problems with connecting to the internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

I am a complete mac newbee so I need some help please!

I have an old imac G3 (white coloured slot cd loading) which I have just put 1GB or ram into and I am now trying to get it connected to my wireless router. I bought an original airport card and fitted into the computer using an adapter.

The airport card seems to work as it is giving a strong signal and recognises the wireless connection but I cannot connect to the internet. It does work using a firewire connection...

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and what i should be checking?

Thanks

Joerubes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Post your Network settings.

What is this adapter you used? A USB adapter?

Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I have a similar problem, but mainly to do with the "Airport Update From Hell" (which makes me feel compelled to mention some joke having to do with Hell, Flights, and Airports, but I'll let it slide)

Ever since that Airport Update (I pretty much say yes to any update Software Update delivers) I've been having trouble getting a connection through my Airport Extreme. If I do get it working, but close my Macbook's lid, or turn it off, or restart, I'll lose my connection again, and any attempt to reconnect will be in vain unless I log onto my PC, enable SSID and turn off WEP, connect, and then reverse what I did (for security) before.

I realize I'm going to have to wait for Apple to fix it themselves, but any idea on how to get a connection without stealing the Cable from my Airport Express and plugging it into my Mac?

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Post your Network settings.

What is this adapter you used? A USB adapter?

Moving to Genius Bar.

The adapter is an internal one that allows me to use the airport card in the imac - the card fits into the adapter card and the card slots into the free slot above the memory.

The network settings are as follows:

TCP/Ip settings - DHCP - ip address is self assigned

Airport : log on to specific network (username and password is supplied)

Is there anything else you need?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Self-assigned, meaning starting with 169?

If so, then it isn't getting a DHCP IP address from the router.

Is the router set to distribute IP addresses to wireless clients?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Self-assigned, meaning starting with 169?

If so, then it isn't getting a DHCP IP address from the router.

Is the router set to distribute IP addresses to wireless clients?

Yes it is starting with 169

How do i check whether the router is set to distribute IP addresses to wireless clients?

It is a Belkin G wireless router and I have a PC already connected. The imac, as I said, works ok with an ethernet cable.

Here's a screen shot from the wireless control panel on the PC (if it helps!)

• Reply 6 of 7
    Sorry to Bump this but I am still not connected!

Can anyone help me please!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    OK your router is 192.168.2.1

Set that as the gateway in Network on the Mac.

Set 255.255.255.0 as the mask

Set it to DHCP

Make sure the router is set to distribute IP addresses to wireless clients. I don't know what the Belkin setup screen looks like but there should be a section dealing with the wireless part. And it should say distribute IPs or serve as DHCP server or something like that.