High-quality AirPort Extreme 802.11n unboxing photos

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this week began to unleash the next-generation of Apple Wi-Fi, with the first shipments of its AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wireless Base Station making their way to select online customers and company retail stores.

If you're like us, you probably placed an order for one of these promising wireless network performance enhancers during the week of Macworld. And if you're like us, you're probably still waiting for that order to ship.

Even though our online order was placed way back when, it's not slated to leave Taiwan until around February 14. At the same time, however, we were able to swing by a local Apple retail store an pluck one off the shelf. Somewhat nonsensical from a customer relations standpoint, so pardon us while we grunt.

Nevertheless, they are shipping. If you're looking to pick one up this weekend, you best call around. While some Apple retail stores have received shipment, others have not. And there appears to no methodical procedure behind which stores are first to receive their inventory.

Anyway, the new AirPort Extremes, which weigh a couple of pounds, come nestled in rather uneventful packaging of relative dimensions. The router itself rests atop a cardboard platform bearing the "Designed by Apple in California" digression. Underneath are a power brick, power cord, AirPort Extreme install disc, setup guide, access point regulatory certification card and warranty pamphlet.

We'll have some additional details on the new base stations in the near future. In the meantime, enjoy our unboxing photos, below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    aaaagh, its got a nasty ol brick powerpack. blah bleh yuck!
  • Reply 2 of 105
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I could probably justify the $179 price tag if it allowed me to stream my music but I can't. And is it me or does anyone else think the design is weird. Why is it so big? What's up with that crevasse all the way around it that's going to be a dirt magnet? Since it's so big, why does it need a nasty power brick?
  • Reply 3 of 105
    just wish it had an ADSL modem built in
  • Reply 4 of 105
    This whole "Apple, Inc" thing must've come about very recently. I still see "Apple Computer, Inc." displayed on this hardware.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

This whole "Apple, Inc" thing must've come about very recently. I still see "Apple Computer, Inc." displayed on this hardware.

Good point.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

is it me or does anyone else think the design is weird.

Have you seen the competition? How is it weird ... I've got an Airport Express and still think it's great, but this one looks much better. Keeping it in size with the Mac Mini and Apple TV seems smart and overall it has a nice iPod dock aesthetic.

Quote:

Why is it so big? What's up with that crevasse all the way around it that's going to be a dirt magnet?

My bet is the antenna. Plural in fact. It supports 802.11 b,g and n. They need separate aerials, which each have their geometric requirements and are usually spread around and about Macs which are larger than that little base station ... hence the size.

The groove could be a dirt magnet though. But it does look good if you ask me, breaks up the boxy appearance with a contour and I bet the part above the groove is where the biggest antenna is housed.

Quote:

Since it's so big, why does it need a nasty power brick?

Heard about the Airport Express failure rate? Hardmac have good coverage. APX in 240 volt contountries especially have been overheating due partly to poor ventilation inside, which is also where their power supply is squeezed. Not good. Mine is fine probably because I live in a chilly environment, but Apple are smart to address such a defect.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    It'll probably be a while before this appears in Europe, the voltages here are off the scale.

And there's really no good-looking ADSL modem to match this beauty. Too bad.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    What about the wall mounting option? It seems to me Apple has left out this small option, which by the way, all the other routers already have it...
  • Reply 9 of 105
    IF it had GigaBit ethernet ports, I would buy two to replace 4 linksys boxes.

Sadly enough Apple still has its head stuck on fast ethernet. It just doesn't make sense. Gigabit ethernet is standard on their (and my) computers, but their only network box isn't.

Apple TV lacks gigabit as well, come to think of it.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomasito68 View Post

What about the wall mounting option? It seems to me Apple has left out this small option, which by the way, all the other routers already have it...

Impossible without some form of bracket.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    Sexy

-Owl
  • Reply 12 of 105
    I wonder if it's possible to boot-up a Mac using the networked USB drive as the startup disk.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    now, the question: will they sell an 802.11n airport extreme card for things like my ibook g4?
  • Reply 14 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

On the cd it reads "Copyright 2007 Apple Computer, Inc." The hardware says 2006. Kinda interesting.

I think i'll wait awhile before getting one, our Linksys router still works alright.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

It'll probably be a while before this appears in Europe, the voltages here are off the scale. . . .

I thought so too. But I live in Paris and received an email today saying that mine shipped. Too bad the iPhone is a different story . . .
  • Reply 16 of 105
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I think this is a worthy replacement for the AirPort Extreme. However it should have AirTunes and an ADSL Modem to make it more attractive. If it's just a router it competes poorly with the likes of Netgear who make smaller Routers/ADSL Modems.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I'm surprised there was little to no packing/protection of the unit on top and sides. The photo seems to indicate just a thin piece of cardboard (top of the box) separates the unit from damage. You wouldn't want to bump it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post

now, the question: will they sell an 802.11n airport extreme card for things like my ibook g4?

Nope, unless there's something via USB 2.0 or ethernet.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

I think this is a worthy replacement for the AirPort Extreme. However it should have AirTunes and an ADSL Modem to make it more attractive. If it's just a router it competes poorly with the likes of Netgear who make smaller Routers/ADSL Modems.

Uh not everyone uses ADSL let alone DSL. I hate combo modem/routers. As it having switch, wireless, USB NAS, enough things can go wrong. All I wan to see is Gigabit Ethernet and maybe a audio out for Airtunes to make it perfect.

Is the wireless and wired network layered (as in Wired then wireless is behind that) or are they parallel. I assume layered since they only use one IP. Paralleled is better for security (but ain't going to get into that).
  • Reply 19 of 105
    My Airport Extreme 802.11n arrived 2 days ago.... and I live in *New Zealand*.... must be the first time ever that we get stuff this early!

Its working famously.

Jeremy
  • Reply 20 of 105
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    What do I miss about this? Wall mounting, gigabit ethernet (even for wan) , connections for external antennas, place for an Firewire drive (this is Apple, after all), a standard shape power brick (consistency) and a magsafe DC port.

It's really not worth 180 dollars right now.

Activity LEDs are unneccesary, though.

I do hope it's the same size as the Mac Mini, for stackability.