Considering the switch, need advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm a long time Linux/Windows user, and I'm considering picking up an Apple computer. I was thinking about buying a Mac Mini just to see what all the "hub-bub" is about

My only concern is that I want to give it all a fair shot. I don't want to get a Mac Mini then complain about "How slow OS X is" and give up on it.

My current PC is an Athlon64 3800+, 2GB RAM, 7800GT and 10k RPM SATA drive running Ubuntu (Edgy Eft).

Am I going to be horribly disappointed with a 1.66ghz mac mini w/ (what i believe to be) onboard video? Would I really be giving OS X it's fair shake so to speak?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmdrlinux View Post

So I'm a long time Linux/Windows user, and I'm considering picking up an Apple computer. I was thinking about buying a Mac Mini just to see what all the "hub-bub" is about

My only concern is that I want to give it all a fair shot. I don't want to get a Mac Mini then complain about "How slow OS X is" and give up on it.

My current PC is an Athlon64 3800+, 2GB RAM, 7800GT and 10k RPM SATA drive running Ubuntu (Edgy Eft).

Am I going to be horribly disappointed with a 1.66ghz mac mini w/ (what i believe to be) onboard video? Would I really be giving OS X it's fair shake so to speak?

I think it will be pretty decent, from a performance standpoint. The mini is the only product in Apple lineup that I would wait to buy. It's long overdue for an upgrade and should see core 2 at the next refresh. Then performance will be good.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think it will be pretty decent, from a performance standpoint. The mini is the only product in Apple lineup that I would wait to buy. It's long overdue for an upgrade and should see core 2 at the next refresh. Then performance will be good.

i totally agree. the soon to be updated version should suit your needs swimmingly
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ok - i'll just hang out and wait for the next upgrade. I would really prefer a Core 2 Duo. Thanks! 8)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Do you plan on gaming in your Mac mini? If so the integrated graphics will not be the greatest. Outside of that a mini is a great way to test the waters on hte Mac platform. With parrallels you can run multiple OSs and have the best of both worlds.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    No gaming - mainly web browsing, programming, photos and graphics.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The mini might be upgraded along with otherhardware during the Feb 20th special event. I was previously a windows/linux user myself. I made the switch and won't be looking back.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neyoung View Post

The mini might be upgraded along with otherhardware during the Feb 20th special event.

• Reply 8 of 8
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    NOTE: Make sure you buy it with enough RAM.

512 is unacceptable and the machine will crawl.

Minimum recommended for good use 1 GB, go for the 2 GB if you can.

Once you have it, goto Parallels web site and download their trial and install Windows XP into it, then you can have ALL your programs running on a single platform.