Help for a newly convert mac user

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently(actually, yesterday) purchase my every first macbook and i am awaiting patiently for it's delivery. like ever newly convert, I have a few questions, hopefully you guys can help me out.

1)i have loads of mp3 songs videos and pictures on my old harddisk(NTFS) and i understand mac OS X can only view FAT32 files.must i format my win partition to FAT32 only? How can i transfer my data to my Macbook?

2) i do plan to install bootcamp and was wondering if i can listen to my mp3 in the mac partition while in windows or where should i place my mp3s so i can access them cross platform?

3) any one tried PES6 game on macbook via bootcamp? is it any good?

4)my MB is a 2Ghz D2C, 2G RAM, 120G harddisk. will photoshop run flawlessly on my MB?

thanks alot guys .. hopefully you ppl can help me. the apple call center was not much of a help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salnts View Post

I recently(actually, yesterday) purchase my every first macbook and i am awaiting patiently for it's delivery. like ever newly convert, I have a few questions, hopefully you guys can help me out.

1)i have loads of mp3 songs videos and pictures on my old harddisk(NTFS) and i understand mac OS X can only view FAT32 files.

Not quite. It can read and write FAT32 partitions, but natively, it can only read NTFS partitions. To write NTFS partitions, you can use the third-party MacFUSE ( http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/...Core-0.1.7.dmg ) alongside NTFS-3G ( http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensour...0070116-r4.dmg ). Install, reboot, and your NTFS partitions should be writable. There are some caveats, but for the most part, this works reasonably well.

Quote:

must i format my win partition to FAT32 only? How can i transfer my data to my Macbook?

Not at all, since you can read NTFS either way, without any additional installation.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Not quite. It can read and write FAT32 partitions, but natively, it can only read NTFS partitions. To write NTFS partitions, you can use the third-party MacFUSE ( http://macfuse.googlecode.com/files/...Core-0.1.7.dmg ) alongside NTFS-3G ( http://chucker.mystfans.com/opensour...0070116-r4.dmg ). Install, reboot, and your NTFS partitions should be writable. There are some caveats, but for the most part, this works reasonably well.

Not at all, since you can read NTFS either way, without any additional installation.

but if i were to install my songs in my mac partition will i be able to play them on xp via bootcamp?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

but if i were to install my songs in my mac partition will i be able to play them on xp via bootcamp?

No, then you'd need an HFS+ driver for Windows, such as the commercial MacDrive.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

No, then you'd need an HFS+ driver for Windows, such as the commercial MacDrive.

i see i see. thanks. which means i need a macdrive at XP to access my OS X files. MacFUSE will enable me to read and write files in NTFS(XP folder) from OSX. am i right?

so what do most people do? store their songs in the mac partition or the windows partition? please advise. thanks alot.

btw, what are the RAM consumption of macdrive/macfuse? i ma really sorry for being such newbie at this. i have been using windows all my life but i am sure i am about to turn the corner soon :0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

i see i see. thanks. which means i need a macdrive at XP to access my OS X files.

Yes, unless you want to keep all your files on an NTFS volume or a FAT32 one.

Quote:

MacFUSE will enable me to read and write files in NTFS(XP folder) from OSX. am i right?

Right.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    you could partition your hard drive so it has 3 partitions: 1 your windows ntfs for games and win xp os, 2 for mac osx and 3rd partition as fat32 for your music and other files that you want both os's to be able to read and write to.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post

you could partition your hard drive so it has 3 partitions: 1 your windows ntfs for games and win xp os, 2 for mac osx and 3rd partition as fat32 for your music and other files that you want both os's to be able to read and write to.

Yep, that's what I do.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post

that's seems like a good idea. when i install bootcamp will i be able to create the 2 extra partitions like you said? will i be guided in the bootcamp's program? btw, anyone thought of retoring/backup when your mac crashes? sorry i may sound very pc being a switcher. thanks for all the advice people..
  • Reply 9 of 10
    well i haven't actually tried bootcamp yet, my new mac is about to be delivered.

though i have done this before on a pc duel booting and it was fine used pc program that formated the partitions, boot camp can probably do the same but as i said haven't tried software yet....would be bad if it couldn't.

maybe someone else can confirm.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    WOAH.. finally my macbook arrived today. i had hellva of an experience playing ard with it. being a c user i had a hard time but nevertheless it be a matter f time i get use to it. does anyone knows how does automator and folder action works?

which messenger is the best? i tired mercury but seem like the webcam cant work with it. another thing. which bit torrent client is the best which can tell me if my ports are behind a firewall etc? sorry i spend like 2hrs trying to figure out the bit torrent part.

you guys have been so helpful . cheers!!!