A little bird told me

Comments

• Reply 181 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy View Post

Lemon, Nice reasoning , as always

Seriously, and SPEAKING ENTIRELY MY OWN OPINION ( let's leave the obscure sources to the Little Bird rhyming mode), the iMac is still Apple's reference machine and, as such, the recipient of first priority hard core innovation.

Now back to Birdie Mode...

Hard Core prioriaty innovation makes it's way into the Mac Pro and or Mac Book Pro first, not the iMac. The only innovation that the iMac has done was origianlly to really consolidate the needs addressed by the consumer in a competative low priced Mac...but today even that has gone away to a degree since the G3 iMac was a bit more closly matched to the PowerMacs of it's day than the current iMac is to the Mac Pro's today. Before anyone flames me, I'm not saying that the iMac is a bad deal or under powered, and in fact think that for the majoriaty of users is the best suited form facter on the market. I think that they should have a conroe in them, but I'm sure the tech says its not possible in the form factor. A form factor which I'm sold on and am typing away on now.
  • Reply 182 of 377
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    When the days number two and twenty

The air will be filled with bird songs a plenty

Songs will change to excited squeaks and squawks

When the leopard is spotted by watchful hawks

Oh, screw it... http://applerecon.com/2007/01/23/app...on-february-20
  • Reply 183 of 377
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Ok. Back to take my punishment.

Seriously, I was terribly misguided or at least my source was.

I do really, really know Apple people and I was terribly (or intentionally) misguided.

They did came through with the 802.n Airport update, but it was terribly short (inexistent) on all other guesses.

Maybe these hardware updates will come sooner rather than later.

While the 8 core MacPro is a VERY PREDICTABLE product, I think the new iMac, which I STILL believe will be a rather different animal, will show up soon. I was told to expect a SPECIAL DISPLAY with this iMac and that it would seriously please the Tablet fans.

Again, I don't know.

One thing is for sure, I was blown away with the iPhone and I had ZERO info on it.

Despite the early rants about the GSM, 3G , contract plans, Not available in Europe etc, etc, this is a HUGE product in all senses. We shall see. I love it.

Now we know what to expect on the next iteration of the iPod Video, right ? Just take away the phone mess, and watch. It will be fun.

Thanks for the effort, comments and replies to the riddles. It was really fun to me, too.

Best Regards and a tremendous 2007 year to all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

The idea (or is that iDea? ) of an iMac with a detachable or portable tablet style screen, with a base station is fantastic - it would solve much of my perennial dilemma of desktop or portable... I hope your source was right about that, even if it didn't come out this week.

So do you guys just mean a rehash of this wish list? Because it seems every recent tablet rumor on the web is 90+% compatible with that post from last April.

Quoted so you don't have to jump:
    Quote:

I want a tablet that's actually a tablet -- think steno pad sized. That gives you a form factor of 6.5x9.5 and 5/8" thick. 1.5lbs/680 grams.

Full wireless connectivity, and auto-synching with your desktop or laptop if it knows where it is on the network--worldwide. Uses your laptop/desktop on the network to get heavy duty tasks done, not quite thin client, but more X-grid/remote desktop like.

Put a 9.5 to 10" widescreen touch sensitive display on it, that's bigger than the original Macintoshes had with about a 1/4" bezel and a great size weight for on the go video. Usually, but not always streamed from your own home/work machine! Gotta be able to have enough local storage to watch on a plane/train, or kids in the back seat crossing the wastes of Nebraska.

A battery good for 12 hours in a reasonable conservation mode, 100% non-moving storage. Tons of RAM and lots of flash. It's all local cache for more speed on less power draw.

Killer app? - Sound recording capability and built in sound editing/voice parsing for post meeting/class processing. Farm that work out to the laptop/desktop and save battery. Now you can sit in a meeting or lecture, take time stamped notes and drive a auto-transcript generation utility. This gets even better if you make it Keynote syncable. Just import any PPT slides to Keynote and get the full auto synch for later playback/review. Yeah, there are implementation details here but you get the idea. Never again have some asshat be able to wriggle out of a statement made in a meeting or lecture. Never again have to lug something more than a pound an a half to do notes on or handle quick jottings.

Killer app 2?. When sitting on the desk next to the laptop/desktop and docked for recharging have a mode that would work like an intelligent input device/second monitor simultaneously. I can't begin to tell you how slick that would be for prototyping ideas, or marking up homework, etc.

