Next-gen MacBook Pro to shine brighter with new backlight tech

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

I'm no expert on the matter, but I may have a solution to your POV/FOV problem.

The concept is not like that of a compound eye, rather, it is something like spreading out a lens. If you take a digital camera, and look at the image, everything you see comes into the sensor in the one lens. But if you take a frame and place it a few feet in front of the lense, then what you see inside the frame is the Field of View from the lense's Point of View. you can duplicate the same image by spreading out all the pixels so that they are placed inside the area frame, at the angels neccesary to mimic the original PoV.

I know how a camera works, virtual images, etc, vs real images. This is completely different.

Quote:

But, you ask, how could that be done?

Actually, I'm not, because this is completely different.

Quote:

Ever heard of ray-tracing? It simulates the position of the eye, calculates the virtual position of the 3D texture to be drawn, and colors pixels accordingly, which is far more accurate & realistic than anything a videogame can do (though they simulate it). A reverse of this could work; instead of calculating the virtual evironment, it would calculate the position of the "eye" and render in the resulting image from each photo sensor in such a way as to mimic the PoV from the eye.

Ray tracing is used to duplicate the path of light back from where it enters the eye to the original light source. It is used to reproduce the lighting that would result from that light source as the eye would see it. I don't get how you think it is involved here. Ray tracing involves the simulated 3D environment. It is vastly complex, is used almost never when instantaneous results are required. It isn't used to color textures, or draw them, in any way. It's used to duplicate the results required, from the reflectiveness of the surface (and now, with more complex techniques, beneath the surface as well, for those materials that are partly translucent, such as skin). I've used it on 3D work in CAD.

This doesn't appear to be working the way a multi mirror telescope works either. To do that, the images must be focussed to a common point. There would have to be a long enough focal length for each of the miniscule lenses to do that, somewhere behind the screen.

They must have some idea as to how this is going to work, but so far, their explanations have only described the basic mechanical nature of it. Perhaps they haven't gotten any further than that yet.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What, RPM and FPS? Not absurd at all. Both are bone standard terminology for cyclical phenomena, neither are typically talked about in terms of hertz.

My point being that "film can keep it's little terminology and I'll keep mine" is silly.

No, cars and computers. How did you get from that to time measurements?

Hertz (capitalize, as it's a name), fps, and rpm do have something in common. They are three ways of describing a similar phenomenon, that of splitting time into segments.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, cars and computers. How did you get from that to time measurements?

Hertz (capitalize, as it's a name), fps, and rpm do have something in common. They are three ways of describing a similar phenomenon, that of splitting time into segments.

Sigh. Yes, I know they have something in common. Are you reading the posts? Never mind.
  • Reply 84 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Sigh. Yes, I know they have something in common. Are you reading the posts? Never mind.

Uh, you started this last round.

Here is the post I responded to. You took it from there.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM

Why are computer people so fascinated with automobiles?

Quote:

Because it's such an absurd comparason, it's hard to argue.

When I responded to your post, which didn't correspond to my response earlier, to Jeffs, I pointed that out.

Then to show that I wasn't in disagreement with you, reiterated that by showing my agreement.

Where is the problem?
  • Reply 85 of 101
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It would be interesting to know if (along with the LED-backlight story) there was a new LCD panel that fit the 1920 x 1200 spec. I am thinking of an LCDs with wider viewing angles, faster response times, etc. Since 15.4" seems to be the hot panel size these days. Has there been any news? The LED-backlit display combined with a 1920x1200 display that has fast response times and 170° viewing angle, horizontal and vertical, would most likely make for one helluva gorgeous display.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

It would be interesting to know if (along with the LED-backlight story) there was a new LCD panel that fit the 1920 x 1200 spec. I am thinking of an LCDs with wider viewing angles, faster response times, etc. Since 15.4" seems to be the hot panel size these days. Has there been any news? The LED-backlit display combined with a 1920x1200 display that has fast response times and 170° viewing angle, horizontal and vertical, would most likely make for one helluva gorgeous display.

For me, the vertical viewing angle is a little more important, as I occasionally find myself operating my computer standing up when I had previously been sitting, and realizing I'm looking at negative images!

...but a 180 degree viewing angle, now THAT would be something.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    So new screens, and possibly the hard drive with flash memory...all my hard earned cash is gonna be gone before I know it
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:

I know how a camera works, virtual images, etc, vs real images. This is completely different.

Actually, I'm not, because this is completely different.

Ray tracing is used to duplicate the path of light back from where it enters the eye to the original light source. It is used to reproduce the lighting that would result from that light source as the eye would see it. I don't get how you think it is involved here. Ray tracing involves the simulated 3D environment. It is vastly complex, is used almost never when instantaneous results are required. It isn't used to color textures, or draw them, in any way. It's used to duplicate the results required, from the reflectiveness of the surface (and now, with more complex techniques, beneath the surface as well, for those materials that are partly translucent, such as skin). I've used it on 3D work in CAD.

