Attack of the Windows Fanboiz!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bill Gates talking about Apple's ads, in this article dailytech.com:

Quote:

"And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it?s superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say?" Gates continues to express his disgust with the Apple ads: "Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it."

When I read the words "or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it?", why is it that I'm left with the impression that the world's richest man sounds like a petulant 12 y/o nerd?

You, you, lying person, you!

There are a lot of posted comments after the article, and wow... dailytech.com must be a major Windows nerd site. The Windows fanboi-ism and the virulent anti-Apple attitude, mostly coming from people who sound like they haven't, if ever, touched a Mac since using some poorly-maintained public OS 9-or-under system in a dark corner of a high school computer lab.

Apparently we're all only using Macs because we're elitist snobs duped by Apple's advertising, and/or too stupid to use a "real" computer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Wow, there are still people who talk like that?

It occurs to me that OS X's ever growing mind share (if not outright market share) is going to make it increasingly difficult for these types to run their nonsense.

It's one thing if you've never seen a Mac and someone tells you that it's a toy and there's no software and it's wildly overpriced and they're only used by latte sipping artist types and possibly homosexuals.

But if you know even a little you're going to realize that the person that tells you that has some kind of emotional problem involving computer platforms and start edging away.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Was just over at AN - more Gates stuff.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

Billy's talking tough - sheesh, talk about bending the truth.

The guy's turning into a pretzel.

<snip>

Q.You also talk about improved security in Vista.

A. Yes, although security is a [complicated concept]. You're [referring to] the fact that there have been some security updates already for Windows Vista. This is exactly the way it should work. When somebody comes to us [after discovering a vulnerability] we've got [a fix] before there is any exploit. So it's totally according to plan, and that's why we have the whole Windows Update thing. We made it way harder for guys to do exploits. The number [of violations] will be way less because we've done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn't done any of those things.

<snip>
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Has Gates even bothered to talk about Apple before this? It sounds like he's getting defensive, which is odd considering the relative market positions of the two companies.

Maybe it's all the bad press MS has been getting and Apple's run of glowing coverage just bugs him. He could afford to be generous back in the "beleaguered Apple" days.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I happen to agree with Bill Gates, he is a gay shrimp.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Has Gates even bothered to talk about Apple before this? It sounds like he's getting defensive, which is odd considering the relative market positions of the two companies.

Maybe, along with all of the mostly luke warm to bad press on Vista, there was also this weighing on Bill's mind:

Zune?s Boss Steps Down. Is the iPod Killer?Dying?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    That's an interesting article.

The thing that really jumped out at me was the statistics you see bandied about regarding MP3 market share don't include iPods sold through Apple retail.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you gotta figure Apple sells a lot of IPods that way. I wonder what that 63% of all MP3 players would look like if Apple Stores were included?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Zune looks like it's zwned.

Jeez, imagine if the uptake of new computers isn't as good as they anticipate ?

Time will tell for Vista in it's many guises.

M$ need HP and Dell and <whoeverelse> to keep selling laptops like never before just to look like they're doing the business.

Follow that stock - could turn volatile in a month or so.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Bill is gonna be crying blood from his eyes once he gets the latest Vista sales figures... Yow!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    i'm in NZ.

Christ - I just checked NZ$ pricing for Vista.

It's a fucking joke !

Retail is NZ$1000 for Ultimate - fucking arse, no-one's going to pay that !

$649 for Ultimate upgrade !

whoooboy - the torrent sites are going to be busy !

lmao ....
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

i'm in NZ.

Christ - I just checked NZ$ pricing for Vista.

It's a fucking joke !

Retail is NZ$1000 for Ultimate - fucking arse, no-one's going to pay that !

$649 for Ultimate upgrade !

whoooboy - the torrent sites are going to be busy !

lmao ....

LOL Don't even bother with a torrent mate. After a few days getting the .iso or whatever and being all excited, the let down after 1 hour of Vista usage is...... nothing short of *tragic*. Re-ARM 2099 hack by the way, if you do *ahem* stumble upon a copy of Vista.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Was just over at AN - more Gates stuff.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

Billy's talking tough - sheesh, talk about bending the truth.

