is .Mac worth it

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When i buy my first mac sometime this year or early next should i get .Mac. I dont do much website making but i have windows and no clue. apple says there are benafits to it. please list why i should get it. i mean at full price its only like $200 or less so its not that big of a deal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

When i buy my first mac sometime this year or early next should i get .Mac. I dont do much website making but i have windows and no clue. apple says there are benafits to it. please list why i should get it. i mean at full price its only like $200 or less so its not that big of a deal.

No it's not worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

No it's not worth it.

I stopped using .mac as my primary mail, and when I got seperated I really considered not renewing it. My ex was using an e-mail only account tied to the full .mac service. She changed her e-mail, but I opted to keep the .mac. One reason is the iCal functionality. I love iCal and I use it everyday. I can sync to my motorola phone and to the web, so I can look it up while I'm at work on my windows laptop.

I don't use backup but of course it's fully enabled with .mac. I do sometimes use iDisk. I don't know, for what it costs I think it's worth it to me. I think it will on ly get more valuable as the iphone comes to market.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Nope. I used it for one year. Just to sync my calendar. Save the money :-)
  • Reply 4 of 46
    i've used it for a year and basically like it. I've created a couple of websites (one work, one personal) that I never would have been able to do otherwise, or at least not that would have looked as nice. I like being able to back up ical, addy book, etc. and I use it to sync between my imac and macbook. it's not for everyone, though. I'm hoping they'll add more functionality to it soon, because it is a bit pricey for what you get IMO.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

No it's not worth it.

I am coming to the same conclusion. I have trouble with the picture hosting part, the iCal syncing part and the Backup part. There is not sufficient support for the user for my feeble mind.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    No. I have it, and it isn't worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest alternatives to .mac if you conclude it's not worth it. Gig of online storage, website hosting, email, syncing. I'm pretty sure there are free alternatives to most of these. Let's hear 'em.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest alternatives to .mac if you conclude it's not worth it. Gig of online storage, website hosting, email, syncing. I'm pretty sure there are free alternatives to most of these. Let's hear 'em.

I'm trying to gauge interest for a replacement .Mac service in another thread. Would a lower-priced service that offered a good portion of .Mac's functionality interest anyone?
  • Reply 9 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've had it since the first day it was offered back in 2000 (when it was called iTools).

I use it all the time - mostly for hosting pictures or videos that I've taken. It's also very handy for dropping files on my iDisk and picking them up at work or wherever I am.

I use it as my main email account and I've added two email addresses for my sister and my nephew to use.

Also, it's great to be able to log into any computer anywhere and have all my bookmarks and my Address Book available.

I suppose it is a bit expensive, but I can write it off on my taxes and and the convenience and functionality work for me.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

I've had it since the first day it was offered back in 2000 (when it was called iTools).

I use it all the time - mostly for hosting pictures or videos that I've taken. It's also very handy for dropping files on my iDisk and picking them up at work or wherever I am.

I use it as my main email account and I've added two email addresses for my sister and my nephew to use.

Also, it's great to be able to log into any computer anywhere and have all my bookmarks and my Address Book available.

I suppose it is a bit expensive, but I can write it off on my taxes and and the convenience and functionality work for me.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm. A better help, a manual or some online help would, perhaps get me to your side.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    First for you guys having trouble with you photo files, Eliminating blanks in file names of pictures pretty much takes care of that. I haven't had a problem with a picture for years. And, number the files so they go in the order you want them, so your file name should be something like 06_watersking_at_lake.jpg , the next file in the sequence would be 07_falling_while_skiing.jpg . I haven't had any picture problems since I adopted this method. This also prevents search engines looking for images from stealing your photos. 07_Taj_Mahal.jpg does not get recognized by searches like google images, where as Taj Mahal will definitely get recognized and possibly lifted.

As for .Mac I love it. And with the iWeb thing it's even better. Here is a link to the stuff I've done, just since the summer.

Click here

On the original .Mac I have over 40 pages 37 of them here, another 20 or so in other sites.

Click here

I don't know how you even get this done, not using .Mac. To create pages using Dreamweaver or something like that is way more time. Worth it only if you need better.

In the end, I guess it depends on what you do. I like to get back from a canoe trip, post the pictures the day after and the trip report a couple of days after that. If you check the hits on the Canoe Trips - Menu page, you'll notice a lot of other people like it that I'm on .Mac too.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I'm a dotmac user. I'm a little disappointed with it so far. For the most part, Google offers better services for free. I'm up to almost 3 GB of email storage space now, and Firefox has an extension that allows me to use it like iDisk. However, you are limited as to how big a file you can put on there which is a drawback iDisk doesnt have. Not to mention you need the proper software to on all computers you use to get access to it. Works for me though. Address book syncs too. Combine that with a few Yahoo services like Flickr and I really dont use dotmac that much.

