Got a GarageBand or Logic Creation? Share it!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Ok, not sure whether this belongs in AppleOutsider or in Applications, so I'll put it here in AO, and Admins can move it if they feel like it.

I just spent a good chunk of the afternoon goofing around with GarageBand, and whipped up my first track. The result is horrifically amateurish, and I like it. So I thought I'd share it with anyone who'd like a good chuckle (or, gods forbid, would actually seriously enjoy it! )

The file is at *****MOVED*****

So, having made my first contribution of this sort to the entertainment of everyone, I wonder if anyone else has any creations they'd like to toss out here?

If you have a song or instrumental track which you've created in GarageBand or Logic, post it here so we can all enjoy it! All hopefull future musicians must get a start somewhere, and where better than where you will be appreciated?

Looking forward to some great tracks in here!

Celemourn

***EDIT***

Files moved to iCompositions:

UACP

Off Duty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    I have a better idea for you... join www.icompositions.com and post your work there for free. I have a bunch of friends on that site, and I find them to be far more creative and experimental than places like www.garageband.com.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a better idea for you... join www.icompositions.com and post your work there for free. I have a bunch of friends on that site, and I find them to be far more creative and experimental than places like www.garageband.com.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link! I still want to hear what other people here are coming up with though. ;D
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Oh, and here is a wonderful example of the extreme coolness that can be found on "iComp"... and another...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, and here is a wonderful example of the extreme coolness that can be found on "iComp"... and another...

hey, they keep track of how many people have played the songs! that rocks.

Those were a couple of odd tracks. I had to follow the link to the poem the first one was based off of (couldn't follow what was being said easily). Good poem. I like the structure. It was a good pick for that song.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Those were a couple of odd tracks. I had to follow the link to the poem the first one was based off of (couldn't follow what was being said easily). Good poem. I like the structure. It was a good pick for that song.

Exactly why I love iComp so much. If you're looking for real "alternative" music, it's the joint.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:

The result is horrifically amateurish, and I like it. So I thought I'd share it with anyone who'd like a good chuckle (or, gods forbid, would actually seriously enjoy it! )

Celemourn

It took 25 minutes to download, BUT, it was worth the wait. I actually enjoyed it! Conjoured up visions of a motorcycle ride down a seacoast, heading perhaps into a Boston waterfront?? I got that backwards. Start at waterfront and head up the coast.

It was better than you are giving yourself credit for. I love the GB app myself. Soo easy to add original stuff underneath slideshows and home movies, whether you are a 'pro' musician or not. Now, tell use how you did it. Do you actually own/play drums, guitar, KB? Was it all cut & paste with loops?

Try this instrumental of mine. I started with one drum loop as I cannot abide the click track in GB. The rest is off my M-Audio KB.

http://www.myspace.com/rufusswan

Paz
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post

It took 25 minutes to download, BUT, it was worth the wait. I actually enjoyed it! Conjoured up visions of a motorcycle ride down a seacoast, heading perhaps into a Boston waterfront?? I got that backwards. Start at waterfront and head up the coast.

It was better than you are giving yourself credit for. I love the GB app myself. Soo easy to add original stuff underneath slideshows and home movies, whether you are a 'pro' musician or not. Now, tell use how you did it. Do you actually own/play drums, guitar, KB? Was it all cut & paste with loops?

Try this instrumental of mine. I started with one drum loop as I cannot abide the click track in GB. The rest is off my M-Audio KB.

http://www.myspace.com/rufusswan

Paz

Suite Hideaway! I like it! It's got a definite and clearly defined theme to it, and you implemented the rock organ very well. I like the short guitar thread you worked in there too.

RE UACP: Thanks, I very happy that you enjoyed it, and relieved that you did, as I'd hate to think I made you go through a 25 minute download for nothing!

Motorcycle ride: Thats a cool visualization. I can definitely see that (went back and listened to it again with that context in mind. It works!)

With the exception of the first four cymbal taps at the start, it was all loops. I can't wait to get a midi adapter and can hook my piano (yamaha p60) up to the MBP, as I'll have even more flexibility. I'm very impressed with what can be done with GB without any additional equipment.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    here is a couple of songs I wrote back in about 94-95. They were recorded into the sequencer of a Yamaha SY99 which was used to control a bunch of various other synths.

I apologize for the singing in the first track, I was just trying to make a vocal melody and just used the first words that sprung to mind! hehe. Usually I just wrote music without thinking about words or vocals. This is the only track ever with me singing on it! Its bad, and I know it! but I think the music's ok. And I was only 19 at the time!

The other synths were a Korg Prophecy, Ensoniq Asr10, Korg Trinity, Yamaha AN1x, the SY99 and a Novation BassStation. There was no computer used for this, though I later bought a PowerMac 4400 for Cubase 3. I ran the whole mix through an Alesis compressor to limit it via a Mackie mixer, and a couple of Ensoniq Dp2's, and a Boss Dr660 might appear in there at times along with some various other effect units. All classic stuff!

The second track is pretty much just the Ensoniq ASR, which at the time had a nice Piano and strings sounds that came on a 1.44MB floppy drive. Thats right 1.44 Megabytes not the 2 gig Piano samples you get today.

