Next ipod coming...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any ideas as to when it will be coming out. I dont want to get the one currently on the market and then in a month a newer model comes out. What is thought to be in the next generation of ipods vs. what is currently being used.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Apparently today Apple will unveil the next gen iPod. As discussed in this thread over at Think Secret:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=22289

The discussion moves between 'Apple didn't book any SuperBowl ad time so don't expect any Apple ad' to 'But they could have booked it through a proxy agent' to 'Rob Enderle says new iPods introduced at SuperBowl'. [Check out the third paragraph of Enderle's column.]

Regardless most people seem to agree that the technology of the next gen iPod is the same as in the iPhone (minus the phone part) and as such 'finished'. So it's only a matter of Apple deciding when to launch them. Before or after the iPhone ships. They'd do it after if they feel it would take sales away from the iPhone, or before if they don't.

My opinion is they'll annouce new iPods before the iPhone ships since these iPods will be HD based models, which are on a different level than the iPhone's 8GB and not really competing with each other.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Here's to hoping. I'd love to pick up a widescreen iPod at the local Apple store tomorrow morning.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csi95 View Post

Here's to hoping. I'd love to pick up a widescreen iPod at the local Apple store tomorrow morning.

My credit card is waiting.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Too much to ask:

1. Aluminium.

2. Colors. (Blue, Green, Red, Pink, Orange, Black, Silver, White if possible)

3. Two sizes: 40GB and 100GB.

4. WiFi and bluetooth 2.0 EDR.

5. Same size as existing from factor iPod with curved shape of new nano's.

6. Full screen with touch controls.

7. Coverflow with on-screen controls.

8. Possibility to buy iTunes content in a WiFi hotspot through toned down version of the iTunes Store.

9. That's all. (no phone, no email, no sms) It's not a phone, it's a wireless iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Apparently today Apple will unveil the next gen iPod. As discussed in this thread over at Think Secret:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=22289

The discussion moves between 'Apple didn't book any SuperBowl ad time so don't expect any Apple ad' to 'But they could have booked it through a proxy agent' to 'Rob Enderle says new iPods introduced at SuperBowl'. [Check out the third paragraph of Enderle's column.]

Regardless most people seem to agree that the technology of the next gen iPod is the same as in the iPhone (minus the phone part) and as such 'finished'. So it's only a matter of Apple deciding when to launch them. Before or after the iPhone ships. They'd do it after if they feel it would take sales away from the iPhone, or before if they don't.

My opinion is they'll annouce new iPods before the iPhone ships since these iPods will be HD based models, which are on a different level than the iPhone's 8GB and not really competing with each other.

Funny, because besides Enderle the other source they cite is an article at.....Apple Insider! It's the amazing Apple rumor site self reinforcing two-step!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    "Enderle" is Swedish for "full of it".
  • Reply 7 of 14
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Well it's not coming today unfortunately. I don't think Apple would want to share the spotlight with the Super Bowl. Plus the Super Bowl is halfway over already. Too bad really. Today is my birthday, would have been a nice birthday present.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Happy Birthday ApplePi!!!

It's my friend's birthday today too...He's sad because he thinks everyone will be watching the Superbowl rather than celebrating his birthday.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Thanks. I'm old enough to be thankful if people don't recognize I'm a year older.

But man, it would be nice for Apple to drop us a new iPod. That's the one piece of hardware I'm really looking forward to now, and it would have been a nice birthday surprise. Maybe I'll just have to get one of those pretty new shuffles instead. That green and orange one are looking good.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I heard something on CNBC this morning that caught me by surprise, if I heard it right. The guy covering the Nasdaq was talking about Marvell being down because the next generation video iPod would use flash memory instead of a HD. Huh? Turns out, there was a rumor 2 months back on Gizmodo about a flash-based 16GB video iPod. The info came from an analyst. Brian Lam said it wouldn't be THE video iPod but something in between the nano and the full sized iPod.

