Initial Photoshop CS3 feedback encouraging for pro Mac sales

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Experts at the financial research firm PiperJaffray said on Wednesday that a wave of positive feedback on the Photoshop CS3 beta is a harbinger of much stronger Mac sales waiting in the wings.

As part of two separate research notes for investors, PiperJaffray's Gene Munster and Michael Olson noted that testers of the new photo editor were overwhelmingly in favor of the changes made since the CS2 edition and that the software was likely to have a "measurable positive impact" on Apple's pro computer sales. If released during the expected mid-spring window, they say the suite could boost Apple's total marketshare as much a full percentage point in combination with other factors.

This is due in no small part to Apple's dependence on creative pros, the analysts said. They claimed in the notes that roughly 15 percent of all Mac owners use at least one Adobe program as the backbone of their careers. Munster and Olson also pointed to an almost deafening level of requests for an Intel-native update to the Creative Suite as the primary reason so many Mac users were keeping their wallets closed.

"My company was ready to get 2 new Mac Pros," wrote one user quoted by the research firm. "But I recommended against [them] until CS3 is out. We can't run at half (quarter?) speed for months until they get their act together."

Thankfully for both Adobe and Apple, feedback on the Photoshop CS3 beta released last month was uniformly positive, according to PiperJaffray's data. An astounding 88 percent of respondents said they were pleased at some level with the overall quality of the beta, with 71 percent of the entire group saying it was "very satisfied." Surprisingly, not a single negative comment was received in the feedback.

Most of the testers studied by the financial group praised the sheer speed of the Photoshop build, even on PowerPC Macs that many thought would gain little from the transition to a Universal Binary. They also saw Adobe's new features, such as Smart Filters and automatic layer alignment, as genuinely useful.

To Munster and Olson, the early software seeds may bear real fruit for pro Mac sales when mixed with the rest of the CS3 release, which will be the first to see Fireworks and other ex-Macromedia applications interface directly with Adobe's software.

"Our belief is that the true value in CS3 is the collaborative workflow between the Adobe and Macromedia products," they said. "The real user excitement will not be apparent until Adobe releases the integrated suite."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Ooo "2 Mac Pros". Apple will be hurtin'!

Seriously though, when things like CS3 and Office are FINALLY universal, it will be fun to see the figures.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I was planning on getting an intel mac a long time ago. Turns out I'll be one of the pros migrating about the time CS3 releases. I have used PS CS3 (but on a ppc) and it seems to be snappier even on ppc. I hope apple sells a ton of mac pros when these apps release. It's unfortunate that M$ is cuttong features out of Office like VB...

Either way... hurry up adobe. I certainly hope that the latest rumors of a june 1st release are not true. 5.5 months is a ways away.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm one of them too waiting for CS3 before I'm upgrading to an intel mac. Now it's close enough so I'm about to upgrade. Unfortunately I'm also awaiting After Effects. It'll be a pain to use After Effects under Rosetta in the meanwhile... But according to Appleinsider After Effects 8 will be released in the end of June.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    the collaborative workflow is great and everything. But the awful new icons are Macromedia's doing. >=(
  • Reply 5 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Sounds like a lot of $ for Adobe when this finally comes out, and also improved sales for Apple. I hope it is not just Intel compatible but 10.5 Leopard compatible also.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I hope it is not just Intel compatible but 10.5 Leopard compatible also.

• Reply 7 of 18
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Yep. Mac Pro and iMac purchases awaiting CS3 in this office. Or the end of the financial year, whichever comes first.

I suspect this is a widespread phenomenon.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I couldn't wait for Adobe, I bought a Mac Pro not to long ago. Everything I use now is UB besides Adobe, and with enough ram, CS2 and Studio 8 run fine for the time being.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

the collaborative workflow is great and everything. But the awful new icons are Macromedia's doing. >=(

I rather like the icons, sure beats guessing which is what for those of us who may use PS or Illistrator or Golive some, but not at the core of our livlyhood (EG, Illustrator and /or PS to do lower thirds in video and Golive to add the content to the site)

Hmmm...do I want the purple swirly thing, the green or blue feather, or this other little thing here...the new icons are intuative, like iLife, the CD is music managment, the guitar is music creation, the webpage is a web tool, the camera is photo management etc -- they just replace the pics with letters...great move adobe.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    ""Surprisingly not one negative comment"

???

There were a slew of complaints on the Adobe beta forum. And I really don't think any serious PS user running the beta on an Intel Mac could use it native with the defective brush size issue. But that being said, I use it everyday in the Rosetta mode and LOVE it. It takes a little getting used to with the new palettes, and it is plenty fast on the dual 3.0 Mac Pro with 8 gigs of ram, so no complaints here.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Those are beta icons. They will change for the final version.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I have a last gen G5 and tested out PS CS3 and it ran great on my machine. CS2 always felt bloated and slightly sluggish for some reason (anybody else feel that way?)... I have CS here at home and that is what I run. Im glad I never bought CS2...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Yah, I have always felt cs2 was sluggish. I just figured it was because I didn't have a quad g5 =P
  • Reply 14 of 18
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I use it everyday in the Rosetta mode and LOVE it.

You sure you have the CS3 beta? It's universal, no need to be in rosetta.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You sure you have the CS3 beta? It's universal, no need to be in rosetta.

Uh.. yeah. Well if you run it as native Intel the brush sizes are broken which means the whole thing is useless as a photo retouching application, so I run it in Rosetta.

m
  • Reply 16 of 18
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Yah, I have always felt cs2 was sluggish. I just figured it was because I didn't have a quad g5 =P

ps cs2 is sluggish, period.

waiting for cs3
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"My company was ready to get 2 new Mac Pros," wrote one user quoted by the research firm. "But I recommended against [them] until CS3 is out. We can't run at half (quarter?) speed for months until they get their act together."

what is the actual performance comparison here? Surely if MacPro/Rosetta runs quicker than an existing PPC-based Mac it justifies the purchase now and when CS3 come out all the better. www.barefeats.com suggests anything less than a Quad G5 is going to be slower (http://www.barefeats.com/quad06.html)

Sounds like this argument is coming from the finance dept not the IT dept

McD
  • Reply 18 of 18
    also a pro waiting for cs3 to upgrade to an intel mac. i have the latest/greatest powerpc models. i'll probably hold on to my quad g5 for a while but i'll be upgrading my powerbook to a mbp shortly after the cs3 release.