The guy's turning into a pretzel.

<snip>

Q.You also talk about improved security in Vista.

A. Yes, although security is a [complicated concept]. You're [referring to] the fact that there have been some security updates already for Windows Vista. This is exactly the way it should work. When somebody comes to us [after discovering a vulnerability] we've got [a fix] before there is any exploit. So it's totally according to plan, and that's why we have the whole Windows Update thing. We made it way harder for guys to do exploits. The number [of violations] will be way less because we've done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn't done any of those things.

<snip>

It is tragic again... You can get a copy of Vista off the torrents. You can then easily (believe me, it's pretty DAMN EASY) hack the 30-day trial before you validate against a Key Management Server etc etc. Then, you hack to disable updates, then, there is also a hack for getting around WindowsGenuineValidation if you want to get something like InternetExplorer8 somewhere down the line.

Gates *is* stepping down, and Vista is his swan song. XP and Vista will dominate computing, as will the PC, for the rest of this decade. But the Mac, Apple, iPod, iPhone, and OSX, has never been more *viable* and *sustainable* then ever before. And I have XP2 and VistaBusiness ready to go in Parallels. And it will be one year at least before I need to even *think* about DirectX10 games, there's a few good titles I could get into in 2007 and 2008 with a solid nVidia7-series card, and XP2Pro tweaked for games, running games, and NOTHING ELSE !! (the AMD64 rig as I've so often cried out, is not 3000km but over 6000km away *sniff* ...I'll be back soon, and you'll meet your brother/sister, a nice MacBook. Who's better, aw, don't ask me that, I love you both equally...!!! )
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Bill Gates talking about Apple's ads, in this article dailytech.com:

.....There are a lot of posted comments after the article, and wow... dailytech.com must be a major Windows nerd site. The Windows fanboi-ism and the virulent anti-Apple attitude, mostly coming from people who sound like they haven't, if ever, touched a Mac since using some poorly-maintained public OS 9-or-under system in a dark corner of a high school computer lab.

Apparently we're all only using Macs because we're elitist snobs duped by Apple's advertising, and/or too stupid to use a "real" computer.

I don't necessarily worry about thinking I'm better than other people, but I think having a Mac again now, I'm better than I was before.

There's a growing trend on AppleInsider forums of the Apple Self-Hater
    . These are people that have got into a Mac in the past few weeks or several months, but still use PCs at work or have their rigs at home. Some tend to try and keep the peace, some use the excuse "oh, don't get me wrong, I have a Mac and I like and use OSX" to then go out and bash Apple (expensive, elitist, locked-in, kool-aid, etc, etc.) and call some of us "you Apple fanbois... yada yada yada...".
  • Reply 13 of 19
    cheers, sunil.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Re-ARM #### - whassdafuckdatis ?

One of your gameboy codez ? :-)

On a personal note - shame about Bill.

Coming across v v v defensive ...

gurgle

gurgle

gurgle

gurgle

what's that sound ?

$7 freak'n billion down the gurgler.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

cheers, sunil.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse.

Re-ARM #### - whassdafuckdatis ?

One of your gameboy codez ? :-)

Yeah bro it's 1337 haXX0r stUFF man...

Seriously though, you know one of those oldest-trick-in-the-books for defeating any sort of TimeOut in computerLand?

Well, guess what, it works for the latest and highly secure Vista.

Bloody Hell.

Anyway, it's openly in the wild so I will talk about it.

Interestingly, a Google of "re-arm 2099" shows up

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=70871

at the top

But more importantly, below that:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-explaination/

Read it. Seriously. It is fucking hilarious for the latest- and- greatest- technology the WORLD HAS EVER SEEN!!

Zune = Zwned.

Vista = Vwned.

Anyone REMEMBER Y2K???? Well, they haven't quite learned from it.

