Fireworks/Dreamweaver 5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Note: BBEdit rocks.

But in order to create and build interfaces I still must use Fireworks/Dreamweaver.

Wants...dreams...wishes... known features?

Anyone?

What I want

CSS

Integrated, easy-to-use CSS editor.

Needs to be fast, flexible and powerful.

A visual CSS editor where I can see the results in differant browsers as I create the file.

Plugins for syntax colouring

Being a Lasso coder (<a href="http://www.blueworld.com/"; target="_blank">blueworld.com</a>) it would be great to have LDML syntax coloured like in BBEdit. I'm sure PHP and .ASP people would benefit from it too.

Fireworks "site" can read DW's

It would be so nice if Fireworks could read and use Dreamweavers "sites" files... root-relative links, all URIs right there... shared Assets panel... ummm...

Nested tables in Fireworks

I want nested tables in Fireworks. I want, upon export, for them to be saved as discreet files.

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: BerberCarpet ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    calcal Posts: 17member
    Sounds like a nice feature list but don't forget about bringing it up to Mac OS X.

Also, don't be ashamed to use Dreamweaver/Fireworks... You don't HAVE to use it, but its ok to say you like to use it.

-Cal
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Give me HOMESITE!!!

Now that Allaire belongs to Macromedia, maybe we will be lucky enough to get HomeSite...that program alone is almost enough to make me use a PC.

They already package HomeSite with the PC version of Dreamweaver -- why not the Mac version too!!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Cal:

<strong>Sounds like a nice feature list but don't forget about bringing it up to Mac OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well of course... but I didn't figure that was up in the air.

[quote]Originally posted by Cal:

<strong>Also, don't be ashamed to use Dreamweaver/Fireworks... You don't HAVE to use it, but its ok to say you like to use it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not ashamed... frustrated.

I used DW pretty much exclusively from 1.2 to 4, but when I switched back to BBEdit several months ago I realized how much speed I was giving up simply waiting on DW to catch up with me.

So, my #1 new feature would be:

FASTER
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Yeah get Photoshop and Dreamweaver over to OS X and I'd be a happy man.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Neroon:

<strong>Give me HOMESITE!!!

Now that Allaire belongs to Macromedia, maybe we will be lucky enough to get HomeSite...that program alone is almost enough to make me use a PC.

They already package HomeSite with the PC version of Dreamweaver -- why not the Mac version too!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Homesite...a Web Developer's dream...a Web Designer's nightmare IMHO. I never liked it personally.

Wasn't Homesite tightly integrated with Windows Internet Explorer? That could have always been the reason it never saw (or will see) the light of day on the Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>Wasn't Homesite tightly integrated with Windows Internet Explorer? That could have always been the reason it never saw (or will see) the light of day on the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The reason it will never see the light of day on the Mac is becuase Macromedia's Dreamweaver team *love* BBEdit, but BareBones ain't selling.

And they won't try to compete with it... easier to include BBEdit with the Mac v. of DW than try to make Homesite work on Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Some Dreamweaver features I'd love to see:

convert paths

I would love to be able to convert a site with relative paths into a site that has paths relative to root. I would also like to be able to do the reverse.

indent code

I wish there was a way to have Dreamweaver properly indent/nest code which isn't indented.

better stability

Dreamweaver has always been buggy. I love it to death, but I would hope by version 5 they've managed to work out the kinks.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by eliahu:

<strong>Some Dreamweaver features I'd love to see:

convert paths

I would love to be able to convert a site with relative paths into a site that has paths relative to root. I would also like to be able to do the reverse.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now this would be nice. I would also like, as hinted at before, Fireworks to be able to do "link management" better.... tied into DWs "sites" and such. I believe there ought to be an Assets pannel in Fireworks that mirrors the Assets panel for the site you're working on in Dreamweaver... with all the links, images, colours and such.

[quote]

<strong>

indent code

I wish there was a way to have Dreamweaver properly indent/nest code which isn't indented. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed again. Though DW does allow for some custimzation by editing your config files, I want to be able to do things like:

[code]

&lt;img

src="/sourceToImage.png"

alt="Alt for image"

width="10"

height="10"

/&gt; </pre><hr></blockquote>

AUTOmatically... and not have it over write my careful indents.

While we're on it, I forgot to mention:

Standards compliant code

Not everyone creates standards-compliant websites (I know, what a shock!) becuase our tools make it hard to do so.

No one uses the "title" attribute on a link because DW doesn't make it easy to put in.

You have to know that it exists and go out of your way (Command + T) to edit the links individually.

Same thing for the "summary" attribute for TABLE

Oh... and proper DTDs.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think this is the year I go to GoLive...especially if version 6 is well-integrated with Photoshop 7(?) and InDesign 2. And even more especially ( ) if it ships for OS X first.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I keep seeing people using dreamweaver and photoshop, when I'm the otherway around. The two main apps I use are BBEdit and Fireworks. I find that bbedit gives me the control over the code I need (especially php), while fireworks allows me the flexibility to change graphics quickly for all those "minor changes" that clients alway want!

That's not to say I don't use dreamweaver, sometimes it's handy to rough out layouts, but until it properly supports php, I'm not likely to use it all the time.

So I'm desperate to see a native fireworks, as most of the macromedia programs behave dreadfully in classic, they're inconsistent, unstable and hog cpu. Fireworks uses over 30% cpu when doing nothing in the background, and over 60% when doing nothing in the foreground (on a G4/400). Yuk.

New features would be nice, but I really really want a native app that correctly uses carbon events so zero activity = zero cpu .

..then all I need is palm desktop...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    apologies... those cpu figures are for fireworks3, after posting I thought about it, downloaded the fireworks 4 trial and it's better behaved in classic (10-20% cpu in background, about 30% in foreground).

Damn, I guess I do have to find that upgrade money or wait for the native version.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote] while fireworks allows me the flexibility to change graphics quickly for all those "minor changes" that clients alway want!<hr></blockquote>

Gee, I do that on a dialy basis for my clients, wonder why you feel you can't make quick changes in PS?

Fireworks to me is a toddler version of PS. BBEdit is for coders while DreamWeaver is for designers (or non coders)

That's all I want for X, PS and DW.

For DW, I want better table editing. I use tables inside tables inside tables and it's hard to get them all to align correctly, leaving me with gaps. I then try to play with the code as much as I can and sometimes I have to open it in GoLive to edit the tables. GoLive has it's good points but Macromedia has won this battle with Adobe. That is, assuming that GoLive doesn't become native before DW does.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Gee, I do that on a dialy basis for my clients, wonder why you feel you can't make quick changes in PS?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to disagree... I also find Fireworks *much* faster to use than Photoshop.

I firmly believe that there are two kinds of people: Vector People and Raster People.

I would guess that we Vector People are in the minority, but like Mac users, know that we're the more productive ones, huh?

Fireworks was designed from the ground up by Vector People (it was origniated as a task force on the Freehand team) for the web, and as such, has lots of features that make creating/changing web graphics very quick.

[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Fireworks to me is a toddler version of PS. BBEdit is for coders while DreamWeaver is for designers (or non coders)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now now now... Fireworks isn't a toddler version of anything. It simply is designed to do a differant set of things than Photoshop.

I know photoshop and fireworks both backwards and forwards and I can be much more productive in Fireworks for almost everything except, suprise, photo-editing.