I used to religiously avoid using 'loops' or sample CD's, though it was the fashion, because I wanted to learn how to do everything myself right down to the last nitty-gritty. so everything you hear is 100% my effort!

there probably isn't much bandwidth so they might not stay up for long, and Im sorry, but since I switched to a PC, I recorded these into it from a minidisc which they are stored on into wma. But if you can listen, go ahead!

REMOVED WMA'S SEE LATER POST

[edit] the first track sound good if you turn up the volume, and the bass, and are off your face on E's
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

here is a couple of songs I wrote back in about 94-95. They were recorded into the sequencer of a Yamaha SY99 which was used to control a bunch of various other synths.

I apologize for the singing in the first track, I was just trying to make a vocal melody and just used the first words that sprung to mind! hehe. Usually I just wrote music without thinking about words or vocals. This is the only track ever with me singing on it! Its bad, and I know it! but I think the music's ok.

The other synths were a Korg Prophecy, Ensoniq Asr10, Korg Trinity, Yamaha AN1x, the SY99 and a Novation BassStation. There was no computer used for this, though I later bought a PowerMac 4400 for Cubase 3. I ran the whole mix through an Alesis compressor to limit it via a Mackie mixer, and a couple of Ensoniq Dp2's, and a Boss Dr660 might appear in there at times along with some various other effect units. All classic stuff!

The second track is pretty much just the Ensoniq ASR, which at the time had a nice Piano and strings sounds that came on a 1.44MB floppy drive. Thats right 1.44 Megabytes not the 2 gig Piano samples you get today.

I used to religiously avoid using 'loops' or sample CD's, though it was the fashion, because I wanted to learn how to do everything myself right down to the last nitty-gritty. so everything you hear is 100% my effort!

there probably isn't much bandwidth so they might not stay up for long, and Im sorry, but since I switched to a PC, I recorded these into it from a minidisc which they are stored on into wma. But if you can listen, go ahead!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.wma

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.wma

[edit] the first track sound good if you turn up the volume, and the bass, and are off your face on E's

DOH! I wish they were mp3! As part of my recent migration back to Mac, I've vowed to keep my MBP Microsoft Free for as long as possible! The down side is that the only WMA codecs I've found are the MS ones.

Here's a deal for you: Convert em to mp3, and I'll host em for you. I've got 750 GB of monthly bandwidth available. you can do the conversion with DBPoweramp, I think. Google for it.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:

DOH! I wish they were mp3! As part of my recent migration back to Mac, I've vowed to keep my MBP Microsoft Free for as long as possible! The down side is that the only WMA codecs I've found are the MS ones.

Here's a deal for you: Convert em to mp3, and I'll host em for you. I've got 750 GB of monthly bandwidth available. you can do the conversion with DBPoweramp, I think. Google for it.

I just tried opening them in iTunes. It works! it takes a few seconds to convert them, but you should be able to hear them, obviously this is itunes on a PC, dont know if this works on a mac?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

I just tried opening them in iTunes. It works! it takes a few seconds to convert them, but you should be able to hear them, obviously this is itunes on a PC, dont know if this works on a mac?

hmm. lemme give it a try!

**EDIT** Negatory. have to have the MS codecs installed to open them in iTunes on mac. I'll shoot ya a PM with my email address, and if you like you can send me the files. I'll post em and give you the links.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    It seems I can convert these using iTunes into Mp3's

so here they are again

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.mp3

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.mp3

There is also this one I did a few years ago using completely software synths from www.refx.net. JunoX2 KICKED ASS but they removed it, but here it is...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/monster2.mp3

Celemourn - if you want to host these, thanks
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

It seems I can convert these using iTunes into Mp3's

so here they are again

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.mp3

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.mp3

There is also this one I did a few years ago using completely software synths from www.refx.net. JunoX2 KICKED ASS but they removed it, but here it is...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/monster2.mp3

Celemourn - if you want to host these, thanks

I'll host them for you.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMadHermit View Post

I'll host them for you.

erm.. ok.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

erm.. ok.

thanks! madhermit
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

thanks! madhermit...

Welcome. Anyone else who needs a host, just private message me and I'll give you an email address to send the files to. I'll toss em up and post the links in here. Just reply to the post I make with the links in it to supply commentary.

TMH
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Deleted post
  • Reply 19 of 43
    the story behind these two is that in 95 or 96 I decided to go to college to do Music Tech. It was chaos, because this was the first year that this course had been started at the college, so no-one, not even the tutors knew what was going on. After a few weeks they decided that the course would be we would learn about styles of music from the decades, 60,70,80,90, so we started at the sixties. I was quite excited at the time and wrote these two one night. The next week I left the course because it was shite.

Im not sure the first one is 60's style, i think it would be better as a theme music for some wacky slightly perverse cartoon

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/pinky.mp3

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/70s.mp3

these are pretty much the ensoniq - (piano, flute,strings, sax) yamaha sy99 and a dr660 drum machine with a bassStation for the bassline in the second track.
  • Reply 20 of 43

Marc, those are HOT! (in the non-sexual sense of the word)