Superduper?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Will this be enough to recover everything of mine on my Mac? ie preferences, widgets etc.?

/I am the only user on this Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In any case I'm pretty sure it is, that's why I already started it, but I just wanted to be 100% sure that's all.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Widgets often go in the /Library/widgets folder. Also, some prefs go in /Library/preferences. Then you've got fonts. What I would do is clone the entire drive if possible and then selectively delete items you don't want. It's nice to have a bootable drive anyway for a quick recovery from a damaged boot drive.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Yes. But set it up for a Smart Update the next time you do it. While you are at it, just create a schedule so it does it on a regular schedule for you. It has saved my butt many times on file deletes.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Will this be enough to recover everything of mine on my Mac? ie preferences, widgets etc.?

Yes. Everything on the source partition. (Aside from some caches etc. that aren't relevant data.)

The target will be bootable, and will represent a fully functional duplicate system.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Yes. Everything on the source partition. (Aside from some caches etc. that aren't relevant data.)

The target will be bootable, and will represent a fully functional duplicate system.

Thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Yes. But set it up for a Smart Update the next time you do it. While you are at it, just create a schedule so it does it on a regular schedule for you. It has saved my butt many times on file deletes.

That means I have to pay for it. I'll hold out for Time Machine thank you very much.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Not with the settings he has chosen. The menu is set on user data backup only, which will only copy the users folder. You need to choose "Backup - all files" for a clone.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not with the settings he has chosen. The menu is set on user data backup only, which will only copy the users folder. You need to choose "Backup - all files" for a clone.

Good catch. I feel stupid for missing that.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

To be honest I knew that anyway, I was just thanking him for his help.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

To be honest I knew that anyway

So what was the point of the thread?

You asked if it will back up all your data and we've established it won't.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

So what was the point of the thread?

You asked if it will back up all your data and we've established it won't.

You seem to misunderstand, I knew it wouldn't be bootable.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Personally, I like Carbon Copy Cloner. The backups are even bootable!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    So are the ones from SuperDuper.

I backup my stuff on a external HD every day, and I can boot from that HD without any problems.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    How come I cannot backup a folder to another folder with Super duper? I mean I have a folder that I want to backup automatically into another folder on a different partition or somewhere else. Why can't I do that?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

To be honest I knew that anyway, I was just thanking him for his help.

Just out of curiousity, is your LaCie connected via USB or FireWire? I tried a LaCie Brick (300GB) (USB) with SuperDuper, but it ALWAYS hung up when doing a complete backup, at around 170,000+ files.

I ended up borrowing a friends Adaptec ACS-100 external enclosure, connecting with FireWire, to make the backup. That works every time.

I'm curious is it's working for you with USB and if so, what drive are you using?

By the way, I had the same problems with my usb drives on my MacBook (Core Duo) and my iMac (C2D) but had good results on both with the FireWire drive. A new Adaptec enclosure is on it's way to me as we speak, er, type, whatever.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've used Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!, and I prefer SuperDuper for my backup needs.

These tools are a different beast than Time Machine, so I recommend both. Use Time Machine for incrementally backing your files as you go so you can easily find and resurrect an old or damaged file (histortical backups). Use SuperDuper for a full HD snapshot, that you can turn to if your main drive fails.

Really though, any backup scheme should be multi layered. In addition to the backups above, I'd suggest a few drives you rotate through. This way, if lightning strikes while you're backing up your data, your main drive and sole backup won't both be smoked.

I guess its a tradeoff between money and time. If you lost your main drive, how much downtime and how much data loss can you handle? At this point HDs are cheap, and I'd much rather have an extra 500 GB drive I can quickly turn to in an emergency rather than waste time rebuilding my system. Any loss of data is unacceptable... I've seen it happen and I don't want to be there.