Apple serves up $1.99 AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Along with colored iPod shuffle models, Apple on Tuesday put up for sale a highly controversial software patch that will let owners of its latest Intel-based Macs activate next-generation wireless technologies hidden inside their computers.

"Many Mac computers with an Intel Core 2 Duo and all Mac Pro computers with AirPort Extreme can be enabled to access 802.11n-based wireless networks," Apple wrote in a description of the $1.99 software update posted to its online store. "If you purchased one of these Macs, you can use the AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler software to activate this advanced wireless capability."

Those customers who plan to purchase or have already placed orders for the company's 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station need not purchase the software update separately, as it will be included free with the new Apple router.

Apple said Macs that have 802.11n hardware built-in include the MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo, MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme option, and iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac).

The company recommends that customers check to make sure that their Mac does not already have the 802.11n enabler installed before purchasing the software patch. To do so, Intel Mac owners should open the "Network Utility" application (found in the Applications > Utilities folder), choose "Network Interface (en1)" under the "Info" tab, and then inspect the information provided under "Model: Wireless Network Adapter." If it says "(802.11a/b/g/n)," the Mac already has the 802.11n enabler installed. If it says (802.11a/b/g), the Mac does not have the 802.11n enabler installed.

Apple, which originally intended to charge $4.99 for the software enabler, has come under immense criticism from both customers and the media for imposing any such fee. In a statement to CNet News, Apple spokesperson Lynn Fox said the company was required under generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to charge customers for the software upgrade.

"The nominal distribution fee for the 802.11n software is required in order for Apple to comply with generally accepted accounting principles for revenue recognition, which generally require that we charge for significant feature enhancements, such as 802.11n, when added to previously purchased products," she said.

However, several prominent accounting later blasted Apple's reasoning, claiming that GAAP does not require that companies charge for retroactive product enhancements but rather provides a set of guidelines on how the related accounting for such updates should be recorded.

"GAAP doesn't require you to charge squat," Lynn Turner, a former chief accountant of the Securities and Exchange Commission, told the Wall Street Journal. "You charge whatever you want. GAAP doesn't even remotely address whether or not you charge for a significant functionality change. GAAP establishes what the proper accounting is, based on what you did or didn't charge for it."

Apple has since remained mum on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    So some laptops already have it enabled? This is BS. I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz a week ago today and it didn't have it enabled, so this begs the question which ones were already enabled?
  • Reply 2 of 70
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

So some laptops already have it enabled? This is BS. I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz a week ago today and it didn't have it enabled, so this begs the question which ones were already enabled?

Likely those built following Apple's initial disclosure a couple of weeks ago. Your model was likely built prior and sitting in the channel until you purchased it. You may try giving Apple Care a call.

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 70
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Likely those built following Apple's initial disclosure a couple of weeks ago. Your model was likely built prior and sitting in the channel until you purchased it. You may try giving Apple Care a call.

Best,

K

Or, if you're not in middle school or high school then $2 shouldn't be that big of a deal.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Or, if you're not in middle school or high school then $2 shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I understand that and I already went ahead and downloaded it because my time on the phone with them is worth more then $2, I was just wondering why a 1 week old would not already include this update, since some apparently are.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's nice that AI is finally quoting the article I quoted here a week ago.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Dumb question, but it has already been decided that absolutely none of the Core Duo MBPs have the Draft N in it right? I bought it a while ago and I'm not yet financially able to get a new one yet (Stupid college ) Is there some other way to test if you can enable it?
  • Reply 7 of 70
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"GAAP doesn't require you to charge squat," Lynn Turner, a former chief accountant of the Securities and Exchange Commission, told the Wall Street Journal. "You charge whatever you want. GAAP doesn't even remotely address whether or not you charge for a significant functionality change. GAAP establishes what the proper accounting is, based on what you did or didn't charge for it."

While that statement is true in it's own vacuum, the accounting rules force penalties to income if you don't charge. What public company wants to readjust past earnings because they ship a software upgrade? Let alone try to track this stuff across quarter boundaries?

[Edit: Now on another look, what the heck is Lynn Turner and everyone else riled up about? Apple said it was the Sarbanes-Oxley Act that forveed the charge, not Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Completely different subjects? No?]
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Not to mention the fact that at the moment Apple is having a bit of trouble regarding their finances right now -- this is just a CYA move, plain and simple.
  • Reply 9 of 70
    If you, like me, were hoping that the N-abler would fix the ongoing problem of poor WiFi signal strength, and ultra-low throughput....

Then forget it.

It makes no difference.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

While that statement is true in it's own vacuum, the accounting rules force penalties to income if you don't charge. What public company wants to readjust past earnings because they ship a software upgrade? Let alone try to track this stuff across quarter boundaries?

