Melanoma scare...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    I know

I can't imagine what it's like to be the States and out of the consumerist loop thing at 18. I was about 21 when I first went to the States. I loved it -the food portions were monster-huge, and also, er, our exchange rate meant things worked out better for Brits coming to the States.

Oops. Do you mean you are unemployed? I might have a left over sandwich I could send over.....
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I know

I can't imagine what it's like to be the States and out of the consumerist loop thing at 18. I was about 21 when I first went to the States. I loved it -the food portions were monster-huge, and also, er, our exchange rate meant things worked out better for Brits coming to the States.

Oops. Do you mean you are unemployed? I might have a left over sandwich I could send over.....

Just because I'm unemployed doesn't mean I'm living on the streets. I am still in high school and I live with my grandparents, so it's not really like being unemployed is terrible. I just can't buy/do everything I want.

Those exchange rates are going to kick my ass. I'm visiting England in July. I can't wait but it's costing me a lot of money.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

Just because I'm unemployed doesn't mean I'm living on the streets. I am still in high school and I live with my grandparents, so it's not really like being unemployed is terrible. I just can't buy/do everything I want.

Those exchange rates are going to kick my ass. I'm visiting England in July. I can't wait but it's costing me a lot of money.

Lol! A bit of a contradiction I wonder....unemployed and flying to England (first class?).

Even with money, people can't buy/do what they want. When they have enough money to do it, that's when the doing and the having lose all significance - silver bullet, chasing after the next one after the next.

Hopefully the exchange rate won't be $2: £1. It's killing off our industry as well as everything else. The middle-classes think it's great, but the rest of the manufacturers really struggle with Americans seeing British goods as too expensive.

You'll have a good time in England in July; most of the English yuppies go to the States

Those on benefits fly out to unknown desitinations, and the service sectors usually close down.

Whereabouts in England are you going to?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Lol! A bit of a contradiction I wonder....unemployed and flying to England (first class?).

Whereabouts in England are you going to?

I wish I was flying first class. I'll actually be in coach with 50 other kids I know. Our school band is going over to Worcester for an exchange type thing. This past summer the Wocester Youth Brass Band came over hear to play and stuff. It was great fun. We'll also be traveling to London for two days. I'll let all you AI's know more specific dates so you all can come and have a listen to us!
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Worcester - http://www.cityofworcester.gov.uk/

I've only been there once - with a girlfriend (she wasn't anorexic either!).

A friend of mine who got married (I was his best man) used to play brass too. He met his girlfriend whilst hunting for big tubas. That was the last time I heard brass music too.

This is the kind of music I listen to:

http://www.16horsepower.net/

It'll be cool if you can transcript their music for brass

London is great too! Although if there's 50 American kids all invading London in July, I'm returning home to France then ;P
  • Reply 26 of 28
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    1. Size, >1cm

2. Irregular borders

3. Irregular color

4. Irregular texture

5. Changing or growing

Medical types love mnemonics, so these are sometimes known as the ABCDE's:

Asymmetry

Border

Color

Diameter

Enlargement

Melanomas are the 6th most common cancer in the US: over 60,000 cases diagnosed a year. About 8000 people die of it each year. It's the msot serious kind of skin cancer. Less serious skin cancers are far more common, particular basal cell carcinoma (BCC) - which, unlike melanoma, very rarely metastasizes and can almost always be cured by simply cutting off the lesion. BCCs, in fact, are so common and so (typically) trivial that they aren't even included in most cancer statistics. But it can often be hard to tell a melanoma from a BCC before biopsy.

If there's any question at all, your physician should excise or biopsy the lesion and send it to a pathologist.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Towel View Post

1. Size, >1cm

2. Irregular borders

3. Irregular color

4. Irregular texture

5. Changing or growing

Asymmetry

Border

Color

Diameter

Enlargement

Melanomas are the 6th most common cancer in the US: over 60,000 cases diagnosed a year. About 8000 people die of it each year. It's the msot serious kind of skin cancer. Less serious skin cancers are far more common, particular basal cell carcinoma (BCC) - which, unlike melanoma, very rarely metastasizes and can almost always be cured by simply cutting off the lesion. BCCs, in fact, are so common and so (typically) trivial that they aren't even included in most cancer statistics. But it can often be hard to tell a melanoma from a BCC before biopsy.

If there's any question at all, your physician should excise or biopsy the lesion and send it to a pathologist.

Do skin tags relate at all in form or function?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Towel View Post

1. Size, >1cm

2. Irregular borders

3. Irregular color

4. Irregular texture

5. Changing or growing

Asymmetry

Border

Color

Diameter

Enlargement

That's it

That's said most of the time, it's not very hard to differenicate a BCC from a melomena. Of course there is the pigmented form of the BCC wich is tricky.

I do surgical procedure 25-20 times per year in order to cure melanoma. I remove more than one hundreds dark pigmented lesion in order to prevent melanoma

There is few things to know about melanoma :

- the chance of curing melanoma is more important if the melanoma is thin . The surface does not count. Thus the chance of cure a melanoma are far more important if you take them at a early stage

- solar burn are dangerous for child. Their immune systeme is immature, and therefore many years after some sleeping cancerous melanoma cell can wake up. Protect your child with solar cream, and do not expose them to the sun light when the sun is high. Dresses are a better protection than sun cream

- if you have any doubt about a skin lesion, show it to a dermatologist. Specially beware of a skin lesion wich is bleeding, evolve or look like the black duck (I mean way differents than the other aera of your skin)

- there is a lot of research about melanoma, many related to immunity. Basically the goal is to make our immune system very aggressive against the melanoma cell.