New York may ban iPods while crossing city streets

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
New Yorkers who heedlessly cross city streets while listening to their Apple iPod or fumbling with other electronics devices, such as cell phones, may soon face a hefty fine from the city.

According to both NBC and the Associated Press, New York State Senator Carl Kruger is expected to introduce legislation today that would impose a $100 fine for people who continue to use their electronics gadgets -- such as iPods, Blackberries, and video games -- while crossing the street.

Kruger said Tuesday that three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district were killed in recent months upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device.

"Government has an obligation to protect its citizenry," he said in a telephone interview with the AP. "This electronic gadgetry is reaching the point where it's becoming not only endemic but it's creating an atmosphere where we have a major public safety crisis at hand."

New York's streets are frequently consumed with gadget wielding and earbud bearing residents who are looking to fire-off that extra e-mail or pass the brunt of their daily commutes with a tune.

"I'm not trying to intrude on that," Kruger said. "But what's happening is when they're tuning into their iPod or Blackberry or cell phone or video game, they're walking into speeding buses and moving automobiles. It's becoming a nationwide problem."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Hmm...

I don't agree with this at all. I'd say these people get exactly what they deserve should they be hit by a vehicle.

I'd prefer to see a law that absolves the motorist of any blame should he hit someone walking along without paying any attention.

Stop protecting stupid people. That only ensures they'll breed more of the same. Additionally, leaving nice painted outlines in the street of the people eliminated in this fashion may help get the message across in a way that some silly law just wouldn't.

p.s. - I also hate seeing people fiddling with all this crap while they drive, so don't assume I'm trying to coddle those bastards...
  • Reply 2 of 60
    I agree, if they are dumb enough to get hit by NOT paying attention, then Darwinism is at work and doing good for human kind. Why does government continue to legislate everything we do in this life? Must they continue to "protect" us from everything? This law is a BAD idea!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    That is not the only drawback of these new devices. PEOPLE ARE SERIOUSLY DAMAGING THEIR HEARING!!!

Imagine a world in 20-30 years filled with deaf people. It will arrive. Just remember this post. You will hear your neighbors TV or radio because they will set them too loud to hear them. Then it will be TOO LATE!!!

But I guess money is money... Even for our beloved Apple...
  • Reply 4 of 60
    The increasing absurdity of NYC's laws is one reason neither Hillary Clinton nor former mayor Rudolph Guiliani will get my vote in 2008. I have an intense dislike of this sort of meddlesome 'nanny state' mindset with its accompanying attitude "we, the elite few, know more than you, the masses." NYC is heading down the same path that's making most major British cities unlivable--criminalizing ordinary behavior while trivializing actual crime.

Under Guiliani, it was claimed that adding and enforcing all sorts of petty meddlesome laws decreased the crime rate. In all probability, the criminals, being both practical and highly mobile, simply moved their operations to nearby communities. And in the end, NYC residents are stuck with a system in which they're more likely to be 'mugged' by a cop and fined by a court enforcing silly laws than they were to be mugged before.

Seattle, where I live, has a similar problem, probably an illustration of its tendency to mimic NYC. The city does nothing to catch teens writing graffati, but it's very zealous at forcing the victims (business and homeowners) to paint over the graffati or pay a fine.

And people in NYC are soooooo passive in the face of these insults to their dignity and intelligence. When Chicago passed a similarly dumb law recently, the law was openly ignored. Restaurants simply gave the banned food another name and the city's law enforcement announced that they had better things to do than enforce that law.

NYC is an entry point for the dreaded Euro-nanny state. Chicago is the Wild West where people take care of themselves and their friends. I prefer the latter.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

That is not the only drawback of these new devices. PEOPLE ARE SERIOUSLY DAMAGING THEIR HEARING!!!

