Aperture and Photoshop

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, so I'm getting more into photography, I'm thinking about buying a better camera, and taking this a little more seriously. My question is can Photoshop do what Aperture does? I've been looking Aperture, and it seems that Photoshop can do everything it can do. I know Aperture has nondistructive editing (which is a big feature), and gives you multiple ups or light table options, but as far as editing goes, are they equal? I already have Photoshop, and I plan on upgrading when the CS3 suite comes out, so I don't want to buy something else if I don't really need to. Any opinions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    i'm not sure what you're asking really. aperture and photoshop aren't really for the same things. the next version of photoshop will likely use a lightroom-inspired raw importer, so yeah, it'll do everything that aperture does plus all of the traditional editing abilities of photoshop.

aperture has such a small fraction of the functionality of photoshop that it's not really a fair comparison. as it stand, lightroom already has more functionality than aperture and they're in the same category.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've been reading a lot about Aperture vs Photoshop, and some of them say that everything in Aperture can be done in Photoshop, and be done better. Apperently Aperture has a crappy RAW image converter that adds distortion and noise to images, were as Photoshop doesn't. I also read that some of the tools in Photoshop are accually better then Aperture like: The shapening tools, and the levels tools. One review also said that the Histogram reading in Aperture was way off. If you import a bad distorted image in Aperture it will show an "ideal" histogram. When you import it to Photoshop, it will show that the image is badly distorted (like it really is). Does anyone know anything about this?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Most of this was for Aperture 1.0. Aperture 1.5 is much better.

Photoshop's Camera RAW IS still better than Aperture's though. Here's two really good comparisons:

http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2006/...ightroom_.html

http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2006/...re_vs_lig.html

Aperture actually has better levels than Photoshop, but it lacks Curves. Aperture's levels are so good that it reduces the need for Curves, but it's not quite the same.

Aperture's sharpening lacks a 'threshold' control. This means that when sharping up your picture, you end up sharpening your noise too.

Finally, Aperture's histogram is slightly rounded: Posterization will not show up. This isn't a serious problem for anyone, especially since most RAW images will be more than 8 bits anyway. Unless you're working with contrived images, you can't really get any posterization in Aperture anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Well I downloaded Lightroom first to give it a shot. I'll try the demo of Aperture too and see which works for me I guess, I do like Lightroom right now though, it feels the same as every other Adobe app.