Apple to target Vista at retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    OK. I have a couple of problems here.

First, I don't think it is ever a good idea to taunt your competitors. It tends to make them look more sympathetic. You can compete with someone without taunting and Apple is beginning to go too far. And I would never have my employees wear t-shirts that have my competitor's product name on them.

Secondly, if Apple is targeting PC users to get them to switch right now instead of upgrading to Vista, is that such a good idea with Leopard coming out in a few months (hopefully no later than June)?

Think about it: I switch to Mac. Two months later you tell me that there's a newer version of OSX that I should buy. How is that helping the Mac brand?

Apple should be offering discounted Leopard coupons with the purchase of a new system. I'm not saying they should give it away, but maybe sell a new system owner a $75 coupon for a Leopard upgrade when it becomes available.

That would make a lot of current system owners jump into new Macs too. And that would also be good for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why not? A dual 24" setup would be great. If I had the money, I'd jump for a second 30".

I'm fairly certain by then you've moved out of the mid-range computer market.
  • Reply 23 of 128
    @donebylee

Quote:

I have a couple of problems here. First, I don't think it is ever a good idea to taunt your competitors. It tends to make them look more sympathetic.

I think it will be a while before anyone harbors sympathy for Microsoft. Especially after they put the screws to the poor old Russian school principal (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/...ess/pirate.php). Besides, a little healthy competition never hurt anyone. I think the OS wars are more relevant now than ever, and no press is bad press, right? I would probably wait until Leopard comes out before launching a new campaign however.

Quote:

Apple should be offering discounted Leopard coupons with the purchase of a new system. I'm not saying they should give it away, but maybe sell a new system owner a $75 coupon for a Leopard upgrade when it becomes available.

This usually happens on new machine purchases within a reasonable amount of time before a new OS release.

but Most importantly!

http://www.vuckvista.com/
  • Reply 24 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I think Apple has to be careful with the way it targets Vista in the stores because it can easily come off as a class-less Bush league kind of maneuvre.

Pointing out Vista's shortcomings vis-a-vis OSX is okay. Taking on an air of smugness only appeals to Apple true believers (who don't need any convincing) and can easily turn off potential switchers if the self-satisfied attitude is interepreted as "How could you be so stupid as to be using Windows all these years?" There's a fine line. A very fine line.

I whole heartedly-agree. As many people have said, there is a way to compete respectfully? It's a bit childish on Apple's part to mudsling when, clearly, the product alone should speak volumes. If they are as confident in their product as they are, then there is no need for taunting.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    Oh no! Could this beautiful relationship be over?!!

Whether you believe it or not, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are good friends. They both are the leaders of their generation. They have been competitors in the early days and now have embraced a better method of business. It is called co-opetition.

With this method they are able to compete but also share specific forms of technology, products and marketing practices.

Deal with it. Learn more about it. Enjoy it even. Realize this and you won't be debating Windows vs. Apple in a technology or marketing in a forum anymore.

/but when gates leaves and ballmer rises...whole other story
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Please people, we're talking about Windows users here. Subtlety isn't their strong point.

Many of them view Gates as the greatest geek in the world, ignoring the fact that his last hands on experience with programming was over two decades ago. Notice how clueless he was about the arrival of the Internet and in his recent remarks about an 'attack a day' on Macs. If you want Windows users to grasp something, you've got to say it very clearly. Once they've switched, they'll start to understand better.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They have to shet 'em up before they knock 'em down, like any good performance it's all about timing. Leopard will come, have patience. Once Leopard ships they wont be even looking at Vista, all focus will be on Leopard when the time comes. Who knows how focused they are being behind closed doors as of right now?

So the question is how can you bash Vista when they are unwilling to show what Leopard can do and what it has to offer? It's a joke you can't compare when your always playing the "its a secret" game.

One of the biggest rules in business is you don't take the trying to make someone else look bad so you can look better. Apple should stand on their own and get new customers based on what their product has to offter not this my stuff is better than your stuff crap.

Its childish like their ads and makes them look stupid. Attacking MS just makes them look desperate.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    For all the people complaining about the new 'Security' Mac ad, have you actually SEEN it yet? Its really quite good and very funny. 8) :

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

I mean, I don't expect diehard Windows users to like it (or diehard Windows users posing as 'longtime Mac users'), but for everyone else, it is done deftly and humorously enough that I have no doubt the overall reaction will be positive.

