Vista dawns, world yawns

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Is Cringely working for AI now and modifying old headlines?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...ringely_1.html
  • Reply 22 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 23 of 116
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I've been using Vista for a while now since their first beta release and currently have had ther RTM build on my laptop here for over a month. Let's just say, Mac OS X runs circles around it. Seriously, this OS--Vista--is nothing to write home about. It simply feels like XP with some cosmetic changes.

Hmm, and let's see, how many features can they copy off of Apple...

1) Windows Sidebar - Can anyone say widgets? But no, Microsoft has to appear all original and call them "gadgets." Worst of all, you can't hide them, they just remain on your desktop taking up space. Already have these shut down, because honestly I don't want to see them when I'm not using or referencing them.

2) Switch Between Windows - Expose copied poorly, and in a rolodex fashion, kinda lame too when you can't really see all the windows at once, and you have to scroll through them all,...might as well click through all the windows in the taskbar.

3) Start Search - yeah, yeah, Spotlight Xeroxed, nothing more to see here.

4) Window Preview - when you minimize your window, and hover your mouse over the minimized portion in the taskbar, you see a miniaturized showing of what the window holds...even shows playing videos...wonder where they got this one? Mac OS X perhaps?

5) Translucent windows - yep copied too.

6) Animated minimizing - yep this one too.

7) User Folder Structure - yep, taken right out of Apple's playbook almost to the tee. Lost the "My" moniker before every folder name (thank God) and give you a home folder named after your user name--with Documents, Movies, Music, Videos, etc. (and even lost the "Shared" moniker for public folders for a Mac used term,..."Public."

8 ) Contacts - Same as Address Book in the Mac now,...centralized use for different apps, etc. Yet another shameless me too feature.

For those who've used Vista so far, have I forgotten any rip offs from the Mac OS? If so, please feel free to add on to my list. Wow, I guess Apple's use of banners at past MacWorld Expos with "Redmond Start your Photocopiers" was taken to heart by Microsoft heh?

And then Microsoft has the audacity to charge consumers a crap load of money for their OS that can't even play plain ol DVDs still! That is, unless you pay the full $399 price for the Ultimate version or pay for third party software that can handle the task. Talk about takin it up the tail pipe. C'mon, DVD is old technology, and it should be standard across the board.

Oh well, I'll end my rant here. Just wanted to share some pertinent info regarding Microsofts's lackluster OS.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Hmm - from this review http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...echnology/home

"But Aero is gorgeous, at least to veteran Windows users. Mac users will be annoyed, and rightly so, because many of Aero's features have long been a part of Mac OS X, and they will once again say that Microsoft is simply copying Apple. And Linux fans will scoff too, mainly because it's part of the Linux culture to disdain any form of eye candy; a lot of Penguinistas still haven't forgiven Novell for incorporating sexy features into its latest version of SUSE.

As an operating system, Vista will operate but get cranky with machines offering 1 gigabyte of RAM; it requires at least 2 GB to give you that new-product feeling. Oddly, however, Vista carries over an annoying limitation from XP — it recognizes only 3.325 GB of RAM; since memory is installed two identical sticks at a time, it's impossible to buy 3.325 GB of RAM without overshooting and buying 4GB."

3.325 GB !

fuck me drunk - you gotta be freak'n joking, Bill !

Where's your head at ? You paid some clowns to rewrite your OS and they give you that limitation. Madness .... lol
  • Reply 25 of 116
    While shopping for a cable at Fry's today I wandered over to the Vista display and engaged one of the sales guys in conversation. I asked how many had sold and he said four copies that he knew of (this was at 10:30 AM, just a few hours after opening). He told me about all the free goodies being given away if you buy Vista or a new PC with Vista installed - things like a web cam, a $50 printer, a USB flash drive - pretty much $150 worth. But get this - it's all in the form of mail-in rebates! And you still have to pay the 8.75% sales tax. I suggested that they throw in a Zune to sweeten the pot and he giggled for a moment. Said something like management had already thought of it but decided not to.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    Using firefox I went over and posted this at the comment section of the switch over to Vista from Mac:

"I've used Windows XP on my iMAC just in case I need it. I've used the Win OS off and on the last 10 years and I don't know how much time the Windows users have but I'd prefer to see daylight on occasion.

I'd like to know how many of the Mac users have introduced have shown Mac OS X to other Windows users and somehow influenced them enough to cause a switch? I lost count at 7. I even sold an old Powerbook G4 to a friend because of the program Handbrake (not ported to Win OS). I bought a newer Powerbook.

Sorry PC guys but you are losing ground. Maybe not a complete switch but I'd consider a Mac User running a copy of Win XP or Vista a switcher (no doubt using OS X too).

As a Army guy I will tell you this. Apple controls it's hardware for a reason. That 12 in. powerbook I took to Iraq survived dust storms while others PC laptops (opened vents) swallowed sand and killed both the optical and hard drives. When I brought it home the local Apple Store sent it in to be cleaned up (told them to keep any sand) and gave it back to me for free. Later I took the same laptop the Afghanistan then sold it to the friend I spoke about in the previous paragraph. Not just the quality of the OS that make's it a winner.