I have a lot of hope for dotmac + iLife this year though. Things I want:

1) Way more space. 10GB min.

2) Slingbox type abilities.

3) VoIP

I know those things are out there now, but Apple could really make those things cool if they were integral.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "is .Mac worth it?"

& yes, I am still a member
  • Reply 14 of 46
    I consider .Mac both good and over priced for what you get. The most glaring problem is the limited storage. With HD prices going down on a continual basis we should see a dramatic increase in storage that will allow us to use it as a primary backup. Doubt if it will happen, though, as Apple seems to treat .Mac as a lost step child.

On the good side it has been there with the features when I have needed them. I'll stick with it and hope they put someone in charge that is focused on making it significantly better.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Had it for two years and only had it because I couldn't change my e-mail quickly. It is absolutely, in my experience, a waste of money. I used backup, .Mac syncing, and iWeb quite often but I still think that .Mac was about $100 a year too much. Apple needs to offer a ".Mac lite" or something, that enables syncing (considering all the programs that integrate it nowadays), but the e-mail is crap compared to better, free or cheaper alternatives, and iWeb can be used WITHOUT .Mac.

Ugh. Still can't believe I paid for that garbage.

And DON'T even get me started on iDisk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 46
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    For me, dot mac is only marginally worth it.

I don't use the e.mail, but I do like the idisk storage space for hosting images or moving files between home and work. It's really slow, though.

What makes dot mac for me worth it is synching contacts, calendar entries and bookmarks between several macs. As far as I'm concerned, dot mac could just be called dot synch.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    NO! It's not worth it.

You can get Gmail for free!, plus
    • Blogger: Share your life online with a blog -- it's fast, easy, and free

• Calendar: Organize your schedule and share events with friends

• Docs & Spreadsheets: Create and share your projects online and access them from anywhere. (apple hasen't had a spreadsheet program since the OS 9 days.)

• Gmail: Fast, searchable email with less spam (Works better than .mac)

• Picasa: Find, edit and share your photos

• Google Talk: IM and call your friends through your computer. (works great in Friefox, iChat, Camino and Adium)

• Google Earth: Explore the world from your Mac

• SketchUp: Create 3D models for Google Earth

• Personalized Homepage: anything a widgit can do...

• Orkut: Online community (text me if you need an invitation )

• Checkout: Complete online purchases more quickly and securely (like paypal but better)

• Froogle shopping lists: Shop for items to buy online and at local stores

• Personalized News: Search thousands of news stories (now with archive search, New!)

• Book Search: Search the full text of books (this is really Brilliant!)

• Google Video: now with the power of youTube!

• Google Language Tools: Text or page translation, (I use this often)

• Google Toolbar: for Firefox, Briliant!

• and more with more coming...

I have loved Apple computers and the Mac OS from the begining but .mac is a waste of a good Ben Franklin.

If ya need an invitation drop me a line.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

NO! It's not worth it.

You can get Gmail for free!, plus
    • Blogger: Share your life online with a blog -- it's fast, easy, and free

• Calendar: Organize your schedule and share events with friends

• Docs & Spreadsheets: Create and share your projects online and access them from anywhere. (apple hasen't had a spreadsheet program since the OS 9 days.)

• Gmail: Fast, searchable email with less spam (Works better than .mac)

• Picasa: Find, edit and share your photos

• Google Talk: IM and call your friends through your computer. (works great in Friefox, iChat, Camino and Adium)

• Google Earth: Explore the world from your Mac

• SketchUp: Create 3D models for Google Earth

• Personalized Homepage: anything a widgit can do...

• Orkut: Online community (text me if you need an invitation )

• Checkout: Complete online purchases more quickly and securely (like paypal but better)

• Froogle shopping lists: Shop for items to buy online and at local stores

• Personalized News: Search thousands of news stories (now with archive search, New!)

• Book Search: Search the full text of books (this is really Brilliant!)

• Google Video: now with the power of youTube!

• Google Language Tools: Text or page translation, (I use this often)

• Google Toolbar: for Firefox, Briliant!

• and more with more coming...

I have loved Apple computers and the Mac OS from the begining but .mac is a waste of a good Ben Franklin.

If ya need an invitation drop me a line.

I am with you 100% except for one thing----Picasa is only available on Windows. And, for we Mac devotees, that doesn't work, right?
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Well.

If you don't know too much about websites and how to upload them, or buying domains and servers or whatnot. The iWeb + .Mac is really good for you. Basically, if you want to have a family website or something nice like that.

iWeb + .Mac is the only reason i'm renewing...well, i mean, iWeb 2 + .Mac(hopefully updated).

A man can dream.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Flagstaff434: Picasa is also available for Linux. Mac users have iPhoto and Google supports that with an export plugin for Picasa webalbums.