Also, its silly to say that Apple shouldn't go after Microsoft, and that all comparisons are 'bashing'. They are COMPETITORS for god's sake, and its always refreshing to see someone not be afraid to go up to the plate against MS, who has a near-monopoly on the desktop.

Oh and as far as Apple being 'too aggressive'... have you caught some of the ads Oracle and SAP run against each other? Or what about the catfights Sun and Microsoft used to get into?

This is definitely PG-rated compared to any of that. So go Apple.

• Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Please people, we're talking about Windows users here. Subtlety isn't their strong point.

Many of them view Gates as the greatest geek in the world, ignoring the fact that his last hands on experience with programming was over two decades ago. Notice how clueless he was about the arrival of the Internet and in his recent remarks about an 'attack a day' on Macs. If you want Windows users to grasp something, you've got to say it very clearly. Once they've switched, they'll start to understand better.

Hes the richest geek in the world in fact the richest period. Leopard will not convert anyone, like everything else before as users move to new systems they will move to either Leopard or Vista as they did with OsX and Xp.

A year from now MS will still own 94% of the OS world as they always have. The only users excited about Leopard are current Mac users most PC users have no clue what Leopard is or is going to be, yet the entire world good or bad knows Vista.
  • Reply 30 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Hes the richest geek in the world in fact the richest period. Leopard will not convert anyone, like everything else before as users move to new systems they will move to either Leopard or Vista as they did with OsX and Xp.

A year from now MS will still own 94% of the OS world as they always have. The only users excited about Leopard are current Mac users most PC users have no clue what Leopard is or is going to be, yet the entire world good or bad knows Vista.

Yeah, Leopard won't convert anyone... oh wait, hasn't Mac marketshare been trending pretty strongly UP over the past year or two? So Tiger can convert folks, but Leopard can't? Or should we chalk it up 110% to the 'iPod Halo effect', nevermind that Apple generally had the better OS during that time?

Hey, I have no doubt that a year from now, MS will still own most of the desktop OS market. But Apple is making inroads, and I have no doubt that will continue, as well. 8)

• Reply 31 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yeah, Leopard won't convert anyone... oh wait, hasn't Mac marketshare been trending pretty strongly UP over the past year or two? So Tiger can convert folks, but Leopard can't? Or should we chalk it up 110% to the 'iPod Halo effect', nevermind that Apple generally had the better OS during that time?

Hey, I have no doubt that a year from now, MS will still own most of the desktop OS market. But Apple is making inroads, and I have no doubt that will continue, as well. 8)

Its been trending upwards because of the switch to intel, has nothing to do with the OS, however I do agree that it should because I have always said that Apple hardware means very little their true strength is their OS. Now that the intel hype is over the upward trend will end.

The point I was trying to make in my first post was, how can you go into battle against Vista when Apple is unwilling to truly promote their new product because they are paranoid about leaks. Its stupid. If your going to go into battle then don't just bash the competition actually present something.

I know too much logic and reason behind that.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Oh no! Could this beautiful relationship be over?!!

Whether you believe it or not, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are good friends. They both are the leaders of their generation. They have been competitors in the early days and now have embraced a better method of business. It is called co-opetition.

With this method they are able to compete but also share specific forms of technology, products and marketing practices.

Deal with it. Learn more about it. Enjoy it even. Realize this and you won't be debating Windows vs. Apple in a technology or marketing in a forum anymore.

/but when gates leaves and ballmer rises...whole other story

Who do you think your kidding? Nice PHOTOCHOP job!
  • Reply 33 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ReCompile View Post

Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

apple still does not have an mid-end desktop that is not a AIO what do you about the people that have a good display but can afford the mac pro and the mini is to weak for?

Unless you are in need of PCI cards, the "old way" of having a computer (i.e., separate screen, separate screen cable and power cable and possibly USB cable, and a wired mouse and keyboard attached to your computer restricting your movement, and not to mention that bit of difficulty placing your tower on the floor and bending over to plug things in or check the cables that may have come out or insert a DVD or CD or if you are windows, a "floppy" disc.) Go with the "clean" way. Integrated screen, cpu, dvd superdrive and massive hard drive storage.

Time to cast out the old thoughts. Not to mention, you still can attach that screen (please don't tell me it's a CRT) to the iMac. But with a 24" screen option, who would want to?

I want a desktop and I don't the idea of be forced to buy a bigger screen, more cpu, and so just to be ABLE to PAY MORE for a better video card also I want a desktop to have DESKTOP PARTS not laptop ones. I can build a system with better parts for the same price.

