Briefly: WWDC invite hints at continued Leopard focus; tix on sale

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A digital invite distributed to Mac OS X developers this week offers additional evidence that Apple's June Worldwide Developers Conference will feature ongoing discussion of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

The invite reads "Save the date," and depicts a calendar window within Apple's forthcoming Time Machine backup software -- one of the major enhancements slated to ship as part of Leopard.

Overnight, Apple also began accepting ticket orders for the conference. Those who register for the event early save $300 per ticket. A standalone ticket to the 5-day conference costs $1295, while a "buy four, get one free" 5-pack sells for $5180.

Apple is also offering package deals that include membership to the Apple Developer Connection (ADC). A WWDC ticket and "Select" ADC membership runs $1695, while a "Premier" membership includes access to WWDC for $3500.

Included with each ADC Premier or Select membership is the Leopard Early Start Kit, which provides exclusive advance access to a complete set of development resource to help developers deliver applications for the next major release of Mac OS X, including pre-release versions of Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    What, it ain't gonna be ready for release in June? Somebody find out how much it will cost to lure Allchin out of retirement.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The windows shown have a similar but very different feel when compared to current brushed metal and unified windows in OS X Tiger windows and Leopard preview windows. Note the beveled edges, the rounded corners, the feel that the contents of the window are sunken in a bit, etc. Some have speculated that Apple is completely re-doing the UI in Leopard and they point to the lack of major changes to some apps, especially Finder, as evidence of this.

Could this be the "new" look of Leopard windows? Or am I just reading too much into this?

Discuss.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Hey your right it is beveled, I didn't notice that until you said it. I think that'd be cool is that was the look for the whole OS, like all the infor was sitting inside the window, instead of just inside a top and bottom border.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    beveled as a click-area for window resizing using all four edges?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ick, I don't want my windows to look a relish dish. And the tiny surface area exposed by the bevels would make a tough target for resizing.

Those calendar pagers might be indicative of something, but I doubt it's the new look of windows in Leopard. There is zero functional reason to give windows the appearance of being slightly concave and lots of reasons why you wouldn't want to do that.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan953 View Post

beveled as a click-area for window resizing using all four edges?

Very well spotted! That could be it! Otherwise I do not see any need for such a relatively thick bevel. Hmmm...

On the downside, by the wording of things, Leopard will be finished/released at WWDC or slightly thereafter. That's another 5 months.

What we heard from beta test reports trickling in December/January Leopard did not feel close to being done yet. So a June release seems more likely from that point of view as well.

If Apple really wants to go head to head against Vista, they'd better make extra sure that OS X 10.5 is rock-solid. A bug-ridden release too early could very well spoil the whole thing. Which is another reason why a June release seems more likely.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Get serious. Do you people actually think Leopard is going to look like that? It looks like a calendar widget to me. And an ugly one too. Not like a regular MacOSX UI window.

It's just an ad...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A digital invite distributed to Mac OS X developers this week offers additional evidence that Apple's June Worldwide Developers Conference will feature ongoing discussion of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

No shit Sherlock.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

It's just an ad...

Sometimes an ad is just an ad...

Then again, Apple know that these things are scrutinized and often use them to convey more than just the obvious info. In hindsight, it will all be clear. Until then, we have 5 months to muddy things like crazy!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScottNY View Post

The windows shown have a similar but very different feel when compared to current brushed metal and unified windows in OS X Tiger windows and Leopard preview windows. Note the beveled edges, the rounded corners, the feel that the contents of the window are sunken in a bit, etc. Some have speculated that Apple is completely re-doing the UI in Leopard and they point to the lack of major changes to some apps, especially Finder, as evidence of this.

Could this be the "new" look of Leopard windows? Or am I just reading too much into this?

Disciss.

I think you're on to something. It does look similar to iTunes 7, which features the "Illuminous" UI. Perhaps this will be seen in Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I think you're on to something. It does look similar to iTunes 7, which features the "Illuminous" UI.

Where exactly did you get this info????

I don't believe the rumored "Illuminous" will even look remotely like iTunes 7...

I'm expecting big changes for the leopard UI, way more than changed scrollbar-colours.

For that reason alone I hope apple takes all the time it needs to get it perfect.

Even though I was hoping for leopard to appear before may so I could get it with the macbook I plan on buying before a conference I go to in may, I am pretty convinced by now WWDC will be the release-event.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What, it ain't gonna be ready for release in June?

You'll see heads on pikes in front of Steve's office and job openings for software engineers and programmers.