What Apple Needs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple needs more, so much more. It needs to appeal to the average gamer and the hardcore gamer.

The only way Apple is going to soar if they market "gaming" specific Mac Pros or even issue another desktop. I know Boot camp and Parallel desktop are great tools to take advantage of both Windows XP and OS X, but with Vista coming out a whole new era of gaming will come. It will be a while yet before anyone makes the switch to Vista, but with new games coming out DirectX 10 and new OpenGL porting for PCs... things will change. People will want the newest and the best. As good as Apple has been at keeping up this is where they will fall behind. With DirectX 10 cards coming out Apple will face compatibility issues and have to make many changes. The one among many that they must change is in configurations. When you order a Mac Pro you don't get any kind of options of graphic cards and not everyone wants to go through the trouble of find kernel codes and worrying whether or not their $1800 they spent on four 1gb cards will work or not. The past year I have been thinking about making the switch, but as a hardcore gamer I can't leave gaming behind (ie windows gaming). So please Apple can you appeal to the gaming community? You have made the switch to x86 based processors so where is the nice gaming rig?:|

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No one needs or wants hardcore gaming on the Mac, 'cause we're all busy getting work done, not screwing around.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neophytepwner View Post

...When you order a Mac Pro you don't get any kind of options of graphic cards...

What are you talking about? Apple gives you these choices:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $149]

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $249]

3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $299]

4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $449]

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $1649]

\
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neophytepwner View Post

Apple needs more, so much more. It needs to appeal to the average gamer and the hardcore gamer.

The only way Apple is going to soar if they market "gaming" specific Mac Pros or even issue another desktop.

I think they will addresss some remaining gaming issues this year. Furthermore it seems to me that it's really mainly American's who want to game in PC's, it's not that popular here. It's all consoles here. That's why I think most if not all of the March PS3's are already pre-booked.

/by the way, that's a very descriptive title you have for the thread.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Do you really know how small of a market the hardcore gamers are? I mean really man I don't know anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer and windows fanboy. Besides who knows what apple has up their sleeve for DX10 and OpenGL in Leopard. What if their performance with both of those (don't ask me how they will get DX10) is better than anything Vista can do.

Besides I'm pretty sure that the Mac Pro is quite a good gaming machine. I mean just throw in a nice audio card and there are great graphics cards out there that will work for most people. The most I will be doing gaming wise on my Mac is playing GW. I'm not too sure but I think that my 2 gz Core Duo iMac with a gig of ram and 256 mg on the GPU should be enough to run it.

Anyways you can probably trust apple to come up with a solution soon anywaysa.