Throw some other cool app stuff in to boot, I'm sure some of you have some more great ideas. Bottom line is this is not a primary machine replacement, and not a repackaged form factor of anything currently in the market today. It is a new set of functionality in a form factor that could be positioned as the ultimate must have lightweight extension of the current machine into a worldwide computing asset. You are essentially taking your office/home machine's capabilities with you in the size of a steno pad. I probably won't do great for FPS dynamic graphics games, but could probably handle most other genre's just fine, and that's OK because that's FPS is not what it would be designed for.

It would probably also drive a little ecosystem of accessories like on-the-go keyboards, optical drives, GPS navigation and other I/O devices [universal semi-self programming home theater remote? interface] to add things some folks want that others don't.

Shoot for the $499-$599 price point. We are't far off from the capability right now, battery life/form factor and some of the remote software design are the biggest issues right now. Apple already has the underlying technological pieces, just not stitched together in one cohesive manner.

The appleRecon blog is almost a complete rehash of it. Just a little bit of embellishing and call it a leak! But it's just a wish list...
  • Reply 184 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Yet 'Still the truth shapes itself from curved assumptions' puzzles me. Which Apple product is 'curved' these days? The all-in-one iMacs are gone, so the sunflower iMacs, everything's boxy these days.

But then maybe 'curved assumptions' merely means I was way off and need to do a 180 degree U-turn... Which could simply mean no displays but something else.

Something else, indeed...
  • Reply 185 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

Hard Core prioriaty innovation makes it's way into the Mac Pro and or Mac Book Pro first, not the iMac. The only innovation that the iMac has done was origianlly to really consolidate the needs addressed by the consumer in a competative low priced Mac...but today even that has gone away to a degree since the G3 iMac was a bit more closly matched to the PowerMacs of it's day than the current iMac is to the Mac Pro's today. Before anyone flames me, I'm not saying that the iMac is a bad deal or under powered, and in fact think that for the majoriaty of users is the best suited form facter on the market. I think that they should have a conroe in them, but I'm sure the tech says its not possible in the form factor. A form factor which I'm sold on and am typing away on now.

Hmm...

The beard on the white man is longer, but deeper, than the grey beard on the grey man.

Still, the white man laughs, for he is no hunter and sees no prey...
  • Reply 186 of 377
    Quote:

Hmm...

The beard on the white man is longer, but deeper, than the grey beard on the grey man.

Still, the white man laughs, for he is no hunter and sees no prey...

OK....

the white beard is the "chin" of the current iMac

the grey beard is the lower bezel of the current Apple Displays

And how race relations, gun control and school prayer works in....I haven't a clue.
  • Reply 187 of 377
    I know Jobs' Plans

Really!

1. New iMac design that will let users "feel" the experience

2. A tablet (codenamed "T-7") will be docked or portable using the larger scale multi-touch and the new revised "inkwell technology"

3. 6G iPod with multi-touch tech. keeping the hard disk based players in the field.

4. Larger LCD displays with more ppi and integrated iSight or without (make sense?)

5. A television, analog and digital (they need a use for the material not being MT'd)

6. Windose support in leopard (being able to run PC programs on OS X natively without windose)

7. Digital camera for photography use (quicktake is back)

8. Games/Controller for Apple ?TV

9. 500G HDD's for Notebook, Tablet and iMacs

10.Complete domination over the PC industry with the new system, all of the above and iTunes 8 HD!

The above will take it's coarse over this year and next.

Your Welcome, for more info, contact me via Myspace/Longinotti

• Reply 188 of 377
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

So December flew away.

And January isn't here to stay.

But a present that S. left behind..

Will pop out before February time.

Dark skies and imposing lights.

Made a show and our delights

But still there's stars in this sky so bright

You'll get more than you asked for.

Little birdie did fly away

And now I see why little he was

And all his claims were also tiny

So, braces yourselves and spring your money..

To be continued...

Give it a rest, jackass.
  • Reply 189 of 377
    you give it a rest, wilco - these are the most entertaining form of rumors ever...

tons better than "hey - my friend of a frien who works with a cousin of a neighbor said that a new iPod will come out next year with a 25" widescreen touchscreen controls with a built-in speaker phone and isight...but here's the thing - the design crew won't let anyone know about it, so my source is really a janitor who stumbled across crumpled napkins from Steve Jobs personal lunch with Jesus"

give me a break wilco - you know you like these rhymes...jackass...
  • Reply 190 of 377
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

you give it a rest, wilco - these are the most entertaining form of rumors ever...

tons better than "hey - my friend of a frien who works with a cousin of a neighbor said that a new iPod will come out next year with a 25" widescreen touchscreen controls with a built-in speaker phone and isight...but here's the thing - the design crew won't let anyone know about it, so my source is really a janitor who stumbled across crumpled napkins from Steve Jobs personal lunch with Jesus"

give me a break wilco - you know you like these rhymes...jackass...

