My Mac spits out music CD

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all, I just bought a Norah jones CD and stuck it in the G5 to import it into iTunes. But the mac just spits it right back out. Anyone know what might be going on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It is telling you something about your taste in music.

J/K. Check for dust and scratches and try again. If OS X can't read the disk it ejects it.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Kind of lost in the shuffle around Sony/BMG's copy protection-root kit debacle last year was the announcement by EMI (=Bluenote=Norah Jones) that they, too, were going with DRMed CDs.

And they did. And your Norah Jones CD is infected. A little story here.

If I were you I'd take the CD back to where you bought it and demand a DRM free replacement or you money back.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Oh, and odds are the fact that your CD is just getting spit out means you have "import when CD is inserted" toggled in you iTunes preferences. If you change that to "show song" you should be able to at least play your CD on your computer, but no copying.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    zeeplezeeple Posts: 31member
    Actually, I have "Show Songs" selected, not import. Is it possible to actually disable the launching of iTunes altogether when a cd is inserted?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zeeple

Actually, I have "Show Songs" selected, not import. Is it possible to actually disable the launching of iTunes altogether when a cd is inserted?

I figured out how to prevent iTunes from launching. Here's is the odd thing:

I inserted it into the powerbook, and everything work as expected. iTunes launched and the CD started inporting... Perhaps there is a problem with my combo drive...

The pBook is 10.3 with an older version of iTunes though, which is the only other diff I can think of. I hope Apple didn't cripple more recent versions of iTunes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zeeple

I inserted it into the powerbook, and everything work as expected. iTunes launched and the CD started inporting... Perhaps there is a problem with my combo drive...

Uh, that's called a feature.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Right, well, I am not sure if the problem is with the CD at all at this point. I have two macs. A G5, running 10.4.2, updated iTunes, etc. I also have a PowerBook running 10.3.9, with whatever version of iTunes that comes with it.

pBook = everything works. iTunes autolaunches and starts importing the songs. This is expected behaviour. This is what someone who goes out and buys a CD should reasonably expect.

G5 = nothing works. Mac spits out the CD regardless. even with iTunes not set to autolaunch, it is still spit out. Other CD's, however, seem to work in the G5, and iTunes (when set to do so) autolaunches and auto imports the songs as expected.

This is still quite a mystery.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Very interesting. I recently also bought a copy-protected EMI CD (may be different, I'm the UK), "Le Fil" by Camille, which would only work with it's own rediculous player on my new PC. On my 12" Powerbook (1.33Ghz, Superdrive, 10.3), it imported fine into Apple Lossless - God Bless Apple!

Does this mean that a newer Mac will just refuse to play a CD with the same Copy protection?

By the way, if you are really annoyed by this, there probably is a loophole that you can use to get your money back. Either the pricing label or receipt will describe the disc as a CD. It isn't. If you look at the manufacturers packaging, it will not say anywhere that it is a CD, because it does not comply with the specification due to that lovely copy protection goodness. I'm sure that there is a trades description infringement in there somewhere! You can then buy the music from iTunes, or whatever...

David
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Well now I'm really curious about this. Does anyone know if recent iterations of Apple's OS/hardware are explicitly responding to DRMed CDs, where before they didn't? By "responding" I mean doing what the DRM wants and refusing to play.

Anyone else have a known DRMed CD and different version to try it on?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dp
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    My old iMac G3/350 used to do the same thing. I would be in the middle of listenin to a CD when it would just spit it out, mid-song. It turned out the (slot loading) drive was shot. I replaced it and didn't have any further problems with the optical drive.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    It appears the new Shins album, Wincing the Night Away may be drm'd as well but Im not sure. At home on my PowerBook I was able to rip it fine. At work, on my iMac G5, it just gets spit out. Weird.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

It appears the new Shins album, Wincing the Night Away may be drm'd as well but Im not sure. At home on my PowerBook I was able to rip it fine. At work, on my iMac G5, it just gets spit out. Weird.

I have this problem with the same Shins album, which I ordered from Amazon. My MBP just spits it right back out. It plays in the car CD player fine. How do I fix this?