Apple needs to come with 10.5 for all pcs.
  • Reply 34 of 128

Steve: Ahh, so you think your pretty tough Huh?

Bill: Your Tiger style is no match for my crazy crane style! HA HA HA!

Steve: Maybe not, but you haven't tasted the wrath of my new crouching Leopard style.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its been trending upwards because of the switch to intel, has nothing to do with the OS,

There are many, many people who disagree with you on that. Most folks cite some combination of OS, Intel switch, iPod Halo effect, and a growing realization that Apple makes good comps. I think attributing it all to just one factor is a bit overly simplistic.

Quote:

however I do agree that it should because I have always said that Apple hardware means very little their true strength is their OS. Now that the intel hype is over the upward trend will end.

We'll see, won't we?

Quote:

The point I was trying to make in my first post was, how can you go into battle against Vista when Apple is unwilling to truly promote their new product because they are paranoid about leaks. Its stupid. If your going to go into battle then don't just bash the competition actually present something.

Uh... they can present the OS that Vista pretty much copies all-around... Tiger. \ In any case, if Apple did promote Leopard right now, folks would then be crying that Apple was comparing their 'vaporware' to MS's shipping OS.

Far as Leopard goes, don't worry, I'm sure you'll be hearing all about it soon enough, aka by summer.

Quote:

I know too much logic and reason behind that.

Well, logic and reason of a kind, I guess. But we can agree to disagree. 8)

• Reply 36 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trekker View Post

they should do a get a mac add where the PC guy keeps repeating every thing that the mac does and says

... ending with whatever killer app Steve Jobs says is coming in Leopard and silence as PC stands there with his mouth open.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

I want a desktop and I don't the idea of be forced to buy a bigger screen, more cpu, and so just to be ABLE to PAY MORE for a better video card also I want a desktop to have DESKTOP PARTS not laptop ones.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Quote:

I can build a system with better parts for the same price.

Does your math assume that your own time to chose parts, assemble parts and install software is free and that the software you put on it is free?
  • Reply 38 of 128
    I agree with those who say that an OS isn't going to convert anyone. I don't think the average PC user is going to switch to a Mac because someone, or some commecercial, says that a Mac is better.

However, if an OS is truly horrible, or difficult to use, it will cause people to switch. From what I'm reading, unless you buy a new PC with Vista already installed, updating to Vista is very difficult and frustrating and that might well cause some people to look around for another solution.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Fair enough, I suppose.

Does your math assume that your own time to chose parts, assemble parts and install software is free and that the software you put on it is free?

Could be if you run Linux, but then you usually need someway of downloading and saving/buring the ISO first.

Picking out HW isn't that hard, pick either AMD or Intel CPU, a board, video card, case, monitor, KB/mouse. It all depends on your budget more than anything, if you really wanted to, you can run a C2D system using AGP and DDR ram. You can build a kick-ass PC for less than $1000, I run Vista on a AMD A64 cpu and board that only cost $105, the other parts I already had, which might come out to another $500-600.

A couple hours to pick out parts and 2-3 to assemble and setup if you're knowledgeable. If Apple came out with a good mid-tower, I think you might see more mid-level/high-end PC users switch. I'm using an Intel Imac on campus right now, and I want nothing to do with one, but I would really consider a mid-tower for $1200-1500. All-in-one's are fine for my mom, but a Mac Pro is way beyond my budget.
  • Reply 40 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

... If Apple came out with a good mid-tower, I think you might see more mid-level/high-end PC users switch. I'm using an Intel Imac on campus right now, and I want nothing to do with one, but I would really consider a mid-tower for $1200-1500. All-in-one's are fine for my mom, but a Mac Pro is way beyond my budget.

Careful. You're about to be gang-tackled by the Apple Apologista Squad™, who insist that $2500 is a reasonable minimum entry-fee for an expandable Mac desktop.

For myself, I completely agree with you on this. Even if a lot of folks don't use expandability, a lot of them LIKE the IDEA of being able to expand their box/swap cards if need be, and will buy based in part on it. And Apple, if it were smart on this, would be just as happy to sell to folks who never actually use their expandibility but buy based on it, as it does to the folks who actually use/need expandability.

I mean, what kind of company goes, "Nah, you don't really need that. I know what's best for you"... and expects to be as successful as possible with that approach?