Parallels

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
If i wanted to play counterstrike on my mac, ( 1.6 ) would parallel work well enough. keep in mind that the minimum system requirements for cs is 800 mhz, 1 gb hard drive, and 128 mb ram. and my mac book would have duo 2.0 ghz, with 2 gb ram and 120 gb hard drive, and windows 98 would be the operating system i would be using with parallels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    No, it wouldn't work at all as Parallels do not yet do accelerated 3D video.

But if you install Parallels over a BootCamp install you can boot into Win to game then back to OS X and use Parallels for non-3D Win stuff. Eventually Parallels says they will deliver accelerated 3D, but this is a hard problem and I'm not holding my breath despite it was originally promised for this spring.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Eventually Parallels says they will deliver accelerated 3D, but this is a hard problem and I'm not holding my breath despite it was originally promised for this spring.

I have the same opinion and I just went with bootcamp a month or so ago and it's been fine. The problem with things like Parallels is it only gets access to a fraction of your Ram and you have a lot of overhead running two systems at once. Games are best run with all the resource you can throw at them and the rebooting actually helps keep games fast because all the caches are cleared. I don't know if you want online play too but again, Bootcamp is better for this. You also don't need to think about running the lowest system requirements. Counterstrike Source runs pretty well on the GMA - come to think of it, you can run it in Crossover if you really don't want Bootcamp. You just have to register it through Steam via Parallels or a PC if it's not already registered. I played Half-Life 2 that way before I used bootcamp.

They seem to have finished their version 6:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/