Airport Extreme a Risk?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to some, the new Airport Extreme may be a risk. It is not yet certified, and the spec could change. True? Old news? Can Airport Extreme be upgraded?

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/29651.html"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/29651.html</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Apple will release a firmware upgrade when the specs are finalized.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Also, I think the 802.11g draft spec has passed two rounds of the ratification process already, with possibly the final round coming up shortly.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Apple will release a firmware upgrade when the specs are finalized.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I should have guessed Apple would cover this base.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    A firmware update could handle any changes to the software side of the spec, but what about hardware? How likely is it that the final 11g spec calls for different hardware than what current Airport Extreme cards have got?

I don't know one way or the other if that may happen, I'm just kind of curious how the standardization process works. It would make sense that they'd nail down the hardware side of the spec before the software side, so this could very well not be a realistic problem.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It's an antenna and a transmitter/receiver. Not sure exactly how the specs could change so radically that would require replacement of either.

The only thing that would change is what's transmitted/received, and that could easily be handled with a firmware upgrade.

[ 03-09-2003: Message edited by: audiopollution ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    That said, I wonder if its possible (regardless of whether it will ever happen) to flash an 802.11b station to a 802.11g one? It is, after all, broadcasting on the same frequency and would thus use the same chipset(?).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R:

<strong>That said, I wonder if its possible (regardless of whether it will ever happen) to flash an 802.11b station to a 802.11g one? It is, after all, broadcasting on the same frequency and would thus use the same chipset(?).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting thought, 1337_5L4Xx0R. If this were possible, I would hope that Apple would offer a downloadable flash update for existing AirPort cards. I suspect that a good number of users would even be willing to pay a fee for such a service. On the other hand, Apple might intentionally be blocking a flash upgrade from 802.11b to 802.11g to encourage Mac users to upgrade to newer models.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Precisely. None of the 802.11b manufacturers would shoot themselves in the foot re: hardware sales by offering a ROM update.

But I imagine it is possible and maybe some conniving opensourcer could maybe figure out how.