I just bought a macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got myself a macbook, i like everything so far, just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice dealing with it. thanks.

also how can i get windows media player on here? i tried to get it off their website but it didnt know how to open the app. any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jbgjbg Posts: 5member
    Maybe you need a program like Stuffit expander or Unarchiver to open de file?

Youll be needing these programs in the future anyway
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hey man congratulations on getting a new Macbook. I think it is definitely a good buy on your part, and I am thinking about getting one myself. One of the first reasons is, to install Windows and run Bootcamp ONLY to play PC games that aren't compatible on the Mac. This is a great feature that only the new intel processors allow. Anyways...if you are into gaming..or even a little bit..install windows and run windows games...a reason for this over mac games is that there are many more, and...they are a lot cheaper. I was in gamestop the other day and they had UT2004 brand new for $4.99 for the PC, yet for the Mac version, which you can order off the Apple website still cost $49. And Halo is quite the same...good luck with your new MAC!!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    asaadasaad Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macs_finest View Post

hey man congratulations on getting a new Macbook. I think it is definitely a good buy on your part, and I am thinking about getting one myself. One of the first reasons is, to install Windows and run Bootcamp ONLY to play PC games that aren't compatible on the Mac. This is a great feature that only the new intel processors allow. Anyways...if you are into gaming..or even a little bit..install windows and run windows games...a reason for this over mac games is that there are many more, and...they are a lot cheaper. I was in gamestop the other day and they had UT2004 brand new for $4.99 for the PC, yet for the Mac version, which you can order off the Apple website still cost $49. And Halo is quite the same...good luck with your new MAC!!

hey thanks a lot..yeah im into gaming but not really computer gaming, id like to play games on my macbook but i hear that its not good for doing that at all, just not powerful enough.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    WMP is not Intel native. You will probably do better with Flip 4 Mac: http://www.flip4mac.com/
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Or instead of Flip4Mac, you can try VLC player, it works quite well, plays all file types (even divx and xvid). Just google VLC player, or look on Apple.com (it's on the software page).

Best of all, it's free.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lawrenc967 View Post

Or instead of Flip4Mac, you can try VLC player,

I wouldn't say instead of, I'd suggest getting both.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Flip4Mac works as a Browser plugin too whereas VLC does not. VLC is handy but it's not a replacement for Flip4Mac. Flip4Mac player is also free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lawrenc967 View Post

Or instead of Flip4Mac, you can try VLC player, it works quite well, plays all file types (even divx and xvid). Just google VLC player, or look on Apple.com (it's on the software page).

Best of all, it's free.

• Reply 8 of 8
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    vlc and flip for mac are necessities. Also get opera so you can view any internet explorer only sites you come across. Use opera's "mask as internet explorer" feature.

Congrats on the mac.