Graphics - 15" V 12/17"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know nothing about graphics cards but am currently waiting for the new 15" Powerbook to be released. Budget is tight so I'm considering getting a Ti (hopefully at a lower price) when the new ones are released.

I know the 12 and 17 both have the same graphics cards in so I assume the new 15 will as well. I was just wanting someone to explain to me in laymans terms what the difference between the two cards is, and which, in your opinion, is the better?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The 12" and 17" both have nVidia cards but they are different models. The one in the 17" is much better than the one in the 12".
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    it depends, it seems that the overall performance of the 1ghz models is very similar for the ti and the al, likewise the performance of the 867 models, whether al 12 or ti 15 is pretty similar.

I don't see any deals on ti's right now, but if they came up, i'd consider it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    im running a 15" ti 800 rev b or c i think

just max out the ram to 1gb & it will run fine

everything i have on it runs fine..

if you intend to play games then get a pc

the mouse accleration bug makes games like mohaa

hard to control.

other than that its a good laptop & a good buy

no need to spend a lot of money on the latest

& greatest
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    This topic has already been covered. Twice. I sarted the first thread.

But I'll help you out anyway: Everyone seems to agree that the ATI Radeon 9000 on the 15" Ti is better than the Nvidia on the 17" Al.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    if money is tight why don't you just buy a TI on eBay

I just sold one with an extra battery, a case and an a 3 year warrantee for $2800, you could probably get a stock one for $2000 :cool:
  • Reply 6 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Being NVIDIA they simply don't know how to write drivers. Their are multiple glitches on my 12", such as laggy DVD playback, and multiple horizontal lines whenever something moves fast, like a movie, game, or even Finder window, like I mentioned in two threads I posted a while back about 12" graphics weirdness and DVD lag.

This is the first NVIDIA in a laptop though, so we'll see if Apple and NVIDIA set this straight with an update.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    Sorry if the subject's already been covered - i did search but because I didn't really know what I was talking about, didn't find suitable results... anyway...

Are these 'glitches' in the 12/17 something that can be fixed with a software update? I assume it doesn't just mean that early rev owners will just have to put up with less than perfect displays while Apple and NVIDIA (?) sort themselves out?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I sure hope NVIDIA corrects this crappiness. It's really starting to get on my nerves now that I just got into gaming (last time I played games was on a IIsi

Go for a 12" though seriously, I'm sure there will be an NVIDIA update in a week or two and then it will be smoooth as buttah.