Briefly: Early iPhone rumors afloat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

They already released the Powerbook G5, its called Macbook Pro. The G series of processors (By IBM) have been discontinued and you will never see another G-Anything processor from Apple. What you may wanna keep an eye out for is a AMD processor availabilty

Oh, your just full of it! Everyone knows the Powerbook G5s are around the corner. Apple's just waiting until everyone's mind is elsewhere, and then its "We're here to announce the PowerBook G5s!" [Wait for huge applause to be over, as anything Steve says requires applause - its like a State of the Union speech, for goodness sakes]. "And one more thing. Here's the 3GHz Power Mac G5s!" [The roof comes crashing down, there's riots in the streets, anarchy has taken hold, people setting couches on fire (West Virginia only), cars being flipped, wide-spread looting (except at Gateway Country stores, for some unknown reason). Chaos will just plain reign. This is all Steve needs to convince the governments of the world to cede him ultimate power, else he'll unleash the tablet mac, and bring civilization to its knees. Bwahahahahahahaha.

Or, maybe, someone could read the sarcasm of a post rather then thinking someone's actually waiting for a non-existent product.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think he was being cynical.

Or sarcastic.

• Reply 23 of 43
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Does anyone know how to check the FCC approval status?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    In these times of rumors and false information, it's good to know that AppleInsider is there to attest that largely unconfirmed reports are implying something.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobsmells View Post

In these times of rumors and false information, it's good to know that AppleInsider is there to attest that largely unconfirmed reports are implying something.

You may be happier at this website.

http://www.macworld.com/

This site does have rumors and speculation on all things Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You may be happier at this website.

http://www.macworld.com/

This site does have rumors and speculation on all things Apple.

Just having a laugh at the wording there, mate. I'm as addicted to every scrap of rumor as anyone else at this site.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Handling Apple Rumors 101:

The more "sources" talk about a rumor, the more likely it's true.

The more analysts talk about a rumor, the more likely it's true.

The more journalists talk about a rumor, the more likely it's true.

The more patents Apple's filed in that category, the more likely the rumor's true.

The more it fits Apple's product life cycles and design precedents, the more likely it's true.

The more a factory says they have a contract to build it, the more likely it's true.

The closer it gets to a media event in which Apple is participating, the more likely it's true.

The more you'd desperately want to own it, the more likely it's true (seriously).

HOWEVER...

If Joe Shmoe Nobody gets on here and his first post is about what his friend-who-knows-a-guy said, don't put much stock in it.

If a rumor site posts it and none of the others corroborate with SEPARATE AND INDEPENDENT SOURCES, don't put a lot of stock in it.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by terrillja View Post

but their xserves SHIPPED late in 06, November perhaps? So as far as server products, they came close to that deadline

The Intel transition was interesting. Steve said that "by this time next year" (ie mid 2006) the first Intel Macs would be shipping. He said that the transition would take the 2 years from 2006-2007. He was very loose with his wording. Nearly everyone thought it meant "June 2006 for the first Macs" - though 2006-2007 implied early 2006 to late 2007 (= 2 years).

I don't remember a similar weasle-wording in the iPhone launch. He said June. I'm sure he would happily be earlier and that there is plenty of room for surprises.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

3. (Dreaming) There are serious ties to Leopard--aka The Secret Features--which will make the Leopard launch along with iPhone simply incredible

Interesting if you tie "Leopard has top secret features" to "the iPhone runs Leopard" and "the iPhone did not have even a beta version of the calendar". It is quite possible that there are some new features he didn't want to show yet.

ie: The apps are done. They just can't be shown. (And the phone can't be released until Leopard?)
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

The Intel transition was interesting. Steve said that "by this time next year" (ie mid 2006) the first Intel Macs would be shipping. He said that the transition would take the 2 years from 2006-2007. He was very loose with his wording. Nearly everyone thought it meant "June 2006 for the first Macs" - though 2006-2007 implied early 2006 to late 2007 (= 2 years).

I don't remember a similar weasle-wording in the iPhone launch. He said June. I'm sure he would happily be earlier and that there is plenty of room for surprises.

as to the iPhone release, he said it would be "shipping in June." that may not be weasle wording, but a product shipping in June can certainly also be shipping in April.

confirmed: the iMac will be shipping in June.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think Steve said that the Intel transition would still be taking place into 2007.

Yeah, second half, sometime.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Does anyone know how to check the FCC approval status?

I don't know of any way to get pending testsets.

