Vista on a MBP: 32 or 64-bit Version?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Okay, I've tried looking this up on google, and apparently I'm bad at searching because I couldn't find anything relevant to my question.

I'm planning to buy Windows Vista Home Premium Edition in a week when it's released, and I want to install it on both my 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 2GB of RAM, and my home-built 3Ghz Pentium 4 machine, also with 2GB of RAM.

I've run the Vista upgrade advisor and it'll run fine. but my question is this: The P4 is a 32-bit system which I don't see upgrading any time in the next year, and the Core 2 is obviously 64-bit. Do I need to get 2 seperate copies of the OS, or does the boxed Vista DVD have both versions on it?

Also, when I do get around to upgrading P4, it'll be with a 64-bit chip, so that makes me kind of hesitant to buy a "32-bit only" copy of an OS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Good question.

And typical for Microsoft, everything has to be so damn complicated. I googled around for 10 minutes, and couldn't find the answer.

I just found out that windows vista esentially ships in 12 different versions, counting the 32 and 64 bit editions.

what's the point.

EDIT:

The Windows Vista Starter Edition alows maximum 3 programs to be open at the same time and has only supports up to 256 MB of ram.

Then when you are going to chose which edition you are going to buy, you have to predict if you are going to have up to 5 pcs networked, or 5 to 10, or beyond 10.....

Sorry for going off topic, but is is really insane how unnecessaryly much you can annoy people! I mean they almost have the fking monopoly, so whats the point. Just give people the full package already.....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Good question.

And typical for Microsoft, everything has to be so damn complicated. I googled around for 10 minutes, and couldn't find the answer.

I just found out that windows vista esentially ships in 12 different versions, counting the 32 and 64 bit editions.

what's the point.

EDIT:

The Windows Vista Starter Edition alows maximum 3 programs to be open at the same time and has only supports up to 256 MB of ram.

Then when you are going to chose which edition you are going to buy, you have to predict if you are going to have up to 5 pcs networked, or 5 to 10, or beyond 10.....

Sorry for going off topic, but is is really insane how unnecessaryly much you can annoy people! I mean they almost have the fking monopoly, so whats the point. Just give people the full package already.....

OMG that vista starter edition suks.

this whole thing is way too complicated for average user, gonna be a lot of confused and annoyed customers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

The Starter Edition won't even be available in your country, so it's pointless to argue about it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

The Starter Edition won't even be available in your country, so it's pointless to argue about it.

True, but still....
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hm... Well I went out and asked some people who've already got the enterprise version and they told me to just buy the OS version I want, in this case Home Premium, and it'll give me the option when I install it whether or not I want the 32 or 64-bit OS. So that solves that I guess...