Where are you iPod users at? 75% of the market as I recall, unless it has changed. If you use iTunes on a Win. OS then you have experienced only one of many intuitive programs from Apple (free of course).

Apple support has been great to me as well. My newer power book had an optical drive problem just outside warranty and they sent it in and did $900 worth of repairs for free. My ipod had a hiccup and took it to the Genius Bar. The guy looked at it and in 2 mins. said, "I have to give you a new iPod, do you need any music transferred?" I can't remember if I've ever used phone support.

For you guys who call us Mac users girly men and such come talk to me when you've had to shoot at someone in combat.

I will install Vista on my iMac when the price drops or they have worked out the bugs a little I curiously keep an open mind."
  • Reply 27 of 116
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    The mind boggles, pay a truck load of money on an OS ( and the hardware to upgrade your existing system) all this to support Aero, a fancy UI to find a window thats already open. I just don't get it!

Goodness you can run Tiger on 5 year old iMac (admitly with a bit more memory, but heck it works!)

I mean OSX has its faults, as I've migrated users from Windows to Mac. Like no templates in Mail, Migrating from Windows Outlook Express to Mac Mail. Automounting of SMB shares, thumbnails in folders. I know there is hacks and software to provide these things. It would be nice if Apple made the transition from Windows to Mac world a little more smoother.

But on the whole I've yet to see a convert give up their new found OS X and return back to fold once they've broke free Microdollar :-)
  • Reply 28 of 116
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    hahahaha!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bill-gate...s-x-232750.php

glad someone finally addressed this on national television...
  • Reply 29 of 116
    In Sydney, Harvey Norman at the midnight launch of Vista held a raffle to see who would win the chance to buy the first copy of Vista Ultimate signed by the big G himself. Thats right not get the OS for free but buy it. Sad
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Hmm - from this review http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...echnology/home

As an operating system, Vista will operate but get cranky with machines offering 1 gigabyte of RAM; it requires at least 2 GB to give you that new-product feeling. Oddly, however, Vista carries over an annoying limitation from XP ? it recognizes only 3.325 GB of RAM; since memory is installed two identical sticks at a time, it's impossible to buy 3.325 GB of RAM without overshooting and buying 4GB."

3.325 GB !

fuck me drunk - you gotta be freak'n joking, Bill !

Where's your head at ? You paid some clowns to rewrite your OS and they give you that limitation. Madness .... lol

The writer doesn't seem to understand that the 3.325GB limit is an Intel limit, not a Windows one. The iMac has the same stupid limit. Apple advertises the maximum RAM as 3GB. The machines can all hold 4GB and the memory controller can see 4GB, but some of the address space is used for other purposes.

Can't possibly see myself ever having a licensed copy of Vista. I'll use it at work if I'm forced to, but Windows 2000 still serves me fine when I need to run a Windows app at home. In the future when I move to an Intel Mac a product like Crossover should allow me to run Windows apps without having to pay a Microsoft tax.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Windows Vista Ultimate = $400 + Security software = Priceless.

Mac OS X (Ultimate) = $129

Will all Windows Vista Features work on my 3 year old machine = Most likely not.

Will all Mac OS X Features work on my 3 year old machine = Yes.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Windows Vista comfortably = No.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Mac OS X comfortably = What drivers? :P

Will Windows Vista's Features make OS X look dated = No.

Will Mac OS X.5 Leopard's Features make Windows Vista look dated = Most likely yes.

Will the new look of Windows Vista make it easiers to use then its predecessor = In practice the opposite is true.

Will the new look of OS X make it easiers to use then its predecessor = Most likely yes.

Will you switch back to Windows now = No.

Will you buy Leopard = Most likely yes.

Are you glad to be rid of Windows = Hell yes.

Are you glad to be a Mac user = Hell yes.

Was there a point to all this = Yes.

What was the point = Switch.

lmao, thanks for that!!
  • Reply 32 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The writer doesn't seem to understand that the 3.325GB limit is an Intel limit, not a Windows one. The iMac has the same stupid limit. Apple advertises the maximum RAM as 3GB. The machines can all hold 4GB and the memory controller can see 4GB, but some of the address space is used for other purposes.

Can't possibly see myself ever having a licensed copy of Vista. I'll use it at work if I'm forced to, but Windows 2000 still serves me fine when I need to run a Windows app at home. In the future when I move to an Intel Mac a product like Crossover should allow me to run Windows apps without having to pay a Microsoft tax.

True ?

Well, then shame on Intel.

I'll believe you - sorry if my post is out of order ....

Must be mobo specific, yes ?
  • Reply 33 of 116
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

True ?

Well, then shame on Intel.

I'll believe you - sorry if my post is out of order ....

Must be mobo specific, yes ?

