Apple confirms June date for World Wide Developers Conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple this week acknowledged that its 2007 Worldwide Developers Conference will take place during the second week of June in downtown San Francisco, two months earlier than the previous year.

The Mac maker said the annual gathering of software and hardware developers will run June 11th through the 15th, confirming dates published by AppleInsider last month.

"This June, the center of the Mac universe will be in downtown San Francisco, as developers and IT professionals from around the globe come together for the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference," the company said. "Don't miss this opportunity to connect with Apple engineers, get a firsthand look at the latest technology, and spend a week getting the kind of inspiration you won't find anywhere else."

Further details, including the host venue, were not provided. However, it's been reported that the conference will remain at the Moscone West convention center.

Last year's WWDC took place during the second week of August and gave way to the first public demonstration of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, new Xeon Xserves, and the quad-core Mac Pro workstation.

This year's conference is expected to coincide with the consumer release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and the launch of at least one new Mac system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    this is good. I haven't been following the WWDC events very thouroughly through the years but dont they normally take place around august or sometime in august?

Leopard
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa View Post

this is good. I haven't been following the WWDC events very thouroughly through the years but dont they normally take place around august or sometime in august?

Leopard

No, May/June is the normal time frame for WWDC. Last year's WWDC in August was the odd one out.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Woo! WWDC I can't wait!

I've been dying for Leopard... and I'm going to assume they are going to announce the iPhone is shipping

We all know what happens when you assume.

I don't know about a new Macintosh system though... Maybe its time for the Mac Mini to get a new update?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjayBot View Post

I don't know about a new Macintosh system though... Maybe its time for the Mac Mini to get a new update?

WWDC is one of the times that pro machines are often updated. The original G5, Mac Pro and Xserve Xeon systems were introduced during a WWDC. I think other Xserves were announced then too.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    If the iPhone is not shipping by then I think Steve will announce the ship date. Just because Apple said June we all know that may mean June 30

I also believe the main topic for discussion will be an iPhone SDK. Leopard will have just come out so it's not likely that they will discuss Mac OS 10.6 till next years WWDC. Developers will have to have something new and exciting to code for otherwise this years conference will be a snoozefest as they will just be covering the same topics as last year.

Here?s to hoping!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

WWDC is one of the times that pro machines are often updated. The original G5, Mac Pro and Xserve Xeon systems were introduced during a WWDC. I think other Xserves were announced then too.

so then time for the 8core mac pro?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Well you gotta have something to run the (released by then) new creative suite
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

I think that would come out sooner.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Does this give any clues about what will be coming in June?

• Reply 10 of 23
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    is June considered as spring? Sounds more like summer to me.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I believe the first day of summer is June 21.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Quarters are often like this:

Jan-Mar - Winter

April-Jun - Spring

Jul-Sept - Summer

Oct-Dec - Fall
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

i hope so, its time to update my 2003 power book g4 1.33 ghz

i could almost laugh at those specs now
  • Reply 14 of 23
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    What do you think will be introduced at WWDC?

My guess is that Leopard, iLife, iWork, a bunch of updated Macs, and the iPhone will all ship prior to this event. So, what's left? Maybe a new 12" widescreen MBP. Maybe some other new portable device.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This year's conference is expected to coincide with the consumer release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and the launch of at least one new Mac system.

Lanch or refresh of a current mac? They're different things. I'm hoping an all new system.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

What do you think will be introduced at WWDC?

My guess is that Leopard, iLife, iWork, a bunch of updated Macs, and the iPhone will all ship prior to this event. So, what's left? Maybe a new 12" widescreen MBP. Maybe some other new portable device.

Hopefully, new monitors with LED backlighting, and HDMI 1.3, or equivalent inputs, but NO speakers.

I hope we'll see other Mac upgrades before then.

Looking further forwards, for Macworld, 45 nm chips. Express 2.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quarters are often like this:

Jan-Mar - Winter

April-Jun - Spring

Jul-Sept - Summer

Oct-Dec - Fall

There is a very good thread on the definition of spring around the world here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ghlight=spring

We probably don't need to do it again...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Anyone else hoping leopard would release before Vista?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iconsumer View Post

i hope so, its time to update my 2003 power book g4 1.33 ghz

i could almost laugh at those specs now

Hey, watch it!! I have an '01 867 Mhz PowerBook.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

That's correct. So Leopard most likely will be released at WWDC with all the secret goodness being let loose on the world.