I completely agree. It does not state the price of the 'improvement', but it does say you have choices to when and how the income is reported. You 1) charge for the improvement in the quarter that it is delivered, 2) defer all revenue from the product to be upgraded to the quarter that the imiprovement is delivered.

If apple were to give this away free to ALL MBP owners, ALL of the sales EVERY MBP would have to be deferred on the books untill the Quarter that the 'improvement' is delivered. This would have tanked apple's stock at the end of Q4 and been more costly to the stock owners as well as the company in general than 'charging $2 for the improvement'.

It is time that all of the complainers get over it.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Well, I knew it. It was only a matter of time. Unbelievably people are complaining about unlocking a previously unknown and not paid for feature, thereby giving you a significant upgrade to your computer - for only $2!

Not many companies will do that.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    I've downloaded the Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler and then tried to install it. I get this message:

"You cannot install Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

This is my computer:

Machine NametMac

Machine ModeltMacBookPro2,1

Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speedt2.33 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cache (per processor)t4 MB

Memoryt2 GB

Bus Speedt667 MHz

Boot ROM VersiontMBP21.00A5.B01

SMC Versiont1.14f5

Any help?
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Look, the reason this is happening is that there were/are no final industry standards for Wireless-N. Companies began releasing products and drivers with regressions and backwards compatibility issues with existing networks, which only creates more problems for users. It is expensive to keep rewriting drivers and retesting every time something changes when there are no standards. If you want prerelease software that everyone has to pay for, YOU pay for it.

Apple was doing customers (and investors!!!) a favor by waiting until now.

IF I worked for Apple I would think that the people complaining were being ungrateful. If all you want to buy from Apple is an empty box filled with used pinball machine parts then go buy a DELL and maybe you will like that better.

Seriuosly, the company that puts technology into the hands of people that dont know what it is and dont apprciate it or actually use it for anything (because they want to take it for granted) isn't Apple, its DELL. If you think new technology that integrates, and is easy to use, and doesnt couse you stress is a right instead of a priveledge, then you would be better of buying a Dell and learning the hard way that the real world doesn't work that way.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

That's not quite true.

Apple will receive favorable tax accounting IF they charge this fee.

But, IF they don't, there are no penalties involved over normal accounting practices.

By charging this fee, they are actually receiving a tax bonus.

That's very different.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irasiegel View Post

I've downloaded the Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler and then tried to install it. I get this message:

"You cannot install Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

Any help?

Make sure you have all the latest System and Airport software updates.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

I completely agree. It does not state the price of the 'improvement', but it does say you have choices to when and how the income is reported. You 1) charge for the improvement in the quarter that it is delivered, 2) defer all revenue from the product to be upgraded to the quarter that the imiprovement is delivered.

If apple were to give this away free to ALL MBP owners, ALL of the sales EVERY MBP would have to be deferred on the books untill the Quarter that the 'improvement' is delivered. This would have tanked apple's stock at the end of Q4 and been more costly to the stock owners as well as the company in general than 'charging $2 for the improvement'.

It is time that all of the complainers get over it.

Stop promulgating this nonsense. This has already been shown to be untrue.

Read the articles in the WSJ and the NYTimes that came out weeks ago. The tax authorities have already debunked this claptrap.
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irasiegel View Post

This is my computer:

Machine NametMac

Machine ModeltMacBookPro2,1

Processor NametIntel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speedt2.33 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cache (per processor)t4 MB

Memoryt2 GB

Bus Speedt667 MHz

Boot ROM VersiontMBP21.00A5.B01

SMC Versiont1.14f5

Any help?

Call Apple. That's the best way.

Thanks to Vinney, I withdraw my comment.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Make sure you have all the latest System and Airport software updates.

Thanks, Vinney. Installing this:
    AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001

This update is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and provides compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks.

01/25/2007
    before installing the enabler did the trick.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Stop promulgating this nonsense. This has already been shown to be untrue.

Read the articles in the WSJ and the NYTimes that came out weeks ago. The tax authorities have already debunked this claptrap.

Those 'tax athorities' were misleading people like you. They were brutally honest, but broke the honesty by not providing the proper proceedures and choices. You should learn to read the primary sources of the tax laws and not rely on reporters who have an agenda to promote.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

Those 'tax athorities' were misleading people like you. They were brutally honest, but broke the honesty by not providing the proper proceedures and choices. You should learn to read the primary sources of the tax laws and not rely on reporters who have an agenda to promote.

You obviously haven't read the articles in question, or you wouldn't be making the statement that those (reporters) have an agenda, so we can disregard the writing, so your comments about them are worthless. If you had, you would have read the statements from those who wrote those laws, and rules. Their comments are most relevant. No one else is dismissing them as you are, so apparently you haven't read them in context.

The same conclusions have also been reached by other tax authorities in academia..

One doesn't have to read the actual statutes when all of those who are qualified agree in their conclusions.

You seem to be taking Apple at their word. Good luck with that.