Palm Desktop for OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've booted into OS 9.2.1 only once since installing OS X 10.1 on my iBook. (My Rev.A Bondi iMac, with its small 4GB drive, serves as my OS 9.2 system.) However, there's two things that I am still missing: (1) a driver for my Epson EPL-5700i laser printer and (2) Palm Desktop for OS X. My Palm IIIxe has been languishing away since I switched to OS X full time because I can only synchronize it with my old iMac. And I refuse to run Classic on my iBook.

The only information I can find about Palm Desktop for OS X is on Apple's <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/"; target="_blank">Mac OS X Applications</a> page. It's actually quite detailed, but provides zero insight as to when it might be available. I've heard people say that it will ship by the end of the year. But that's not helpful at all.

Two weeks ago, I wrote to Nick at Think Secret, who replied he would look into it. But nothing has come up yet. I also e-mailed Meader at MOSR, just to see what he would come up with. But nothing there yet either.

Do any of you guys here know anything about Palm Desktop for OS X? And for the AI editorial team: How about picking your sources' brains and making your comeback with a feature article about Palm Desktop for OS X?

Escher

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Is there no interest in Palm Desktop for X? Is there no information at all about it? Or, even worse, neither?

I guess we'll get to the less speculative future software topics once excitement over the reborn AI boards dies down.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>Is there no interest in Palm Desktop for X? Is there no information at all about it? Or, even worse, neither?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Plenty of interest here, but I know as much about it as you do. *shrug*

My guess is we'll see a Carbonized version of the existing Palm Desktop application in February, along with it-more-or-less-works HotSync capability. A few conduits will be broken, and AvantGo won't work. No new functionality, and only halfhearted support of the existing functionality.

Palm in general is a fairly "good-enough" kind of outfit.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    What are the chances that now Palm has split the Apple licences the Palm OS and puts is in a handheld manufacturered by some one else just like the iPod. Sony has gone a similar route with some nifty featurers like increased resolution? If Apple did this and made it come out with the OS X desktop it might make sense.

It would cost relativly little to develope, effectivly Apple would be a marketing company for such a product.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    There's plenty of interest...unfortunately it's been tempered by the failure of Palm and/or Apple to work together and get the damn product out the door (and spare me the flames as to who is at fault...I could care less, and I doubt any opinion would rise above the level of speculation). Maybe the release of a beta on the Net will raise the profile (and increase the posts to this thread).

However, if this continues, I'll try and write something to allow syncing with Entourage for OS X. over X-mas break (at least to facilitate importing data). I'd rather not, I mean, I'm busy enough with school and all, but I'd like to keep using my Visor. I could switch to using solely OS X if the bastards would get a product out the door.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: jra55 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Well, I'm waiting on it too.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [Reposted here at baldyman's request -Amorph]

from the Register:

Palm's line is that a new, OS X-native version of its Palm Desktop software will be released "later this year", and will be Carbonised, according to a company spokeswoman. It is rumoured to: show the PDA on the OS X desktop; automatically sync data stored on it; allow apps to be installed on the device by drag and drop; and data to be viewed by double-clicking on the appropriate icons. We also hear that most organiser data can be accessed through Palm Desktop's dock icon.

That's the rumour: Palm is saying nothing.

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/22765.html"; target="_blank">theregister thread</a>
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>[Reposted here at baldyman's request -Amorph]

from the Register:

Palm's line is that a new, OS X-native version of its Palm Desktop software will be released "later this year", and will be Carbonised, according to a company spokeswoman. It is rumoured to: show the PDA on the OS X desktop; automatically sync data stored on it; allow apps to be installed on the device by drag and drop; and data to be viewed by double-clicking on the appropriate icons. We also hear that most organiser data can be accessed through Palm Desktop's dock icon.

That's the rumour: Palm is saying nothing.

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/22765.html"; target="_blank">theregister thread</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

This same rumor was also circulating around the web before MWNY as well with a before-end-of-year release speculated.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>

This same rumor was also circulating around the web before MWNY as well with a before-end-of-year release speculated.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's the logical thing to release, really. Anything less would be pointless, and anything more might make it too complicated. Also, what more could you really do to a PIM/Palm connection app? Desktop mounting was on my wishlist, but there's not much else I really need.

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Would you believe the battery on my palm is completely dead? That's right my poor palm is dead (for now) because of it's makers. O' Long for the day when syncing was never a thought.

-Will
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Well, since we were promised a PalmDesktop for OS X "before the end of this year" I'd expect we should have it by Christmas. Sure, they could push it all the way back until New Years, but if they get it out before Christmas then that opens up the oportunity for lots of people to get Palms for Christmas to go with their nice, new, shiny OS.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    This is good news. I'm looking into a PDA for Christmas, and I'm going to want to sync with Entrourage v. X.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>This is good news. I'm looking into a PDA for Christmas, and I'm going to want to sync with Entrourage v. X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let's hope that Palm releases the proper conduits alongside Palm Desktop for OS X. Otherwise you won't be able to sync with any alternative OS X PIMs, e.g. Entourage.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I have been looking for this too but found nothing, I am actually just hoping someone can make it work with Newtons so that I can sync mine with my PowerBook.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Does anyone think the sorry state of USB in OS X have anything to do with. Sure it works via classic but ... ?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    I am running OS X.1.1, and have an lod Palm 3 with OS 3.0 on it..... I am using Palm deskltop 2.6.3 whichs runs in Classic and I have the USB cable KIT....

aand you know what, IT WORKS !

It syncs better than it ever did under OS 9.x, and I have not had one problem with it. I cant believe tha I am the only one where this is the csase .

Happyt syncing

Cheers

Adam
  • Reply 16 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Adam11:

<strong>I am running OS X.1.1, and have an lod Palm 3 with OS 3.0 on it..... I am using Palm deskltop 2.6.3 whichs runs in Classic and I have the USB cable KIT....

aand you know what, IT WORKS !

It syncs better than it ever did under OS 9.x, and I have not had one problem with it. I cant believe tha I am the only one where this is the csase .

Happyt syncing

Cheers

Adam</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been saying that since I installed OS X one Saturday morning. It works best if you let the hotsync stay front-most. But that's always true for hotsync.