Can I rip my own DVD for use by Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can I rip my own DVDs for use by Apple TV?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yes. Handbrake is your friend.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I use handbreak now but does anyone know if older programs used to rip will have worked? I used to use OpenShiva and before that FFmpeg so I have alot of DIVIX and .avi rips...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple2Mac View Post

I use handbreak now but does anyone know if older programs used to rip will have worked? I used to use OpenShiva and before that FFmpeg so I have alot of DIVIX and .avi rips...

Probably not, you'll have to convert them to mp4 to make them work.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Can DVD to iPod converter work on Apple TV? I just bought dvd to apple tv converter BUT found that it was DVD to iPod converter software.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joney View Post

Can DVD to iPod converter work on Apple TV? I just bought dvd to apple tv converter BUT found that it was DVD to iPod converter software.

I would assume so, but the resolution would probably be less than desirable.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Thanks for your answer.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Yes. Handbrake is your friend.

Also MacTheRipper, FFMpegX (h.264 mp4 mencoder)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple2Mac View Post

Ouch, you may have to re-rip your DVDs... \
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joney View Post

Hmm... that sounds dodgy. DVD to iPod and DVD to AppleTV are the same product? That's not what it sounds like on the website. Are you sure there isn't any "profiles" and stuff for AppleTV instead of iPod...??
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I thought AppleTV only worked with purchased content under fairplay. I guess a loop hole would be to label your ripped movies as podcasts inside of iTunes in order to play them. I guess we'll see when it ships.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

I thought AppleTV only worked with purchased content under fairplay.

That can't possibly be true.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

That can't possibly be true.

I doubt they want people subscribing to TV shows through a bit torrent client and having it sent straight to iTunes to be viewed on your TV. The idea sounds amazing, but I doubt they want that. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but I think it's true. All rumors until next month though.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Nah, you can play videos, not to mention music, that wasn't purchased through iTunes. It will be the same policy as the iPod. Look at Apple's AppleTV page, which lists the formats it supports.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

I doubt they want people subscribing to TV shows through a bit torrent client and having it sent straight to iTunes to be viewed on your TV. The idea sounds amazing, but I doubt they want that. I'm not sure where I heard it from, but I think it's true. All rumors until next month though.

It's not true. If it plays through iTunes it will -- following Apple's file recommendations online -- play on appleTV.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ImTOO DVD to Apple TV Converter - rip DVD and convert DVD to Apple TV MP4 (MPEG-4), convert DVD to Apple TV music MP3, AAC, WAV.

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimini View Post

ImTOO DVD to Apple TV Converter - rip DVD and convert DVD to Apple TV MP4 (MPEG-4), convert DVD to Apple TV music MP3, AAC, WAV.

Hey, thanks for the spam.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    maymay Posts: 5member
    I think so.You should change it to mp4 first, and you must assure its quality.So choose a good converter is important.http://www.sharewareguide.net ,you can find one you like,I think.