High-quality AirPort Extreme 802.11n unboxing photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I do hope it's the same size as the Mac Mini, for stackability.

It is.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    Looks like the same size as a Mini Which means it will sit on top of a Mini Stack Hard Drive. I just picked up a 320GB Mini Stack with a USB and FireWire hub in it so I now can hook this up to the APX and have a network HD and the USB hub to attack a Printer.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I am curious to find out if you can share multiple devices using a USB 2.0 HUB? If you have it, let me know if you have tried this. Thanks...
  • Reply 24 of 105
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    OH... are they available in stores yet?
  • Reply 25 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I am curious to find out if you can share multiple devices using a USB 2.0 HUB? If you have it, let me know if you have tried this. Thanks...

Yes. Apple's web site clearly states that you can use a USB hub to plug in multiple hard drives, printers, etc. with the new base station. This is a major improvement over the last one. Still, it would have been nice to get two real USB ports on there.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    Just for those who are complaining about no external ant. port the reason being it would actually have adverse affects because of the way N works multiple in and multiple outs. So haveing a port would make it even less speed and less range.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Since it's so big, why does it need a nasty power brick?

Power converters tend to create a lot of noise. There are performance advantages to isloating the converters from the rest of the electronics. It would be nice if it were internal, but I can understand why it's not.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Too bad there is no external antenna port...for $179 I would at least like to be able to use a high gain antenna with it but still have the sleek Apple look as opposed to the Linksys style...
  • Reply 29 of 105
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HitnThaNitrous View Post

Just for those who are complaining about no external ant. port the reason being it would actually have adverse affects because of the way N works multiple in and multiple outs. So haveing a port would make it even less speed and less range.

so add 2 or 3 ports...most other N boxes have 2-3 external antennas...
  • Reply 30 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Activity LEDs are unneccesary, though.

I don't think so, as I use the patterns as a quick way to help me check traffic / diagnostics.

Quote:

I do hope it's the same size as the Mac Mini, for stackability.

I think that might hurt your range if you put a mini on top, and Apple suggests that you not stack anything on top of a mini as it might put enough pressure on the top to damage the optical drive, and of course hurt the range of the wireless in the mini too.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post

Uh not everyone uses ADSL let alone DSL.

The "A" means asymmetric, not advanced. It only means one direction is faster than the other. It is pretty rare for a DSL service to not be not asymmetric.
  • Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Impossible without some form of bracket.

That wouldn't be unprecedented. I have bought wall-mount brackets for my Linksys gear. The units I have don't have built-in slots for screws, the bracket fixes that.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Good hardware pr0n. Now, speed test, speed test, speed tests!!!!11!!1!!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 105
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Uh not everyone uses ADSL let alone DSL. I hate combo modem/routers. As it having switch, wireless, USB NAS, enough things can go wrong...

Yeah, when I am near the equator there's usually thunderstorms every evening. Combo modem/router is just asking for trouble. The DSL modem is separate, so if that gets fried by lightning, the wired/wireless router may be spared.

Also naughty ISPs which just support their standard DSL modem will wash their hands clean of any help for you if you are using a combo modem/router. Screaming "Just give me the damn WAN settings motherfrackers!!" down the phone does not help...
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The "A" means asymmetric, not advanced. It only means one direction is faster than the other. It is pretty rare for a DSL service to not be not asymmetric.

I know that, but there is SDSL, etc, hence why I said ADSL and DSL.
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GamoGuy View Post

I wonder if it's possible to boot-up a Mac using the networked USB drive as the startup disk.

That would be 'no' since the network adaptor both wired and wireless isn't active until well after initial boot up.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    I'm very much appreciative of the work (and the cost) necessary to have these first looks at the hardware.

Upon looking at these pictures, though, I'm confused as to why the restart icon (above the restart pinhole) appears to be backwards in some of these photographs. Specifically, I recall the restart icon being a white triangle pointing backwards. Not only is the triangle pointing forwards in some of these photos, it appears that the triangle is pointing backwards in the photos where that icon is not in focus.

Have I gone mad, or is photo editing being performed?
  • Reply 38 of 105
    Excellent pictures - they put my phototography skills to shame.

I like the design very much and want an 802.11n access point. However, I have a couple of questions?
    1. How does the 802.11n perform in a mixed environment, e.g. with 802.11b&g devices as well as 802.11n clients? All the devices I have that connect wirelessly are 802.11g (iBook G4, PSP, DS) - I'll be purchasing a Macbook soon (about the same time Leopard is released).

2. Can it act as an wireless access point client or bridge? At present I have two identical US Robotics wireless routers - one is set up as an access point that connects directly to my ADSL modem and my web server (a Mac Mini). The other is in another room set-up as an access point client. The client has a hub connected and I am then able to directly connect to my xbox360, Slingbox and Pinnacle Showcenter.

• Reply 39 of 105
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Uh not everyone uses ADSL let alone DSL. I hate combo modem/routers. As it having switch, wireless, USB NAS, enough things can go wrong.

In the UK pretty much everyone does. Which poses the question: How do I connect this thing to the Internet?

I went into PC World - and the number of ADSL modems for sale was precisely zero.

(not counting USB types). There was an entire wall of ADSL / Wireless / Router combo boxes.

C,
  • Reply 40 of 105
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    What has lighting / thunderstorm do with phone line? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Would be nice if apple make variation with ADSL 2+ Modem that would appeal to 50%+ of the internet population who uses ADSL technology. ( Especially in the UK where they will sell loads, but then i would properly whine about Gigabit ethernet ^^)

And i read somewhere that it has 4 internal antenna?

And Has anyone tried the USB Disc sharing? Wanted to know if itunes server works.....