Right now, the 8GB nano and the 30GB iPod are the same price, $249, so what would a 16GB iPod go for? My guess would be ditch the 30GB iPod, sell the 16GB flash iPod for $299 and sell a 100GB true video iPod for $399. The iPhone is $499.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I heard something on CNBC this morning that caught me by surprise, if I heard it right. The guy covering the Nasdaq was talking about Marvell being down because the next generation video iPod would use flash memory instead of a HD. Huh? Turns out, there was a rumor 2 months back on Gizmodo about a flash-based 16GB video iPod. The info came from an analyst. Brian Lam said it wouldn't be THE video iPod but something in between the nano and the full sized iPod.

Umm, Marvell makes 1.8" hard disk drives? I thought Apple got their 30/80 GB HDDs from Toshiba. Marvell makes an ARM CPU or other semiconductor component in the iPods though.

I also think going with flash is a bit crazy right now. Maybe in 2 years, but not now. The current Flash price/GB and cubic centimeter/GB are still 5 to 10x higher than disk drives. I can't see how a 16 to 32 GB flash drive would be an affordable solution for Apple. If I was Apple CEO, the lineup for mid-07 would be:

Code:

$ 79 iPod shuffle 2 GB flash

$149 iPod nano 4 GB flash

$199 iPod nano 8 GB flash

$249 iPod 40 GB disk w/click-wheel

$349 iPod video 100 GB with touch-screen; no WiFi nor Bluetooth

$399 iPhone 8 GB flash

$499 iPhone 40 GB disk

$599 iPhone 100 GB disk

But then, I don't run a business, do I? I can see replacing the 30 GB disk iPods with 16 GB flash at the same price point, but the battery life better go up by 50% if that happened.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Marvell makes the chips for the HDs that go into the iPods. See:

Apple's New Video-iPod May Get Bigger Screen, Lose HD

Anyway, the Tortora note is what the CNBC guy was referring to when commenting on MRVL yesterday. There are some good advantages to adding flash to an iPod. One idea I had was adding a small amount of flash, say 512MB, for OS X to run on, in addition to a 50/100GB HD. Going with just flash would allow for a thinner, lighter iPod and eliminate any problems with sudden, jarring motions.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Marvell makes the chips for the HDs that go into the iPods. See:

Apple's New Video-iPod May Get Bigger Screen, Lose HD

Anyway, the Tortora note is what the CNBC guy was referring to when commenting on MRVL yesterday. There are some good advantages to adding flash to an iPod. One idea I had was adding a small amount of flash, say 512MB, for OS X to run on, in addition to a 50/100GB HD. Going with just flash would allow for a thinner, lighter iPod and eliminate any problems with sudden, jarring motions.

Oh. Hard disk microcontrollers. Didn't think I'd be in a conversation that discrete, sorry.

On the 16 GB flash iPod, if it in fact sells, such as the 8 GB nano over the 30 GB iPod, well, it seems to me that 90% of the consumers of have hit a storage ceiling for music with 4 to 8 GB of memory, and would prefer battery time and portability over storage. Still, in an age where video could be watched on your iPod, I'd have to imagine 30 to 40 GB as a better value proposition.

Perhaps Apple has really done it homework with the iPhone then as well, instead of a targetting storage to compete against the iPhone's competitors. 90% of customers will only have something like 500 songs and 4-5 hours of video, and that's the target. Still seems cramped. If the iPod video and iPhone are to be used regularly to watch TV and movies for the mobile (airplane trips, layovers, trains and buses) I definitely think 30-40 GB would be more proper.

I'd be curious to see 8 GB iPod nano sales over 30 GB iPod sale last quarter. If the 8 GB sold a lot more, either people aren't paying attention, or they really do in fact only liston to music on the iPod, and do not watch video or view photos. If that is so, than the cell phone market is really gone beyond the point of featuritis.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

One idea I had was adding a small amount of flash, say 512MB, for OS X to run on, in addition to a 50/100GB HD.

Not that new of an idea. The iPods already come with a 64 MB DRAM chip (or have they changed to flash by now?) for skip protection. They should up to 512 MB if OS runs on it though.