Yes. Certain nVidia AMD64 motherboard chipsets had problems with 4gb of RAM. I am shocked about this issue with Intel mobos. The newer nVidia motherboard chipsets for Intel Core2Duo (Conroe) should have no problem with accessing full dual-channel 2x1gb 2x1gb (total 4gb) RAM. AFAIK.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The writer doesn't seem to understand that the 3.325GB limit is an Intel limit, not a Windows one. The iMac has the same stupid limit. Apple advertises the maximum RAM as 3GB. The machines can all hold 4GB and the memory controller can see 4GB, but some of the address space is used for other purposes....

I think this is an issue with Laptop Motherboards Intel chipsets.... Conroe (Core2Duo desktop) Intel motherboard chipsets can hit full 4gb as far as I have read in the PC-enthusiast overclocker mags.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (rev. 1.0) Intel P965+ ICH8R chipset says it supports up to 8GB dual-channel DDR2 RAM.
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yes. Certain nVidia AMD64 motherboard chipsets had problems with 4gb of RAM. I am shocked about this issue with Intel mobos. The newer nVidia motherboard chipsets for Intel Core2Duo (Conroe) should have no problem with accessing full dual-channel 2x1gb 2x1gb (total 4gb) RAM. AFAIK.

cheers, sunil for confirming that.

oh well, another useless post from me dumped to the useless info bin ....
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Windows Vista Ultimate = $400 + Security software = Priceless.

Mac OS X (Ultimate) = $129

Will all Windows Vista Features work on my 3 year old machine = Most likely not.

Will all Mac OS X Features work on my 3 year old machine = Yes.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Windows Vista comfortably = No.

Will I have all the drivers I need to run Mac OS X comfortably = What drivers? :P

Will Windows Vista's Features make OS X look dated = No.

Will Mac OS X.5 Leopard's Features make Windows Vista look dated = Most likely yes.

Will the new look of Windows Vista make it easiers to use then its predecessor = In practice the opposite is true.

Will the new look of OS X make it easiers to use then its predecessor = Most likely yes.

Will you switch back to Windows now = No.

Will you buy Leopard = Most likely yes.

Are you glad to be rid of Windows = Hell yes.

Are you glad to be a Mac user = Hell yes.

Was there a point to all this = Yes.

What was the point = Switch.

Other than your choice of making everything bold, I'd say don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you are spot on. I installed Vista in Parallels. Was excited for about 10 minutes. Then it started pissing me off. Wiped it. By the way, peoples, REARM-2099 hack. 'Nuff said. What sort of fucking OS serial-validation is hacked even before it is released officially (worldwide launches) ????!!! ...Screw Vista.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Quote:

cheers, sunil for confirming that.

oh well, another useless post from me dumped to the useless info bin ....

Hey, no worries. this 3GB limit makes sense for the iMac Core2Duo, MacBookPro Core2Duo - because it looks like a limitation in the Intel Merom motherboard Apple is using.

Same as 2GB limit for MacMini and MacBook Core[1]Duo, 2GB limit in the Intel Yonah motherboard Apple uses.

Clearly though in the desktop scene, as evidenced by as I mentioned overclockers and stuff, Core2Duo Desktop (Conroe) Intel chipsets look good for 4GB, and some 8GB now, apparently.... 8)
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Though I am now BackOnMac after almost 2.5 years without my own Mac, I still have WinXP2Pro on Parallels should I need to "stay in touch", or whatever. Maybe in a few months I might be back where my AMD64 2ghz nVidia6600GT rig is in which case it will be running WinXP2Pro and optimized heavily as just a game rig, no extraneous crap, all stable drivers thanks to the high quality of nVidia mobo chipset and GPU setup. AMD64 2ghz OC'ed "Venice", singlecore but should be smooth for mid-end gaming, I might plonk in a 1gb RAM chip to add to the two 512mb chips... for 2GB total.

Which reminds me - that would be sweet to run the AMD64 rig off the VGA input on the Sony 17" 1280x1024. Then, run the DVI input off the MacBook for a dualie setup.

I'll need to get the AUD approx $35 mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

If I need to get a job which deals with Windows, in Malaysia, Singapore, Australia or even the UK, I imagine casual/ part-time/ entry-level stuff will involve WinXP or otherwise Win2000. I don't really see a need for Vista learning/ usage going into the end of this year or even through to middle of 2008.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I think this is an issue with Laptop Motherboards Intel chipsets.... Conroe (Core2Duo desktop) Intel motherboard chipsets can hit full 4gb as far as I have read in the PC-enthusiast overclocker mags.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (rev. 1.0) Intel P965+ ICH8R chipset says it supports up to 8GB dual-channel DDR2 RAM.

You are right. 965 (& future) chipsets from Intel can support beyond 4GB of RAM. I think the upcoming mobile platform from Intel (Santa Rosa) will also be capable of supporting beyond 4GB.

BTW, my first post. Hi to all of you