aac or mp3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My songs on itunes right now are mp3 and I was wondering if I should convert them to aac to make more space? But the thing is I tried to and an error keeps coming up after a couple of songs and it takes a long time anyways. So should I just save the time and keep them as mp3 and have all new songs be converted to AAC?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Converting from one lossy codec to another will create a poor sounding file. Leave them as MP3s, or better yet, re-rip your CDs as AAC.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I would re-ripp the CDs except most of my songs aren't from CDs and the ones that are I no longer have the cd for. I'll leave it as MP3 but for incoming songs should I make them AAC?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    If an Ipod is not used in vehicle, check specs of in dash cd player. Many I've seen support mp3 not aac.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    So I tried converting to AAC, the song qualities of the ones that DID convert was the same but I got an error when I got to around song 50. And I tried about 7 times. So I decided to keep it as mp3. A 30gb holds about 7500 songs with AAC if I use mp3 format will it be much of a song limit difference? On my nano it is only about 150 song difference. I don't think I will ever get above 3000 songs so I have space to spare but I just want to know. Or should I change my preferences to make NEW imported songs be AAC?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rara Posts: 623member
    My vote goes for mp3 - everything supports mp3; everything doesn't support aac.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Most manufacturers make car stereos that support AAC.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charliecharlie View Post

So I tried converting to AAC, the song qualities of the ones that DID convert was the same but I got an error when I got to around song 50. And I tried about 7 times. So I decided to keep it as mp3. A 30gb holds about 7500 songs with AAC if I use mp3 format will it be much of a song limit difference? On my nano it is only about 150 song difference. I don't think I will ever get above 3000 songs so I have space to spare but I just want to know. Or should I change my preferences to make NEW imported songs be AAC?

Yes, newly imported songs should be AAC, 160kbps is very good quality for size. Or 128kbps (same as mp3 bit rate) AAC is better than MP3.

Don't convert your existing MP3 files to AAC. Keep them as .mp3 .
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yes, newly imported songs should be AAC, 160kbps is very good quality for size. Or 128kbps (same as mp3 bit rate) AAC is better than MP3.

Don't convert your existing MP3 files to AAC. Keep them as .mp3 .

Alright thank you, I'll change my preferences to AAC.