Apple's iPod shuffle now available in five colors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Great! The most wearable music player ever finally got fashionable! I want a blue, green and pink one!!

It is a shame they announced the iPhone instead of introducing the widescreen iPod on MacWorld. Imagine, an iPod family like;

1- Coulourful shuffles with clip!

2- Colourfull nanos with clickwheel!

3- A black and white iPod with music to touch! (And no black chin)

It doesn't make sense to wait with the touch music interface until the iPhone is gonna be released as we Europeans will have to wait till next year :s Not mentioning Asia ?

The biggest feature Apple was touting with the iPhone was its new "multi-touch" interface. They want the phone to act as the test model before unleashing it on the iPod masses, which at this time is a much more significant market. Plus, if they were to intro an iPod with the exact same touch interface before the iPhone actually ships, the buzz on the iPhone would die down. So I wouldn't expect a true 6g iPod until, at the earliest, after the iPhone ships between now and june.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    I think the best part of this update is not the colors, it's the fact that these now come with the new headphones.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Cd players have had the shuffle feature looooong before the iPod. And no one was "WOW'ed" by this feature.

We're not talking about cd players. That's very different.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Red one is my fave, oh wait?
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm digging the orange.

yes. lookin good!
  • Reply 26 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We're not talking about cd players. That's very different.

Seriously, are you really, really saying that you think that having a shuffle mode is a "pioneering" feature? CD players was just an example. mp3 players existed before the iPod and they all had shuffle modes. There were also a few early players that didn't have screens.

I'm aghast that you can think having a shuffle switch on a digital audio player could possibly be considered "pioneering".
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Seriously, are you really, really saying that you think that having a shuffle mode is a "pioneering" feature? CD players was just an example. mp3 players existed before the iPod and they all had shuffle modes. There were also a few early players that didn't have screens.

I'm aghast that you can think having a shuffle switch on a digital audio player could possibly be considered "pioneering".

When no other digital player relied on a "shuffle" feature the way this one does, then, yes, it is a pioneering feature.

You might have forgotten how the Shuffle was derided for this very function, relying on it, rather than using some minimal screen to allow people to see what they were doing.

Again, cd players are a totally different beast. none of them can hold more than one cd at a time, for portable units.

Shuffle play on cd players, including those having five disks, were an innovation when they came out, but were shown to not be a popular feature, and were easily bypassed, and straight-through album play reinstated, or individual song choice selection managed, not so here.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Maybe it's just because I've rarely used "shuffle", ever since I bought my first Teac CD player back in 1988.

Wow, you're using technology from 1988... yikes!
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm digging the orange.

Same here...
  • Reply 30 of 61
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

I think the best part of this update is not the colors, it's the fact that these now come with the new headphones.

that was what i notice as well
  • Reply 31 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Is the Shuffle really a hit with consumers?

Apple said they sold 10 million of the first generation "pregnancy tester" version. So I'd call it a hit, it's a very good volume to move for consumer electronics.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Yey! Good move Apple!

I might even buy one myself while I'm waiting for the mythical 'true video ipod'!

Not so mythical... seems pretty obvious that Apple will offer an 'iPhone without the phone' as the true video iPod.

The real questions are... WHEN???... and will the price be ridiculous (like $449 or something)?

• Reply 33 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Not so mythical... seems pretty obvious that Apple will offer an 'iPhone without the phone' as the true video iPod.

The real questions are... WHEN???... and will the price be ridiculous (like $449 or something)?

Drop the phone hardware and substitute the 80GB or 100GB hard drive and that might be a decent price. I wouldn't know though, I'm sure there would be buyers, the question is how many.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I was just thinking something similar... get several and color-code your collection.

- pink for love songs (happy valentine's day)

- orange for good driving songs (I am the one and only...)

- green for backyard fun songs

- blue for the blues

- silver for evening music

I will personsally break the legs of anyone who does ths.

But I do kind of like the orange one too.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I will personsally break the legs of anyone who does ths.

It's amazing how much this quote and your signature say about you.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I vote for orange as well. Using this thread as an informal poll, it looks like orange might be a big hit in Shuffle land. Hope it is, that might motivate Apple to offer a Nano in the same color, which I for one would dig.

As far as "pioneering shuffle", I'll go with Mel. Apple took a liability (no screen) and turned it into a selling point. I mean, it's the name of the thing. Combine that with the ability to structure playlists as the source of the randomness and you get something pretty unique, if not exactly pioneering. At least from a marketing perspective.

Note that having pre-sold the idea that no display is OK, Apple was free to make the current shuffle as small as it is.

And guess what? Apple was absolutely right. Even though they took a lot of flack at the time for "pretending" that shuffle was cool just to justify cheaping out on a display, it turns out the bone simplicity of the Shuffle is exactly what a lot of people want.

With the low price point and now colors just look for the Shuffle to keep getting more popular.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I would call removing most of the typical features of the (then current) digital music players as "pioneering". When every company was adding features in a vain attempt to trump Apple's iPod hold, Apple went and made a device so simplistic that it only had two modes: to shuffle and not to shuffle.

It's obvious that Melgross isn't saying that the shuffling technology is pioneering--we obviously know it's existed in CEs for at least 2 decades--but to envision a scant device with only an On switch and Shuffle mode is pioneering.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Drop the phone hardware and substitute the 80GB or 100GB hard drive and that might be a decent price. I wouldn't know though, I'm sure there would be buyers, the question is how many.

It would depend on which features Apple would drop, and which they would keep, or enhance.

Since they haven't enabled a feature to share songs as MS did, would they then keep WiFi? Would they enable a feature such as that?

What about Bluetooth? What purpose would that serve in an iPod, if it also doesn't allow sharing?

Would WiFi allow downloading directly from iTunes? It doesn't now. Is that only because of Cingular?

How much software would come with it? would it have OS X onboard, or a simpler iPod OS?.

A lot of questions here.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday announced that it's most wearable digital music player is now available in five vibrant colors: blue, pink, green, orange and the original silver.

It seems to me the most notable improvement is that, finally, Apple is shipping the Newer designed earbuds with the Shuffle.

My almost-new silver Shuffle (2nd Gen) from December 2006 came with the same old bud-on-a-stick that Apple has been using for several years. Even though the newer curved-swoosh style earbuds had been shipping with the full size nanos and ipods for a big part of 2006.

So I am thinking that colors are the eye-candy, while the inclusion of the newer earbud shape --and slight sound fidelity improvement with it-- is the real thing in this 'upgrade'.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Yes, to both addabox, and solipsism.

That's exactly what I'm saying, maybe not as clearly as I should have.