Airport 2.0 Released

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
woohoo!

all i want though is support for a PPPoE Software Base Station under OS X...

taken from macnn:

AirPort 2.0 adds AOL, 128-bit support

Apple today released AirPort 2.0 software as well as an updated AirPort base station. Version 2.0 of the software supports AOL 5.0 (US only), 128-bit encryption, CISCO Leap clients, integrated firewall protection, and RADIUS support for centrally manage user access control. (Note that encryption for original AirPort Base Stations will remain 40-bit, while AirPort cards are updated to support 128-bit encryption via firmware.) Apple is also shipping new AirPort Base stations that support up to 128-bit encryption, offer two Ethernet ports, and support up to 50 users on a single base station. [Website updated, but software not available online nor via OS X; use OS 9 control panel]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Cool new white base station.

• Reply 2 of 6
    i like the new color. a perfect compliment for my iBook...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Now I just gotta find someone who will buy my 3 month old base station off eBay

Mac Guru
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I can't get the update for some reason (I'm in Mac OS X 10.1 w/Security Update).

Any way, does anyone know if your Mac will still connect to your 'old' base station after upgrading it to 2.0?

I'm a little wary of upgrading, only to find out my 'old' base station is unable to see my Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I can't get the update for some reason (I'm in Mac OS X 10.1 w/Security Update).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Try again. It is available via Software Update under X now as well.

[quote]<strong>Any way, does anyone know if your Mac will still connect to your 'old' base station after upgrading it to 2.0?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just did the upgrade to 2.0. The update also includes new software for the base station. The install requires a restart of your Mac, but apparently not of the base station. Interesting. So far it's working just fine for me.

Escher

(with a 2-year old base station)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>The install requires a restart of your Mac, but apparently not of the base station. Interesting. So far it's working just fine for me.

Escher

(with a 2-year old base station)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The new v2.0 of the AirPort Admin Utility uploaded new software to my base station and restarted it.

Btw. a bug where the AirPort connection was lost after sleep is now fixed