In you install Windows Vista in year 2099, you will see a very weird or useless install date instead, rendering some SPP timers useless. It’s because 32-bit systems can only store a maximum of 2^31 non-negative seconds (2,147,483,648 seconds or 68 years beginning at 1 Jan 1970, 12:00:00am GMT). The 32nd bit is to differ positive and negative numbers. This means that when the time_t variable count reaches 2147483647 (19 Jan 2038 at 3:14:07am GMT), it will wrap to or continue from -2147483648 count, which is Friday, 13 Dec 1901, 8:45:52pm GMT. However, negative time_t value (which is time before January 1, 1970) is not allowed. In such case, Windows handles that kind of entries as unknown data type, and will switch to use internal Windows timer. This will set the value to 0 which equivalent to 16 Jan 1601 12:00:00am GMT. If you set time to date before 2038 systeminfo will show the correct date.

I know how challenging it is to be a software programmer. I understand the problems Vista has had to go through. But for frack's sake for 30 years+ of computer technology, can't we at least have got the date/time system worked out? I mean it's 2007. *sigh*
  • Reply 15 of 19
    To be fair though, this is a known and documented issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time#32-bit_overflow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

32-bit overflow as related to the Year 2038 problem. Looks like Y2K is back!

At 03:14:08 UTC on January 19, 2038 (+231), a 32-bit signed integer representation of Unix time will overflow. Systems using a 32-bit signed integer Unix time_t will therefore be unable to represent that time, or any later, and will likely wrap around to 20:45:52 UTC on December 13, 1901, with integer value -231.

Programs which must handle times beyond the overflow date will need to be changed to use a 64-bit time_t, a bignum representation of Unix time, or some other means of representing points in time. This is similar to the year 2000 problem. Adapting existing programs may be as easy as re-compiling them with header files that declare time_t as a 64-bit integer. However this will create problems if and when the time_t value is passed from that program to other code that has not had the definition changed (such as the system's C shared library). Also some other programs make deep assumptions as to the nature of time_t and the source code to some software packages may have been lost by then, in which case programmers might have to reverse engineer the software to change its date behavior. Some claim that the expiration of 32-bit time_t may cause more damage than was predicted for the year 2000 problem.

Before that, see:

A Unix time number can be represented in any form capable of representing numbers. In some applications the number is simply represented textually as a string of decimal digits, raising only trivial additional issues. However, there are certain binary representations of Unix times that are of particular significance.

The standard Unix time_t (data type representing a point in time) is a signed integer data type, traditionally of 32 bits (but see below), directly encoding the Unix time number as described in the preceding section. Being integer means that it has a resolution of one second; many Unix applications therefore handle time only to that resolution. Being 32 bits (of which one bit is the sign bit) means that it covers a range of about 136 years in total. The minimum representable time is 1901-12-13T20:45:52Z, and the maximum representable time is 2038-01-19T03:14:07Z. At 2038-01-19T03:14:08Z this representation will overflow. This milestone is anticipated with a mixture of amusement and dread.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Basically , In some newer operating systems, time_t has been widened to 64 bits. In the negative direction, this goes back more than twenty times the age of the universe, and so suffices. In the positive direction, whether the 290 billion representable years is truly sufficient depends on the ultimate fate of the universe, but it is certainly adequate for most practical purposes.

There has been some controversy over whether the Unix time_t should be signed or unsigned. If unsigned, its range in the future would be doubled, postponing the 32-bit overflow. However, it would then be incapable of representing times prior to 1970....The consensus, and universal practice, is for time_t to be signed
  • Reply 17 of 19
    So there you have it. Windows Vista ships with a major overflow exploit at the get-go and Y2K38 ( Year2038 ) problem. I'd like to see Bill say that "It's totally according to plan, and that's why we have the whole Windows Update thing. We made it way harder for guys to do exploits. The number [of violations] will be way less because we've done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn't done any of those things."...

Umm, guess what Bill, if some of the exploits also include disabling Windows Update, the exploits won't be patched...!

*SIGH* What is the secret to being a billionaire?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

gurgle

gurgle

gurgle

gurgle

what's that sound ?

$7 freak'n billion down the gurgler.

Heh.

The secret of eternal happiness is Ignorance, I say..

Edit:

Funny thing is, there's just too many people out there, some possibly with too much time on their hands, one way or another either breaking or fixing Windows.

Like that Prodigy song, for those around my age.... Something like "I Got The Poison! I Got The Remedy!"... "I Got The Poison To Limit The Remedy!"...