Yes and we all know that Apple sets the volume control to the highest setting when they ship new iPods to purposefully damage everyone's hearing!
  • Reply 6 of 60
    The governing body's responsibility is to protect the rights and interests of responsible people. This law is a joke..."gee officer I forgot to look before crossing the street because I was using an electronic device" can now be replaced with "gee officer I was still using my electronic device while crossing due to being distracted by an electronic device" We would be better served by having the politician play pick-up sticks in a busy intersection.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    What? WHAT? What did you say?
  • Reply 8 of 60
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gspot2016 View Post

What? WHAT? What did you say?

thank you!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

The increasing absurdity of NYC's laws is one reason neither Hillary Clinton nor former mayor Rudolph Guiliani will get my vote in 2008.

I agree that the law would be silly. Hard as government would try, they cannot protect stupid people.

However, I don't understand what US Senator Clinton has to do with New York City laws.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    People need to be more aware. If not that's their fault. Survival of the wisest and those who use best judgement. What if a large number of people are hit by cars while crossing the street and eating food, or picking their nose. Ban that too?
  • Reply 11 of 60
    A $100 fine its fair. Stupidity has its price.

Should be more cause its not the device's fault. Its the users

I love USA, always funny stuff
  • Reply 12 of 60
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I agree that the law would be silly. Hard as government would try, they cannot protect stupid people.

However, I don't understand what US Senator Clinton has to do with New York City laws.

Exactly.

Madam Speaker: I need a personal jumbo jet on the people's dime, of course, since I'm "for the people".

White House: Sure.

*double-smack to them both!*
  • Reply 13 of 60
    raccracc Posts: 1member
    Banning ipods crossing streets is like banning breathing instead of banning smoking.

It is not ipods that kill people, it is the cars. In the US over 40,000 people a year are killed on the roads. Cars are a much greater danger to the average person than terrorism.

Just banning cars in NYC. That would make it much safer for everyone. This is done in the core of several European cities. As a side benefit, greenhouse gas emissions would also be reduced and NYC will not be flooded in 100 years. Oh yeah, and by not buying gas, the flow of money would be cut off to Iran and other "enemies" of the US. It is a win-win.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I dont see how implementing a $100 penalty on crossing streets while using electronic devices will make a huge difference over the current "you will get killed" penalty
  • Reply 15 of 60
    As I have always said:

"If you don't want to be hit by a moving vehicle, don't step in front of a car."

~first post, EVER. *bow* *bow*
  • Reply 16 of 60
    NYC already has a law against jay walking. The law is rarely enforced, but it does exists.

Would this new law it make it OK to jay walk so long as you're not using your phone or iPod?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    People who walk in NY are ridiculous. I mean, are they color blind? Green means GO, red means STOP, but pedestrians fail to notice that, and they get pissy when you honk at them. Idiots like that deserve to be hit.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdunnnyc View Post

NYC already has a law against jay walking. The law is rarely enforced, but it does exists.

Would this new law it make it OK to jay walk so long as you're not using your phone or iPod?

The laws are really there for when an accident happens. If one does happen, the authorities look over the laws that were broken to see who was at fault. If someone gets hit by a car and they were jay walking it will most likely lessen the charge on the driver if not erase it completely.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    This is even stupider than the ban on cell phones while driving... YOU CAN'T BAN STUPIDITY!!! IT NEVER WORKS!!! (and while we're at it, just try prove that stupid people being killed crossing the street is a nationwide epidemic... or a problem for that matter-lol) Man, if someone is that dumb, how did they ever figure out to sync their iPod? Well, I guess Apple one-ups NY State on figuring out how to idiot proof things...

Laws against idiocy, or technology? Which way is a more effective manner of dealing with the problem of idiocy?

IDEA: New York should spend their taxpayer-extracted cash on side-walks that recognize dazed idiots and stop them from entering with a swift 150,000 volt flying tazer prod which knocks them safely back on their tush and wakes them up quite effectively. :P
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neverending4181 View Post

People who walk in NY are ridiculous. I mean, are they color blind? Green means GO, red means STOP, but pedestrians fail to notice that, and they get pissy when you honk at them. Idiots like that deserve to be hit.

You are obviously from New Jersey where it is believed cars have the right of way and not pedestrians