This doesn't appear to be working the way a multi mirror telescope works either. To do that, the images must be focussed to a common point. There would have to be a long enough focal length for each of the miniscule lenses to do that, somewhere behind the screen.

They must have some idea as to how this is going to work, but so far, their explanations have only described the basic mechanical nature of it. Perhaps they haven't gotten any further than that yet.

Thanks for the clarification.

They probably just patented it for the sake of patenting it; the product it might be used for is more than likely a few years down the road.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Is there an HDDVD or Blu ray slot drive available yet, or planned to be released soon? I wonder when they will come out with them for the use in some laptops. (I know all laptop aren't slot loaded)
  • Reply 90 of 101
    and how much more to the cost would it be to add one of those bad boys? Are the prices coming down much on the blu ray and hddvd players?
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:

Is there an HDDVD or Blu ray slot drive available yet, or planned to be released soon? I wonder when they will come out with them for the use in some laptops. (I know all laptop aren't slot loaded)

I don't think so, and plus, if Apple is going to want to keep the Macbook Pro @ 1 inch thick, they're going to need to do some creative thinking. They need to condense over 1.5 inches to about 0.75 inches.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

Quote:

and how much more to the cost would it be to add one of those bad boys? Are the prices coming down much on the blu ray and hddvd players?

Blu-ray drives are like $700, and hd-dvd drives are about $400(?). The prices are NOT coming down at all. There's a huge shortage of the blue lasers... That's one of the reasons the PS3 launched with so few consoles. Most of the blue lasers that are getting produced are being sold to Sony and Microsoft for their consoles.

Hope that give you a little overview of how the HD format war is going...Very slowly.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4 View Post

Try this.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01...uray/index.php
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

I don't think so, and plus, if Apple is going to want to keep the Macbook Pro @ 1 inch thick, they're going to need to do some creative thinking. They need to condense over 1.5 inches to about 0.75 inches.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

Blu-ray drives are like $700, and hd-dvd drives are about $400(?). The prices are NOT coming down at all. There's a huge shortage of the blue lasers... That's one of the reasons the PS3 launched with so few consoles. Most of the blue lasers that are getting produced are being sold to Sony and Microsoft for their consoles.

Hope that give you a little overview of how the HD format war is going...Very slowly.

I wouldn't say it's going slowly. It's only been a few months. We'll be able to tell right before the holiday season later this year.

When I bought my Audio Powermac 733, the DVD recorder it came with was going for $1,000, as an external.

This is starting out cheaper.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    Quote:

I wouldn't say it's going slowly. It's only been a few months. We'll be able to tell right before the holiday season later this year.

When I bought my Audio Powermac 733, the DVD recorder it came with was going for $1,000, as an external.

This is starting out cheaper.

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/...slot-load.html

What the hell happened to this thing?
  • Reply 95 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Talk about being way off the mark:
    "One piece of technology that will likely make it into Macs relatively soon are Blu-Ray drives, and several of these were displayed at CES. Along with its desktop Blu-ray drive, Panasonic unveiled its Blu-ray slot-load laptop drive, which they first announced back in October [2005].

"This drive burns CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs. Panasonic is a long-time supplier of Mac laptop slot-load drives, and I would expect that Mac laptops with these would be released by Q3 2006."
    It's a safe bet that Blu-ray drives will first be released in Mac Pros (or at the time the above was written: PowerMacs) long before they release them in MacBook Pros or iMacs; and don't even think about seeing them in MacBooks.

In other words, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:

I remember that.

Trhere has to be a demand for it. Apple is waiting.

Maybe we would have seen something in Macworld if the iPhone hadn't monopolized the thing.
  • Reply 97 of 101
    Quote:

I remember that.

Trhere has to be a demand for it. Apple is waiting.

Maybe we would have seen something in Macworld if the iPhone hadn't monopolized the thing.

Yeah I can't believe they didn't include any Leopard info at Macword. I was expecting a release date.

"It's a safe bet that Blu-ray drives will first be released in Mac Pros (or at the time the above was written: PowerMacs) long before they release them in MacBook Pros or iMacs; and don't even think about seeing them in MacBooks."

EDIT: who said anything about seeing the drives in macbooks? Where the hell did you come up with that
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Quote:

"It's a safe bet that Blu-ray drives will first be released in Mac Pros (or at the time the above was written: PowerMacs) long before they release them in MacBook Pros or iMacs; and don't even think about seeing them in MacBooks."

EDIT: who said anything about seeing the drives in macbooks? Where the hell did you come up with that

Are you kidding me? All the Mac forums (this one especially) has spent the last year predicting that HD optical drives will be an Apple build-to-order option along the entire Mac line shortly.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you kidding me? All the Mac forums (this one especially) has spent the last year predicting that HD optical drives will be an Apple build-to-order option along the entire Mac line shortly.

where in this thread were macbooks mentioned with them
  • Reply 100 of 101
    Quote:

where in this thread were macbooks mentioned with them

I say "entire Mac line" and you think only of MacBooks?