Still Stubbornly Refuse To Believe In Evolution?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

There really can be no alternative explanation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6311619.stm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    Psh.

Obviously it was a civilization of children, like a cavernous lord of the flies.

Edit:

Oh wait.

The article said 12000 years ago. Well that is clearly wrong. It must be the shot...term... survivors of the Children's Crusade -- all this time we thought that their ship crashed in the Mediterranean, when really they got blown off-course and landed on an Indonesian microisland...
  • Reply 2 of 87
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Jesus made those hobbits.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Jesus made those hobbits.

^ I love that sig...

Here's another article i read on the Loom: http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2007/01...st_homo_su.php

I read somewhere that their brains were smaller than modern human brains but supposedly very complex judging from the inside of the skull. Had a high density of ridges.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

^ I love that sig...

Here's another article i read on the Loom: http://scienceblogs.com/loom/2007/01...st_homo_su.php

I read somewhere that their brains were smaller than modern human brains but supposedly very complex judging from the inside of the skull. Had a high density of ridges.

Hey, Ruffles have ridges also...

These 'hobbits' were the Mac minis of the human branch.
  • Reply 5 of 87
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I've just realised why dmz hasn't been around for a few days, he's playing the board game

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/
  • Reply 6 of 87
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Why do you care if people chose to believe in creationism and what? Why not live and let live?
  • Reply 7 of 87
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There really can be no alternative explanation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6311619.stm

Interesting. At first it was OMFG new species! (or sub-species), then it was like, no, they were just retards (well, medically/congenitally challenged).... Now it's back to OMFG OMFG ..!!
  • Reply 8 of 87
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Why do you care if people chose to believe in creationism and what? Why not live and let live?

Because the creationism people want it taught as science in American classrooms, and failing that want everyone to understand that science is fake, and will never ever stop trying to push that onto the rest of us because they are on a mission from God.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    Quote:

It isn't the belief. It is the belief that the belief constitutes science. It doesn't. It won't.
  • Reply 10 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Interesting. At first it was OMFG new species! (or sub-species), then it was like, no, they were just retards (well, medically/congenitally challenged).... Now it's back to OMFG OMFG ..!!

Thats whats great about Science. Its the best explanation of the information we currently have available. As new information comes to light, we modify and refine our best explanation, as we slowly stumble from a position of ignorance towards the truth.

This is in stark contrast to religion, which (as far as modernity goes*) starts from a position of truth and stumbles to a position of ignorance.

I doubt that this is the final word on the Hobbit. Thats great.

*in ancient times religion used to be truth, because the people understood the context of the truth it described. Gnostics, sufis, Hindu's, Buddhists, Mithraists, Orphics etc knew the truth. This skill has been long lost amongst most of us in the pathetic religions of todays Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc thinking.
  • Reply 11 of 87
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Because the creationism people want it taught as science in American classrooms, and failing that want everyone to understand that science is fake, and will never ever stop trying to push that onto the rest of us because they are on a mission from God.

Some do and some don't. I think that there is a minority of in your face creationists. You come off as a in your face evolutionist. It's not about right or wrong it's about being a single minded a-hole. Which I'm sure you don't want to be.

Live and let live.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Unless someone is advocating the capture and imprisonment of creationists, I really do not know where the "live and let live" attitude is supposed to get us.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Some do and some don't. I think that there is a minority of in your face creationists. You come off as a in your face evolutionist. It's not about right or wrong it's about being a single minded a-hole. Which I'm sure you don't want to be.

Live and let live.

Dude, did you read what he said? It about creationist forcing the school system to teach something that is NOT science in the science classroom.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Unless someone is advocating the capture and imprisonment of creationists, I really do not know where the "live and let live" attitude is supposed to get us.

yes yes, me! i'll take and imprison that fluffy stuffed bear dmz. Any takers for Frank or Cuilla, I dont think I could treat them right
  • Reply 15 of 87
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

It's not about right or wrong

That's the essence of creationism right there, and it's why some people care to take it head on rather than just letting it go. Wrong is wrong, and should be vigorously identified as such when it tries to promote itself.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Why do we keep having these threads? Are there really that many people here that don't believe in evolution? You'd think the board was loaded with fundamental, bibilically literalist Christians instead of secular liberals.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Live and let live.

Yeah. I believe the sun is powered by love. The love of the celestial fluids. I, and a small minority of like minded people, are working very hard to have our alternative theory taught in science classrooms, and to have all this self-satisfied high and mighty talk of "fusion" be clearly labeled as a theory. Has a scientist ever gone to the center of the sun and taken a sample? Can you see two atoms ram into each other? And what kind of impoverished philosophy (and fusion is very much a philosophy, no matter what the absolutists might tell you) reduces the magnificent glory of the sun, bringer of all life, to the cold workings of "subatomic physics"? Maybe you want to live in their materialist hell, but I certainly don't.

As far as the "in your face" fusion community, they like to pretend like it's a done deal, that "the overwhelming majority of physicists" support fusion theory.

But the fact is that's just the overbearing, defend the perimeter at all costs talk of a bankrupt ideology that knows it dare not allow the slightest deviance from orthodoxy, lest the entire house of cards tumble down.

There's this scientist in Australia (who's done a lot of work in neurobiology, so he's a totally for real scientist) who has found a lot of problems with the mainstream explanation for why the sun shines. Of course, the science nazis have closed ranks and shunned him. And he's not the only one: literally tens of very important scientists and internet users in fields as diverse as economics, animal husbandry, telecommunications and iconoclasm have raised the red flag regarding the fusion hoax. If you want to check it out, they all have interlinked web pages that totally support one another. It's practically a rebellion in the ranks, and long overdue.

The controversy isn't going away, no matter what so called "peer reviewed" (science speak for "free thinkers need not apply") say.

So maybe it's time to at least call a truce. If the fusion absolutists will stop their tedious insistence that they, and they alone, have a monopoly on "truth", then we will continue to attempt to change the meaning of "truth" so that it is impossible to make a rational argument of any kind, and "right and wrong" can be thrown on in the dust bin of history.

Sound fair?
  • Reply 18 of 87
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The Kansas School Board is no more impressed with you than they were with the Church of the Flying Spahetti Monster.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Anyone who believes that evolution is "just a theory," by which they mean that it's contentious in the scientific community, doesn't understand the difference between "evolution" and "natural selection." This is a good summary of the distinction between the two.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    steste Posts: 119member
    There's a whole museum full of pseudo-scientific nonsense in Glen Rose, TX:

http://www.creationevidence.org/

I must visit it one day, if I can drag my prehensile tail out of the cave.