I have to agree. It is harmless fun. That is what we are all here for. If you want solid evidence of upcoming Apple products go and break into 1 infinite loop.

• Reply 191 of 377
    I am surprised that this hasn't been picked-up by others en masse. It seems so obvious to me that any partnership b/w Google and Apple are going to result in an amazing geospatial device.

It's the ONE THING that hasn't been uttered by Mr. Jobs yet - but remember you heard it here first!

There will be a very tight integration w/ Leopard and you can carry your world with you.
  • Reply 192 of 377
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cartomat View Post

I am surprised that this hasn't been picked-up by others en masse. It seems so obvious to me that any partnership b/w Google and Apple are going to result in an amazing geospatial device.

It's the ONE THING that hasn't been uttered by Mr. Jobs yet - but remember you heard it here first!

There will be a very tight integration w/ Leopard and you can carry your world with you.

An amazing google/apple app- iwheredidiputit

helps you find missing objects using spotlight and google.

where did i put my keys?

where did i put my car?

Actually, that would be kind of cool. I suppose you could use rfid tags on your objects and have them report to the iDevice. You could buy sheets of rfid tags to put on all sorts of objects and have them synced to the iDevice.
  • Reply 193 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

An amazing google/apple app- iwheredidiputit

helps you find missing objects using spotlight and google.

where did i put my keys?

where did i put my car?

That is pretty much what Woz had been working on:

Quote:

It's official, Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak's Wheels of Zeus, had been focused tracking items of value to people and corporations using inexpensive GPS technology, has been shut down. By my count this is Wozniak's second failed attempt to start a company that would pioneer new ground.

More info at: http://news.com.com/Wozniak+shuts+do...l?tag=nefd.top

With Wheels of Zeus gone the way of the sock puppet, Wozniak is free to focus his talents on acquisitions at AcQuior, with fellow Apple alums Gil Amelio and Ellen Hancock. I wonder if Wozniak will be more successful under the button down tutelage of Ellen Hancock than he's been in previous attempts as an entrepreneur.

I'm not going to hold my breath to see how long it takes Acquicor to exhaust its considerable checking account or how long Wozniak will last. Who's next for the Acquicor lineup, Del Yocam?

• Reply 194 of 377
    Someone said "Tuesday" ?
  • Reply 195 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Someone said "Tuesday" ?

Yes, it was me. What do I win?
  • Reply 196 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Give it a rest, jackass.

as i was walking down the street

a little birdy did i meet

it told me not of Apple Inc

but other things of which to think

"Rumour sites are all and well,

but don't always have the truth to tell.

We go to them just the same,

'cos guessing can be a great game"

We share ideas of what we want

from iMacs to a great new font

We rave and moan and speculate

if Mac Pro's cores will soon be eight

When everything is said and done

We all agree it's been some fun

If you can't get that into your head

Then go enjoy another thread!

I do not know if you have heard

(Another nugget from the bird)

Creative people use Macs too

And we have rights just like you

We express ourselves, very gladly

It doesn't matter quite how badly

Through OSX, not XP's sister

The uninspiring Windows Vista

• Reply 197 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Yes, it was me. What do I win?

You did , indeed...

Well, I have "late January/early february" and "Tuesday".

Performing a JOIN on these 2 SUBSETS yelds...
  • Reply 198 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

as i was walking down the street

a little birdy did i meet

it told me not of Apple Inc

but other things of which to think

"Rumour sites are all and well,

but don't always have the truth to tell.

We go to them just the same,

'cos guessing can be a great game"

We share ideas of what we want

from iMacs to a great new font

We rave and moan and speculate

if Mac Pro's cores will soon be eight

When everything is said and done

We all agree it's been some fun

If you can't get that into your head

Then go enjoy another thread!

I do not know if you have heard

(Another nugget from the bird)

Creative people use Macs too

And we have rights just like you

We express ourselves, very gladly

It doesn't matter quite how badly

Through OSX, not XP's sister

The uninspiring Windows Vista

Very nice!
  • Reply 199 of 377
    Quote:

You did , indeed...

Well, I have "late January/early february" and "Tuesday".

Performing a JOIN on these 2 SUBSETS yelds...

Friday! Oh, wait, do you mean to take the mean value too?
  • Reply 200 of 377
    If I were Apple, I would be grabbing the Crossover guys' tech, and optimizing the heck out of it-- so it obviated (in large part) the need to install Windows. I would never install Boot-camp or Parallels, as I don't want to buy another OS and have M$ peer at me.... But this is software. :/

I think there has to be another Mac Product on the horizon, iPhone and iTV are pretty nifty, and my hunch is that Apple will stagger the products' introductions so people's wallets can recover

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider