Does the preloaded software on macbooks take up 30 gigs?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I brought home my macbook pro yesterday to turn it on and find that I only have 93 gigs of available space on my 120 gig hard drive. Is this space taken up by OS X and other preloaded software, or could something be wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Some of it will be lost due to formatting.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    There is a free program called WhatSize. You will have to google it for the download. What it does is it lets you see where and how your drive space is being used up. It is pretty helpful.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    There's a couple of things you can do.

1) Delete programs you don't need. iDVD is particularly huge.

2) Remove languages you don't need. http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

3) Remove the un-needed half of the universal binary. Keep just the Intel version and dump the PPC resources. Monolingual does this too. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...nolingual.html

C.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Garageband is big too, IIRC.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    It's not so much iDVD and GarageBand the Apps that are huge... but the demos and tracks that come with them take up several Gigs.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    For iDVD, its the themes. Which are not stored in the Application direcory but in the Application Support part of Library.

C.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

There's a couple of things you can do.

1) Delete programs you don't need. iDVD is particularly huge.

2) Remove languages you don't need. http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

3) Remove the un-needed half of the universal binary. Keep just the Intel version and dump the PPC resources. Monolingual does this too. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...nolingual.html

C.

actually, monolingual deletes any app's PPC code, even those that need it because they work in rosetta. Doing this leads to sporatic results like installs of word and photoshop not working. (I know because i just did it.)

actually, it's even worse, it just totally hoses rosetta, and you have to reinstall OSX to get it back.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

actually, monolingual deletes any app's PPC code, even those that need it because they work in rosetta. Doing this leads to sporatic results like installs of word and photoshop not working. (I know because i just did it.)

actually, it's even worse, it just totally hoses rosetta, and you have to reinstall OSX to get it back.

Eeek!

A 180 on that advice then.

Personally I've only ever used it to strip the Swedish and zap the Finnish.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Yes, be very careful when using Monolingual. Happened to me and I ended up having to go the re-install route to get Rosetta back. Unfortunately the devs don't seem to see it as a problem since the last I checked, the support forums on the app SourceForge page were full of complaints about this issue and what few responses there were from them amounted to RTFM.

And as long as you are aware the problem and tell it not to remove the extra architectures, Monolingual seems to work very well (the issue is that it does this by default and then doesn't even tell you it's doing it and what the consequences are).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I wonder if there will be a way in Leopard to install only for the architecture you're using? I'd like to be able to install the Intel-only version of Photoshop, and not both Intel + PPC. By the by, IIRC Adobe offers Acrobat as a choice of architecture.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    xslimmer gets rid of ppc on apps you want and does not mess with rosetta. you can also go through library etc and get rid of foreign languages etc. i also dumped garageband , big board games and i movie. also quicktime caches and saves movies unless you disable in system prefs. this may help you save space.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Careful guys. I wouldn't go around deleting any bits of code. What you end up deleting doesn't add up to much anyway.

The first thing you should know is that your advertised 120 GB drive is not actually 120 GB. This is because the seller defines one GB as 1000 MB when the computer actually calculates it as 1024 MB. That is because when calculating all this, we use base 10 and the computer uses base 2, since it's you know binary. You can find out what your drives actual capacity is in Disk Utility. Mine was advertised as 100 GB but it's actually about 93 GB. Secondly, OS X takes up about 4-5 GB I believe. This can be slimmed down by reinstalling the OS. From there you can do a custom install and leave out all the languages and other stuff you don't want. Lastly there is all the software. Garage Band and iDVD are the biggest, but just look at how many apps you actually have. It's a lot. My advice is to just reinstall the OS. If you run out of space, buy and external HDD or just a larger internal HDD.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nimkip View Post

I brought home my macbook pro yesterday to turn it on and find that I only have 93 gigs of available space on my 120 gig hard drive. Is this space taken up by OS X and other preloaded software, or could something be wrong?

Thanks!

Generally, yes. Preinstalled stuff and demo tracks, themes etc. Languages, etc. Kinda makes sense. If you are concerned, do a fresh wipe - reinstall Mac OSX, and then install the System Restore disc, decide if you want XCode...... All this along the way you'll get a feel of what you're installing then after it you can see how much space it all takes up.