Mute: but only in Safari.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
To anyone's knowledge, is the even possible?

More and more sites these days have random little banners, pictures, ads and whatnot that contain annoying sounds.

This would be especially nice for websites like MySpace where almost everyone has a different profile song. Super annoying when you're playing Jack Johnson quietly in iTunes and Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack" blasts through my speakers suddenly.

Has anyone heard of any features or programs that can currently do this? Maybe even something that's planned for a future version of Safari/Firefox maybe?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

To anyone's knowledge, is the even possible?

More and more sites these days have random little banners, pictures, ads and whatnot that contain annoying sounds.

This would be especially nice for websites like MySpace where almost everyone has a different profile song. Super annoying when you're playing Jack Johnson quietly in iTunes and Justin Timberlake's "SexyBack" blasts through my speakers suddenly.

Has anyone heard of any features or programs that can currently do this? Maybe even something that's planned for a future version of Safari/Firefox maybe?

Thanks

SurfRat,

Although the software is unsupported, Detour could be your answer...

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/

• Reply 2 of 4
    Looks great! Except I clicked the download link and it's broken... nothing there. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Looks great! Except I clicked the download link and it's broken... nothing there. Any other ideas?

Oops... looks like it's not only unsupported, it's been deleted! Try PthHelmet, you can treat sounds in Safari like pop-ups and block them:

http://www.culater.net/software/Pith...PithHelmet.php