200ppi+ screens

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It all about resolution.

With Leopard having resolution independent and Apple pushing developer to make resolution indepenent Application. I think resolution of screens are going to jump big time.

Currently at about 100ppi, it wasn't much jump from 72ppi but noticeable.

Apple iPhone is 160ppi, highest so far from apple.

ViewSonic and IDTech have a 204ppi (3840x2400) most amount of dots I've seen (9.2 Mega pixel).

Hitachi cellphone the highest ppi I've seen at 260ppi (800 x 480).

Forget 50" Display, when you are sitting 10" to 20" away from the screen 30" is big enough. I want more resolution.

I Have a 24" IMac (1920x1200) about 100ppi. If they double my 24" iMac to (3840x2400) at 200ppi, add blu-ray, and Leopard. You will be having ques out the door for that, and I be in that line.

Take the highest ppi (260) I've seen and biggest Apple screen (30") thats make 6240 x 3900 thats 24.3 Mega pixel. With current technology thats possible, can I have one please .

In print 175lpi is commonly high enough, so maybe 200ppi will be good enough for screens.

Any one know of a higher ppi and Mega pixel screen please tell.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    When not if Apple does this, and they redesign their mouse, and add a faster proc with flash on the mother board I'll buy a new 20" iMac with new refined design.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    westwest Posts: 34member
    This is something I'm dying for as well, but I thought I had heard a while back that currently 2560x1600 (the current 30" display) is the max resolution DVI can support. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would mean a new video interface would be needed in order to get these higher resolutions.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by West View Post

This is something I'm dying for as well, but I thought I had heard a while back that currently 2560x1600 (the current 30" display) is the max resolution DVI can support. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would mean a new video interface would be needed in order to get these higher resolutions.

Yes, beyond 2560x1600, you have to use multiple connectors.

Fortunately, Apple is involved with UDI, a DVI successor.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    Yes you need 4 DVI channels but you get that with 2 DVI-I cables. The 3D Labs - WildCat VP990 Pro with 512MB - Planned to support the 9.2 million-pixel LCD monitor. Still going to need 2 cables.

My dreams of a 24 million-pixel LCD monitor is just a dream
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I think that we will see ppi jumps in the MB family first. the 17' MBP will get 1920x1200, the 15" 1680x1050, and the MB will get 1440x900. or maybe they will even go another step higher accross the line. The iMacs will also probably get stepped up one level, as they have lower ppi than the MB line.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When not if Apple does this, and they redesign their mouse, and add a faster proc with flash on the mother board I'll buy a new 20" iMac with new refined design.

How about they give you a free toaster too?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

How about they give you a free toaster too?

could happen, i suppose.......but they'd call it "iPop".

EDIT: no, wait....they would release two models: iToast and iToast Nano (single slice). Now available in color, with click-wheel control!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    This is probably why apple is waiting to release the new ACD's until near when Leopard is released b/c without resolution independence its gonna look like shit most of the time.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Where do I find info about my computer screens ppi?

I'm using a 17" iMac G4. I'd like to compare its ppi to a new iMac's ppi.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Has most display PPI but not your IMac G4. Its has a 17.0" at 1440x900 which gets about 100ppi. Use a calculator like www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html to work it out.

It more the contrast ratio, viewing angle and brightness thats makes the new LCDs better.

We ave been at around 90-100ppi for a long time.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

I think that we will see ppi jumps in the MB family first. the 17' MBP will get 1920x1200, the 15" 1680x1050, and the MB will get 1440x900. or maybe they will even go another step higher accross the line. The iMacs will also probably get stepped up one level, as they have lower ppi than the MB line.

Thats around 135ppi, a nice step
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I'd like to see a 200+ ppi screen too. It would make text smoothing look phenomenal.

However, it really needs to go hand in hand with a resolution independent OS, otherwise existing screen text is going to look tiny... (On an existing non-resolution independent environment, 12pt Times would be effectively rendered at 6pt. Ouch!)

Leopard of course is, and Vista is meant to be too, but virtually no 3rd party apps have been updated to support it, and in fact it currently breaks most of them if you go away from 96 dpi.

Leopard should do a better job as most Mac apps use the same text rendering (hence the fact I get spell checking while typing this) so it should be easier to make the switch. 12 pt Times would look the same size as it does now, just much smoother. Apps would still need to be updated to draw their elements bigger.

But it's a bigger problem for pre-Leopard (Tiger) and Parallels / Boot Camp Windows XP users. The monitors (and software too in the case of Parallels?) would really need a pixel-doubling mode.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    just a note Vista doesn't have resolution independent.

When Apple does do it they will have some sort of transition method like pixel-doubling mode.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    6 pt font is readable by a lot of people at the right dpi..... many business cards commonly use 6 and 8 pt fonts
  • Reply 15 of 18
    24" at 2560 x 1600 at 125dpi woulds be a good start. Inside current video card DVI limits.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Sony ebook reader displays at 170 dpi. More dpi will lessen eye fatigue. My wish is Apple produces a smaller, lighter notebook with swivel screen including eink technology. eBooks from iTunes store are part of the digital frontier. Save the trees.

PeaceGreen
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benton View Post

Sony ebook reader displays at 170 dpi. More dpi will lessen eye fatigue. My wish is Apple produces a smaller, lighter notebook with swivel screen including eink technology. eBooks from iTunes store are part of the digital frontier. Save the trees.

PeaceGreen

True, higher PPI does lessen eye fatigue, and it does lool a lot sharper when used corrrectly w/ res independence.

But as to the notebook- the Macbook isn't small enough for you? The thing is freaking tiny compared to most of the laptops i've seen and used. As for the screen size, it's plenty sharp; it's just not designed to be looked at from a few inches away. And as for the swivel idea, i think that would be cool, but I prefer the current internal-hinge design over any others I have seen, b/c it is not only sturdier, but lets the compter be a perfect (albeit rounded-corner) rectangle when the laptop is closed. Apple would have to come up w/ an external hinge design (the TiBook, for example) to do the swivel thing. It's just not practical for the current designs.\

I totally agree about selling eBooks on iTunes. that would be great. they already have audiobooks, why not have the other? They would be readable on the iPhone's screen.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Yes, beyond 2560x1600, you have to use multiple connectors.

Fortunately, Apple is involved with UDI, a DVI successor.

UDI is pretty much dead after intel and samsung both jump to Display Port.

Hopefully 2.0 will offer more bandwidth that put it ahead of HDML 1.3