AppleTV-Is there a converter from Component or HDMI to RCA/S-Video?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am purchasing Apple's AppleTV this week and I have a HDTV which will work fine with the HDMI or the Component Video outs but I just wish they had a RCA Video out or S-Video out for a standard TV that I wish to hook another AppleTV to.

My question, is there some type of converter that can convert either HDMI video or Component Video into S-Video or RCA Video?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    HDMI is a high-bandwidth digital connector whereas S-Video/RCA are low-bandwidth analog connections. Do the math.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

HDMI is a high-bandwidth digital connector whereas whereas S-Video/RCA are low-bandwidth analog connections. Do the math.

Which means it needs a converter. I'm interested in this as well if someone knows of one out there.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

...is there some type of converter that can convert either HDMI video or Component Video into S-Video or RCA Video?

The simple answer: Kind of, but not really. Something like this might be able to do it, but mostly you'll find that conversion built into something else like an AV receiver. I know that a number of them like my Denon AVR-2807 can do it. Quite honestly you might be better served just buying a new TV.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

The simple answer: Kind of, but not really. Something like this might be able to do it, but mostly you'll find that conversion built into something else like an AV receiver. I know that a number of them like my Denon AVR-2807 can do it. Quite honestly you might be better served just buying a new TV.

It won't work. It needs 480i. aTV puts out 480p. From the link.

Quote:

The SP-VIDEO-ADPT is a component to S-video adapter cable for InFocus LP500/530, X1, and the ScreenPlay 4800 only. It is only compatible with 480i signals.

Not for use with progressive signals.

• Reply 6 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am purchasing Apple's AppleTV this week and I have a HDTV which will work fine with the HDMI or the Component Video outs but I just wish they had a RCA Video out or S-Video out for a standard TV that I wish to hook another AppleTV to.

My question, is there some type of converter that can convert either HDMI video or Component Video into S-Video or RCA Video?

There are quite a few cheap standard def tvs out not with component, but I don't know if apple tv will work with them.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It needs a converter, not an adapter, and the TV needs to be widescreen to work, otherwise the video will look stretched tall.

I thought Apple dropped the ball on this one. I am a proponent of HD and such, but I am also realistic in the point that I don't think it makes sense to ignore the huge installed base of SD TVs, it's probably more than 10x that of HD TVs. At least you can get HD tuners that will downscale and convert to SD, but I don't think any of them will convert a component or HDMI input to SD.

And no, just because a TV has a component input does not mean that AppleTV will support it. Any 480i sets, widescreen or not, are out of luck. The tech specs are very clear that 480p is the lowest it goes.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... At least you can get HD tuners that will downscale and convert to SD, but I don't think any of them will convert a component or HDMI input to SD.

HD tuners are becoming special order items. I tried to buy one for my HDTV monitor. I discovered than none of the consumer electronics stores in the area had them in stock. One store had an old store display on the shelf, but none in stock. I ended-up buying a HDTV DVR for a lot more than I intended to pay for the tuner. Now, I am just a little bit poorer and a little bit happier.

This said, HDTV tuners receive digital RF TV signals and convert them to any of several formats--HDMI, DVI, component video, composite video, VGA, and others. However, they are not video conversion filters.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So in other words: Buy a widescreen TV with 480p capability.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    maymay Posts: 5member
    i know How to watch HD videos from Video iPod on TV.it use Xilisoft DVD to iPod Converter,i don't know wheather it's useful for you but you can think about it