But if you go here:

http://www.phonescoop.com/index.php

You will find a link to it once it is available.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Interesting if you tie "Leopard has top secret features" to "the iPhone runs Leopard" and "the iPhone did not have even a beta version of the calendar". It is quite possible that there are some new features he didn't want to show yet.

ie: The apps are done. They just can't be shown. (And the phone can't be released until Leopard?)

Even if the phone does use Leopard, it's likely on a separate development track. It would be easier to do it for the iPhone which is a far simpler creature than a computer.

So, it could be ready earlier. It migh just be the apps that aren't all finished. They would need more time to be worked after the OS is ready.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It is quite possible that there are some new features he didn't want to show yet.

There are so many unanswered questions about the iPhone, that its pretty clear everything wasn't shown.

In an interview Jobs was asked about iChat. He was pretty coy in his answer basically saying, "I see no reason why iChat could not be used."
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Or, maybe, someone could read the sarcasm of a post rather then thinking someone's actually waiting for a non-existent product.

I know a lot of people who are actually waiting for a Powerbook G5, and I have heard that a lot in all sincerity. Its new Apple people who knew about the previous products and don't even know about the new Intel Macs...

That and either a lot of people joke about that or a lot of people honestly don't know about the end of the G-series, because I personally see that a lot. I was at work during my first readthrough so I didn't have much time to read into sarcasm.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There are so many unanswered questions about the iPhone, that its pretty clear everything wasn't shown.

In an interview Jobs was asked about iChat. He was pretty coy in his answer basically saying, "I see no reason why iChat could not be used."

A lot of this stuff is basic. iChat requires the web for access. If web access works, then I can't see why ichat wouldn't.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

I know a lot of people who are actually waiting for a Powerbook G5, and I have heard that a lot in all sincerity. Its new Apple people who knew about the previous products and don't even know about the new Intel Macs...

That and either a lot of people joke about that or a lot of people honestly don't know about the end of the G-series, because I personally see that a lot. I was at work during my first readthrough so I didn't have much time to read into sarcasm.

That really is sad if people are so ignorant of Apple's life change so loudly proclaimed everywhere, that they are still expecting a product that everyone else has known was dead a full year ago.

It's hard to believe that people who are waiting for a "new" Apple product haven't looked even once to find out what is happening for the past 12 months. 18, if the announcement in June 2005 was taken as a *hint*.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

I'm sick of all this iPhone stuff. Wheres my Powerbook G5?

yaaaa haha i dont wanna get rid of my powerbook g4 for an intel no way...but i know soon i will have to ....i guess im gonna bypass this summer and just end up getting a dell with vista, see how that goes, but next summer hopefully a new mac/powerbook will be out and the 17" will be mine
  • Reply 38 of 43
    I wonder if the European launch will be brought forward too if they're a couple of months early in the USA. Otherwise it's another couple of months of American Crash Test Dummy testing before we get one with the bugs worked out here in Europe.

If the v1 hardware is essentially done now and working it's way through Taiwan's factories as we speak, let's hope they've got the v2 hardware ready for the European launch. Something like this 3G phone from Meizu would be nice...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/m...-your-engines/
  • Reply 39 of 43
    What most are missing is the logic behind why almost every intel product shipped way before it was announced: in order not to completely kill sales of the existing product.

If I need an ipod now, I might buy one, knowing that the iphone is coming in June, several months away. By April or May, no one is going to buy a higher end Ipod until they see the iphone. So Apple announces June, then ships in April or May, in order not to kill all possible sales of the existing line.

That is the only sensible way to run their business, I knew that would happen with the Intel rollout, and it did. It will also happen with the iphone...

steve
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

What most are missing is the logic behind why almost every intel product shipped way before it was announced: in order not to completely kill sales of the existing product.

If I need an ipod now, I might buy one, knowing that the iphone is coming in June, several months away. By April or May, no one is going to buy a higher end Ipod until they see the iphone. So Apple announces June, then ships in April or May, in order not to kill all possible sales of the existing line.

That is the only sensible way to run their business, I knew that would happen with the Intel rollout, and it did. It will also happen with the iphone...

steve

Perhaps, perhaps not. with the software in so obvious an incomplete state, it may simply not be ready by that time. By accounts, AT&T's network software is also not quite ready.

This has to work perfectly out of the box. Phones are not computers, despite what might be inside. If there are problems, it could kill the sales very quickly..

It would be nice if you were right, but don't put money on it just yet.

By the way, welcome!