Apple World Wide Developer Conference 2007 slated for June

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc's annual developer gathering is currently scheduled to take place during the second week of June, nearly two months earlier than last year's event, AppleInsider has learned.



People familiar with the conference planning say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reserved the dates of June 10th through the 15th for the event, with a keynote presentation by chief executive Steve Jobs slated for Monday the 11th.



As has been the case in recent years, the week-long conference will reportedly take place at the Moscone West convention center in downtown San Francisco. Dates, however, could shift ahead of Apple's formal announcement early next month.



WWDC 2007 is widely expected to represent the official coming out party of Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system, following full disclosure of its feature set during a separate event in the preceding months. Current company roadmaps also indicate that launch of at least one new Mac system will coincide with the developer conference.



Thus far, Apple has remained tight-lipped about a number of features it plans to roll out with Leopard. People familiar with the matter say the company intends to divulge additional details following the worldwide launch of Windows Vista from Redmond-based rival Microsoft Corp. later this month. Similar, Apple is reportedly withholding the introduction of its next-generation iLife and iWork software suits due to their contingencies on forthcoming Leopard technologies. During a recent conference call, members of the company's leadership told analysts to "stay tuned" for information on a new iLife release, hinting at an announcement in the not-too-distant future.



Last year's World Wide Developers Conference took place during the second week of August. It gave way to the first public demonstration of Leopard, new Xeon Xserves, and the quad-core Mac Pro workstation.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 79
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    MacBook Pro's at this year's event?
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Leopard anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 79
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    My vote is for Mac Mini Pro!
  • Reply 4 of 79
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    They have moved it so it is will occur in the 'Spring' - I say this wil be the official release of Leopard. BTW, I think they're delaying the release of information on 'secret' features not to prevent copying by Vista (which they couldn't do in any case) but to allow Vista to establish its marketing direction before knowing what is in Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Isnt that when iPhone ships? June? What the hell, Steve? First, no mac stuff at MacWorld. Now, the WWDC occurs exactly when the iPhone ships?



    Can someone sync Steve's iCal?
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post


    They have moved it so it is will occur in the 'Spring' - I say this wil be the official release of Leopard. BTW, I think they're delaying the release of information on 'secret' features not to prevent copying by Vista (which they couldn't do in any case) but to allow Vista to establish its marketing direction before knowing what is in Leopard.



    I doubt very much that MS could turn around a quick copy if they had the source code in their hands 6 months ago. But I think your take on the delay is correct.



    Lets also hope that the shenanigans on backdating of stock options is put to rest, it sure has hurt them this quarter
  • Reply 7 of 79
    I'm fairly certain Apple will unveil the secret features of Leopard before long.

    I'm sure Apple would love to take the wind out of Microsoft's sales during their Vista launch.



    Windows diehards will buy Vista regardless of what Apple announces.

    But since every new release of Windows is always marketed as "the solution to all the problems with our previous OS" many will consider upgrading once the marketing machine shifts into high gear.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Leopard is the operating system on the phone, so it makes sense that unique hardware should ship when Leopard is finalized. Same is true for the 8 core MacPros, which would depend on code in Leopard, rather than a Tiger update. By the way, what happened to 10.4.9?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post


    I doubt very much that MS could turn around a quick copy if they had the source code in their hands 6 months ago. But I think your take on the delay is correct.



    Lets also hope that the shenanigans on backdating of stock options is put to rest, it sure has hurt them this quarter



    You should read his post again, he said he doubted they didn't reveal those features because Vista would copy them, but they kept them secret as Microsoft had to establish their marleting direction without having a clue what Apple's would be. I agree, and I also thing it wont hurt sales but rather boost them ala boom-factor/surprise-factor. As I have stated before I think the two main new features in Leopard will be; 1. New UI... 2. Radically new Finder, that relies heavily on Core Animation.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    First Day of Summer is June 21, 2007 so if unveiled at WWDC Leopard would still be released in "Spring 2007"
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post


    First Day of Summer is June 21, 2007 so if unveiled at WWDC Leopard would still be released in "Spring 2007"



    Officially? in the USA?



    Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.



    British Summer Time officially starts on Sunday 25th March 2007 until Sunday 28th October 2007. I think that's just us being optimistic though as everyone knows the British Summer lasts about 3 days in July.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    Officially? in the USA?



    Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.



    British Summer Time officially starts on Sunday 25th March 2007 until Sunday 28th October 2007. I think that's just us being optimistic though as everyone knows the British Summer lasts about 3 days in July.



    wasnt too bad this year though, but usually, yes about 3 days of sunshine.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    Officially? in the USA?



    Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.



    British Summer Time officially starts on Sunday 25th March 2007 until Sunday 28th October 2007. I think that's just us being optimistic though as everyone knows the British Summer lasts about 3 days in July.



    That is a six month period but you have four seasons. You are combining spring and summer together. spring starts in late march and ends in late june. summer ends in late september. autumn ends in late december. winter ends in late march. This is how it is in most of northern hemisphere. It is different near the tropics though.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.



    June 21 is the solstice, not the equinox. And yes, that is the start of summer ? on the Northern Hemisphere that is. (With the possible exception of the UK apparently...)



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    WWDC 2007 is widely expected to represent the official coming out party of Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system...



    Is that so? Widely expected? This is the first I've heard that prediction and I read this site every day.



    Apple says spring. Spring rarely means June, at least as far as I've ever heard. Even in Minnesota, we are well into summer weather by June... solstice or not.



    "Spring" is just too f-in ambiguous.



    -Clive
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bommai View Post


    That is a six month period but you have four seasons. You are combining spring and summer together. spring starts in late march and ends in late june. summer ends in late september. autumn ends in late december. winter ends in late march. This is how it is in most of northern hemisphere. It is different near the tropics though.



    "Spring" from 3/20 to 6/21 might be what's regarded as the official convention in the US, but it makes little sense. The summer solstice is 6/21, so it'd be like saying summer and spring have exactly the same daily distances to the sun, only inverted in time. Even considering the temperature "inertia" of the earth and atmosphere, it doesn't hold up. Even Shakespeare agrees with me, yo.



    Edit: I guess we could agree Leopard should be released within what is commonly considered Spring in the US, so American readers can clarify this for us.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esquare View Post


    June 21 is the solstice, not the equinox. And yes, that is the start of summer ? on the Northern Hemisphere that is. (With the possible exception of the UK apparently...)



    Ah, those crazy Brits. Gotta love 'em.







    -Clive
  • Reply 18 of 79
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple Inc's annual developer gathering is currently scheduled to take place during the second week of June, nearly two months earlier than last year's event, AppleInsider has learned.



    I don't see what the big deal is. Last year was an anomaly. They pushed WWDC so they'd have Leopard ready to show off. But WWDC traditionally has taken place in May or June (esp. when there was a MW expo on the east coast).



    And I surely would hope, for people spending $1500+ to go to the conference, that Apple doesn't waste its keynote showing off a bunch of closed hardware systems. Developers want to see stuff that affects them. Not much their developing talents can do for them with iPods, iTVs, iPhones, etc. And while a brief overview of all the new features in Leopard couldn't hurt, you would also hope that Apple will be doing more to prep them for the 'future' technologies they're working on, not just rehashing all the stuff they should know by the time Leopard ships (i.e. if Adobe is just finally getting some ideas of features in Leopard at this conference, their users are seriously screwed).
  • Reply 19 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I said it before and I'll say it again, 2007 will be TYOA.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Ah, those crazy Brits. Gotta love 'em.



    What about the Irish?

    Easter is always the first Sunday, after the first Full Moon, after the Vernal Equinox.



    PS, I don't there's a chance in hell that Apple's Leopard reaease will be as far off as WWDC '07. If I had to take a guess I'd say Leopard will be in the shops by end of April at the Very Very latest.
Sign In or Register to comment.