Image Editor

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for a basic image editor for OSX, not unlike Irfanview for XP. I want it to be able to open and save to a bunch of file types and I want it to perform basic actions like resize and crop.

Essentially I want a straightforward picture manipulation program. And no, I don't like iPhoto much at all. And no, I really don't feel like throwing down the money for Photoshop.

Honestly, I want Irfanview for OSX... it does everything I'd ever want it to do in an efficient way, but I know this isn't going to happen. The more Irfanview-like a program is, the better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    GraphicConverter is Universal Binary, comes bundled with many Macs, handles virtually every graphics format known to man, and is very much the poor man's Photoshop. If you don't have it, get it. If Apple hasn't paid the shareware fee for you, then it well worth it for you to pay. However, the app is fully functional even if you don't pay the fee.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    GraphicConverter is good. But it ain't free.

Try out CocoView X. I have been using it more than GC only because it is stable and has a nice GUI design. Here are it's features:

* DropBox : easy access to files and folders

* Fast image cache

* Rename series of images

* Fullscreen-view (browsable)

* (Random) Slideshow in fullscreen-view (auto rotate)

* Auto-refresh folder content

* Sortable list-view

* Scalable thumbnails (16px to 128px)

* Export files to JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP and GIF

* PDF and EPS support

* Quick export images

Export the next images with the options from the last one ( save-place, quality, geometry, filetyp) by just one key-press

( great for generating thumbnails for your web-page )

* Html export (with preset)

* Rescale,rotate,flip images

* Convert image to grayscale

* Accept or ignore DPI values

* Save ICNS files as TIFF or PNG images

* File manipulating : move, delete, copy, duplicate, create new folder, create alias

* Drag&drop files from or into Finder or other applications

* Send images to any Mail application

* Set image as desktop wallpaper

* Browser mac os x packets

* Comes in brushed metal (default) or classic look

* Drag&Drop files or folders onto the dock icon

* JPEG EXIF Support

* Import from Digital Camera

* Lossless Image Rotation

Did I say it was free? And open source so it'll get even better over time.

CocoView X
  • Reply 3 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just tried CocoView X, and while I do like it for the most part, I can't seem to find a way to resize anything...

Trying GraphicConverter now, will report back.

Wow, GraphicConverter's really what I'm looking for.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I think you should use ReaSoft image editing software; it is great batch image converter. And it supports multiple formats as I can see. Main features: Convert images to JPG, GIF, BMP, PBM, PGM, PNG, PPM, TGA, TIF image formats from any (BMP, DCR, EMF, GIF, ICO, JPEG, PBM, PCX, PGM, PNG, PPM, TIFF, TGA, WMF, FPX, EPS...).And we can resize, crop, rotate and mirror images, change color resolution. Change image's brightness, contrast, and gamma also.