iPhone NOT the slimmest!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone is not the slimmest mobile phone. Period. Not even close. Not worldwide. Not even in the US.

Samsung (10.9mm slideout) OK... this one's not out yet. But all the following are:

Nec (7mm credit card)

KTF (7.9mm candy bar)

NTT Docomo (11.4mm -- when closed!!! -- flip phone)

Motorola (10.9mm candy bar -- AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW IN THE US and UK!)

So can we please stop spreading this incorrect info?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Sorry, these are not smartphones. Go back an re-read Apple's promotional materials.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yah that would be like comparing a SUV to a SmartCar...very different things.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    It seems that the Moto Q is 11.5 mm to iPhone's 11.6 mm.

I wasn't even aware that there was some campain to portray iPhone as the "slimmest smart-phone ever." I would submit that there are far more important things to focus on.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

It seems that the Moto Q is 11.5 mm to iPhone's 11.6 mm.

I wasn't even aware that there was some campain to portray iPhone as the "slimmest smart-phone ever." I would submit that there are far more important things to focus on.

Well, I guess I will struggle with the extra .1 mm.

Will get a tad more functionality from the iPhone though so having to painfully deal with the extra thickness will be worth it in the long run.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,445member
    I wouldn't mind whatsoever if Apple made the iPhone 14 mm thick (80 GB iPod thickness). This could mean:

1. Bigger battery for 8 hours of video/phone/WiFi and 24 hours of audio

2. 16 to 32 GB of flash or a 100 GB hard drive

3. 3G radio

And yes, I think Jobs was saying slimmest smartphone or something like that. But it really doesn't matter too much at this stage of the game.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

I wouldn't mind whatsoever if Apple made the iPhone 14 mm thick (80 GB iPod thickness). This could mean:

1. Bigger battery for 8 hours of video/phone/WiFi and 24 hours of audio

2. 16 to 32 GB of flash or a 100 GB hard drive

3. 3G radio

And yes, I think Jobs was saying slimmest smartphone or something like that. But it really doesn't matter too much at this stage of the game.

Absolutely. It's the one area of Apple/Jobs' obsession with detail that I could live without: wringing every last millimeter out of the size of things, even when it means sacrificing battery life and functionality.

I guess I more or less understand it when it comes to portable things, but then it gets applied to something like the Mini, for no conceivable reason, and it just jacks up the price and decreases performance.

It's like Jobs has some kind of bizarre design anorexia. "No, no it's still fat! It's hideous! Make it smaller!"
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Absolutely. It's the one area of Apple/Jobs' obsession with detail that I could live without: wringing every last millimeter out of the size of things, even when it means sacrificing battery life and functionality.

I guess I more or less understand it when it comes to portable things, but then it gets applied to something like the Mini, for no conceivable reason, and it just jacks up the price and decreases performance.

It's like Jobs has some kind of bizarre design anorexia. "No, no it's still fat! It's hideous! Make it smaller!"

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

its called a zoon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact

I've been reading Steve Jobs's biography for the past few days and I've read many similar and funnier statements. The difference is, those were actual statements spoken by him.