...

It's my 6th Apple Laptop

1. 190

2. 540C

3. original G3

4. Wallstreet

5. Pismo

6. Ti

and my wife has a green "toilet seat" iBook
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Having thoroughly researched, thought about and meditated on my forthcomming switch to an Apple 15" PB I went to an Apple store today and got to play with one for as long as I wanted. WOW! That is a very very nice bit of kit. I too was wondering whether to wait or not for an Al 15" but now I have seen the Ti and also a 12" Al for me the Titanium is much more attactive. The 12" Al looks more or less like an ibook but with an aluminium cover, wheras they Ti with its white, grey and coffee keyboard looks so so coool. If the rumours are correct and the Ti is soon to be history then I am glad I was in time to buy one - that beauty is a classic of modern design - they should not dump it!

Antonio